LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Unknown Maintenance History

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2018, 07:39 PM
8th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Unknown Maintenance History

Posted awhile back about looking into getting into an LR3 after coming across one I really liked, the time I spent doing my research on the LR3 in general caused that particular one to slip away before I decided to move forward with it. Now I have 2-3 other potential vehicles but one is a 06 HSE with 126k miles and in great shape physically. However, the Carfax shows no reported maintenance after 2012 at 63k miles. Obviously this could mean the 2nd owner (2 previous owners) could have done their own maintenance work or took it somewhere that didn't report the service done to it, the current owner is just someone that buys and resells vehicles and they have 0 clue about the service history.

While I'm really tempted because its a great looking black with tan interior HSE (my ideal LR3) with the Lux and HD packages (even better), would the risk of that lack of listed service/maintenance be a dealbreaker for most of you? The other one I was about to purchase until I came across the HSE is a silver SE with 114k miles and a meticulous dealer service history including the LCAs, hubs, brakes, air suspension, etc all recently serviced/inspected/replaced and a black SE which I'm trying to get more info on.

The truck is about an hour to an hour and a half away so I'd like to get some feedback on whether you guys think its worth looking at or saving the time and sticking to the one I know is up to date.

Lastly: The black SE is $2000 less than the silver SE but has 136k miles vs the 114k. Would saving that $2000 be worth the extra 22k miles?

Old 11-11-2018, 11:36 PM
Mudding
Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

It'd be nice to have the HSE package, etc. but from a car flipper with no maintenance records? I dunno about that one. It could have been from a wholesaler/auction house or such. Maybe ask him how he got into it and if he had any repairs done to it. If you can do most repairs yourself it may be worth the risk. An independent inspection may be the best route for either before you buy. Remember, these are fairly high maintenance vehicles.
It sounds like the silver one has most of the typical maintenance/repair items already addressed. It's probably worth the 2K extra to know these items have already been addressed. I'd lean towards this one if you didn't absolutely have to have the HD package.
That being said, buy the one that you feel comfortable with...

Old 11-11-2018, 11:55 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 460 Likes on 411 Posts
Default Lux Package?

What exactly is that on a 2006 LR3?

Old 11-12-2018, 06:29 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 75 Likes on 70 Posts

Obviously try both of them out, but on the face of it I'd say truck 2 without a doubt.

Also truck 1 should at a bare minimum have a couple hits in the carfax over those years from State inspections. Those not showing is a red flag

Last edited by Blackngold77; 11-12-2018 at 06:32 AM.
Old 11-12-2018, 08:31 AM
Super Moderator
Received 1,512 Likes on 1,239 Posts

My state doesn't have inspections so I don't know why that would be a CarFax hit.

Really service history is just the start you really have to get eyes on with a Land Rover to know the real story. If you are unfamiliar with them a PPI by a qualified shop is the way to go.

The HD package truck would be my first look to be honest but I like to wheel mine

Old 11-12-2018, 08:39 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 75 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by ArmyRover
My state doesn't have inspections so I don't know why that would be a CarFax hit.

Really service history is just the start you really have to get eyes on with a Land Rover to know the real story. If you are unfamiliar with them a PPI by a qualified shop is the way to go.

The HD package truck would be my first look to be honest but I like to wheel mine
Ah, in states with inspection each one shows up in the carfax report (failures and passes). It just shows with the date and "state safety inspection", but each one has the mileage noted

Old 11-12-2018, 06:34 PM
8th Gear

The Carfax just mostly shows "registration issued/renewed" after the last 2012 inspection by a dealer (see screenshot). The HSE model with Lux/HD packages are definitely nice but not a deal breaker - more interested in the options that came with the HSE model and Lux package than the HD but oh well, I'll survive (considering I was originally looking at 4Runners with 0 creature comforts). As much as I love the black on tan HSEs I feel like the smart thing to do would be to get the silver one.

Old 11-12-2018, 06:37 PM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by houm_wa
What exactly is that on a 2006 LR3?
As far as I can tell it just checks off all the option boxes. 19" wheels (might prefer having 18s anyway), some extra electronic goodies, the 14 speaker harmon/kardon system....but most importantly.....the refrigerator box in the center console, which is really the only reason I want the Lux package.

Old 11-12-2018, 08:44 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 460 Likes on 411 Posts
Default Hmmmm...

I didn't think the term "Lux" came into use u til the LR4 and maybe some RRS Option Packaging. At least in 2005, what you just described was simply an HSE + the refrigerated cubby as an option.

Old 11-13-2018, 08:52 AM
Winching
Received 109 Likes on 98 Posts

Pre-Purchase inspection is best, but if not, turn on everything, check all lights, turn signals, windows, mirrors, suspension heights, terrain response, and drive it in the parking lot in low range forward and backward to test the transfer case. Ask yourself if you would pay that for the car if all of those items were fixed. It could add $150 to $2000 to the price.

Simple things that get overlooked add up fast when you go shopping for them after the purchase. Look for the owners manual, make sure there are TWO keys, make sure there is a jack and tool kit, if it has a tow package make sure it has tow bar under the bumper or the quick connect tow bar in the left rear access panel, Make sure no one removed the trailer wiring, make sure it has Land Rover rubber or Land Rover carpet floor mats. Bringing these back to originally sold condition add quickly add up, so look for everything. Then dealer will use KB or blue book prices, but make sure the car is complete at those prices.

I plan $1800-$2000 above purchase prices to bring the car up to current service schedules and allow for the “unknown” that Land Rovers are known for.

After 5 purchased in 5 years, I have had a locking diff go out and a TPMS module go bad. everything else has been service or preventative in nature. The engine transmission seem to be strong and relaible if oil is changed regularly and the factory service schedules are followed.

Just my thoughts......... Good luck with your adventure and let us know what you did.

Jeff

Quick Reply: Unknown Maintenance History