LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Unknown Maintenance History

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2018, 10:02 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Having worked in the car industry, you need to take a Carfax report with a huge grain of salt. I like that it exists, but it doesn't tell the story accurately. The carfax for a recent LR4 I was looking at showed a major accident, but the reality was it was so minor that it was simply a minor issue with the rear bumper repainted. Since it was my dealership that repaired it, I had the opportunity to see the repair work. Carfax was so far off I had to laugh.

Back to the OP, the HSE would be me first choice, assuming you followed the advice given. Check every feature, period. I'm comfortable making my own check of a vehicle, without a Tech present, but I realize some don't have that ability. Nevertheless, I would ignore Carfax for all three and make my choice based on my own observations, not the report.

I don't recall my fully loaded HSE calling it a Lux package though, but I would have to find my original window sticker to confirm. The stupid cooler thing works, but might be the one and only feature I couldn't care less about.

Last edited by COSPILOT; 11-13-2018 at 10:06 AM.
Old 11-13-2018, 12:14 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 468 Likes on 419 Posts

....funny you say that, COSPILOT. When I ordered my '05 I had it spec'd with the cooler thing but NOT the cold climate package. About a month in, the dealer called me and said that there was a supply chain issue and LR couldn't offer the refrigerated cubby. Since in my mind I'd already spent that money, I re-configured and got the Cold Climate Package and I think the convenience package (just affected rear seats).

SOOOO glad that happened. The Cold Climate Package is way more useful than that refrigerated cubby.

Old 11-14-2018, 01:47 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Probably over the top, but I look for simple things as well. Did the car come with heated windshield but the owner didn't replace it with one? Is the oil filter factory, or some aftermarket product? I've never sent off oil analysis to a lab like I've done with airplanes, but it has crossed my mind.

Mine has over 152K on it, and the interior looks brand new. I don't care what Carfax says, if I find a used one low miles but the interior is in bad shape, that tells me the owner didn't care. It's not that hard to figure out if someone cared, or didn't care for the vehicle. Wealthy people can destroy a vehicle in a week, just as anyone can. Meanwhile people like me that can barely afford a very expensive vehicle take incredible care of it. Only you can decide during inspection.

Now the opposite story, and why I stress to know the car and what it should have... I'm a Corvette fanatic and cannot tell you how many low mile Vette's I've rejected buying over the years, even some under 2K miles. My instincts (not emotion) is what I focus on. Looked at an old 93 Vette months ago, the one I've been looking for years, under 2K and perfect in every regard, including window sticker, but it was missing a couple of things and the dealer wanted all the money for it. The encounter was by total accident as the dealership was close to my hotel in Texas. Called my friend and owner expert here locally, even offered to pay to fly him down to look at it. He was honest and refused my free flight and hourly cost, told me to walk away from the car. He agreed that the missing few items I found was a huge red flag for what appeared to be a perfect car. In this case, my emotions took over for a moment, but between my wife and my "expert" I calmed down and didn't buy it.

So as much as I want to buy another LR3 or even a nice LR4, I have to remind myself to look at everything, but make sure I'm thinking with logic, not emotion. Very difficult at times as I have a love for Jaguars and Land Rovers that goes back to the late 70's. I blame my parents; enough said.

Old 11-14-2018, 11:30 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 468 Likes on 419 Posts

Good tips...here is another one: Look for upgrades that indicate a really savvy previous owner, like the front diff breather cap, or a brass coolant bleeder valve/T.