LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

V8 4.4 Could Engine have been Damaged ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2020, 09:02 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default V8 4.4 Could Engine have been Damaged ?

Hi thanks so much for your past help..we have an LR3SE V8 4.4 with 183,000 Miles..have had it since 2 years old 23,000 miles.
In November some 7 months ago..the Radiator connection broke and coolant was pouring right out..I didnt realize it was pouring out till was diagnosed.
I just saw Resevour empty poured some coolant in and took off to Mechanic 6 miles away.
Engine was making a lot of Whoooooo noise struggling as we crawled there..but Temperature level on dash stayed steady
and never went up past its normal level. Engine bay hot but no obvious steam as you see in the movies..
Could that drive to mechanic with no coolant have possibly damaged the Engine ?
Radiator was replaced..and has been driving around like a dream since November..but yesterday similar
lack of power Whooooooo sound..see a little coolant dripping underneath..started to Mechanic car was hardly making it just like the last time
so stopped about 1 1/2 miles from there and got it towed.
When we took off to go there car felt normal for about 1/2 mile but it progressively got worse with less power and more Whoooooo.
It is at shop now and my wife and I feel sick with disappointment and are worried it may be serious...we've taken care of this car..though none
of it with our own hands,we have always taken to mechanics.
Please ..what do you think ?
Thank you

Old 07-15-2020, 09:23 AM
Super Moderator
Received 1,481 Likes on 1,209 Posts

The whooo noise is your engine cooling fan. The clutch engages when the engine warms up to move more air to cool it down. It's never a good idea to run a motor without coolant or when overheating as it can damage it.

That being said the loss of power was the engine management doing it's best to protect the engine from you. So hopefully there won't be major damage.

Old 07-16-2020, 10:44 AM
Rock Crawling
Default Just talked to Shoppe..

Just talked to shoppe..they drove it for 7 miles..they don't see anything..it drives normal ??
But the other day we had such loss of power we had it towed for the last mile of the trip to the mechanic?
Any ideas ?

Old 07-16-2020, 06:49 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 717 Likes on 603 Posts

Well you said it was leaking coolant. They found no leak?

Old 07-17-2020, 11:33 AM
Rock Crawling
Default Good question..

The owner drove it home yesterday and it drives normal ??
They scanned it..nothing..and he said they pressure tested it and no leak after I asked did you check coolant leak..
so my wife told him to give it an oil change and check the pan and look closer.I read some other posts where this loss of power situation..but they seem unresolved
Any idea?

Old 07-17-2020, 05:00 PM
Camel Trophy

Well if its not a protection think kicking in, my fist suspicion would be a failing alternator. When the alternator fails voltage drops and the car starts to kill systems, it literally has a list. One of the early things to go is the viscus fan. Its default no-power state seems to be in full lock, meaning matching engine RPM. That drag also reduces engine performance a bit. But it should not make it run too bad, but its a huge hindrance on it.

Old 07-18-2020, 09:16 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by DakotaTravler
Well if its not a protection think kicking in, my fist suspicion would be a failing alternator. When the alternator fails voltage drops and the car starts to kill systems, it literally has a list. One of the early things to go is the viscus fan. Its default no-power state seems to be in full lock, meaning matching engine RPM. That drag also reduces engine performance a bit. But it should not make it run too bad, but its a huge hindrance on it.
I got the Car back..this is one of those places where front desk is different from mechanics so the direct response is ellusive.
We got car they did "Pressure Test" and found no coolant leaks..we drive back home after a little detour and it was 17 miles of driving..we get out of car the whole front outside smells like coolant..within two minutes of parking my wife looks underneath and there is a 16" circle of coolant..but reservoir seems relatively full but though temp gauge on dash is spot on ..the engine feels hot. ?
What can be going on..they put in a new Radiator in December with all new hoses..a couple moths before a new thermostatic housing which was spraying coolant when pressure got up there..
What can it be..I'm worried coolant is not getting sufficiently to Engine.Maybe this should be another post. The Car was over there all week they are so busy I still dont think any time was put into it..nor driven home by anyone to give it a good go.

Last edited by Athana; 07-18-2020 at 09:18 PM.
Old 07-18-2020, 09:17 PM
Camel Trophy

Take it back or find another mechanic. If you are leaking coolant, you clearly have an issue.

Old 07-18-2020, 09:27 PM
Rock Crawling

That Whoooo seems to be the sound of First Gear trying to build up enough power to get to second gear..it is extended sometimes..when the engine warms up..must have something to do with leaking coolant Im worried Coolant not getting to engine for some reason..any ideas.Thank You

Old 07-18-2020, 10:00 PM
Camel Trophy

So no check engine light, no other messages on the info display. I dunno, sounds like a trans issue then.

Quick Reply: V8 4.4 Could Engine have been Damaged ?