LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Various random faults - system shutting down

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2015, 11:30 PM
Overlanding
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Various random faults - system shutting down

Hello Team
Maybe you can point me in the right direction here. I have a 2007 LR3 HSE with 120k miles. Lately it has been giving me all kinds of various faults in the control panel. At times, the "Vehicle Fault - System Shutting Down" will appear on the radio. And then the whole dash goes blank. It them restarts in a minute or so (maybe less). The engine keeps running while all this is going on. If the system is in a fault state before starting the engine, it will not start and seems to be locked out somehow. The batter is 11 months old and installed by a Rover mechanic. As well the battery check good right now by NAPA and Autozone. After reading some posts online, I have ordered a new brake switch XKB500110 but it hasn't arrived yet.

Here is what I discovered today and it is a little shocking. When I reset the trip odometer it sets off the problem. So, sometimes it is random, but it can also be caused by pushing this reset button.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Matt

Old 07-07-2015, 02:46 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 454 Likes on 405 Posts

Matt, what are the actual faults? I haven't seen "Vehicle Fault" before so I can't tell if you are summarizing or stating verbatim what the LR3 displayed. Please be as specific as possible. Were there any fault icons? What about car behavior; did Terrain Response still work? The Air suspension?

What you've described doesn't sound symptomatic of the Brake Switch, but it probably needs changing anyway. Can you get (any) codes read and then report back?

The following users liked this post:
mroorda (09-07-2015)
Old 07-09-2015, 04:58 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

I ran into similar but not the exact problem during one of my battery failures. Before you dig too deeply, confirm voltages running and after sitting (say overnight) and mention when this error is popping up.

Brake Light switch-- and non-OEM bulbs are always worth looking into, but never heard of anything on the nav display though.. or "Vehicle fault"..

Almost sounds like a bad connection somewhere otherwise.. probably be usuful for as much more background and details as possible.

It may be that it is or is not the battery, but I would be curious as to the voltages. While it may show "good" at a test place, it may have an issue on the 4wD computer..

Interesting..

mroorda (09-07-2015)
Old 07-13-2015, 03:06 AM
Overlanding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, check the battery, how old your battery it might be too old or too weak already

mroorda (09-07-2015)
Old 09-07-2015, 09:57 PM
Overlanding
Default Fixed the issue

Hi everyone. Just wanted to update for posterity. The dealer hooked up Rover to his super rover code reader machine and said all the codes pointed toward a bad instrument cluster. He promptly quoted me $1200 plus shipping and labor for a total of about $2k. Deciding against that, I purchased a used IC from ebay for $90. Hesitantly, the dealer synced the new (used) IC. He told me he didn't really think this would work but he would give it a shot. He said it took a couple tries but ended up being successful as everything seems fine now. I did all the demo and reinstall so I got off pretty cheap. And now my Rover works like a champ.

Well, not exactly a champ, I keep getting a suspension fault now but I can live with that. It really seems independent of the original problem. At least it starts reliably now and nothing has shut down while driving down the road anymore.

Thanks
Matt

Old 09-08-2015, 11:18 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

I've read about some repairs of the instrument cluster... ridiculous stuff like this should never go bad.

What are the codes you are getting on the suspension fault.

Old 09-18-2015, 03:08 PM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi MrOrda, How is the car running?
I have the same problem

Old 06-28-2016, 11:23 AM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mroorda
Hi everyone. Just wanted to update for posterity. The dealer hooked up Rover to his super rover code reader machine and said all the codes pointed toward a bad instrument cluster. He promptly quoted me $1200 plus shipping and labor for a total of about $2k. Deciding against that, I purchased a used IC from ebay for $90. Hesitantly, the dealer synced the new (used) IC. He told me he didn't really think this would work but he would give it a shot. He said it took a couple tries but ended up being successful as everything seems fine now. I did all the demo and reinstall so I got off pretty cheap. And now my Rover works like a champ.

Well, not exactly a champ, I keep getting a suspension fault now but I can live with that. It really seems independent of the original problem. At least it starts reliably now and nothing has shut down while driving down the road anymore.

Thanks
Matt
Hey Matt did you have to reprogram you Land Rover

Old 08-14-2016, 06:02 PM
Overlanding

The dealer reprogrammed the new (not new actually, just different, was purchased used from eBay) instrument cluster. He said it took multiple attempts but I suspect there aren't real procedures for this. A year later and have no issues. At least no related issues...

Old 08-14-2016, 06:34 PM
Overlanding

Just trying to clean up some loose ends here to let you know some further results. After swapping the instrument cluster and reprogramming, all the big issues when away (stopperd lowering on its own while driving down the highway with all the interior instruments shutting down and the hazard lights blinking).

But there was still some sort of suspension fault normal height only intermittent message. Sorry, don't remember the details. I lived with it for a while but then decided to dig in. The rover mechanic said I needed a new compressor. Instead I bought a rebuild kit from X8R. It included drier beads but not a new drier cap. I rebuilt and reinstalled and still had the same problem. Eventually I purchased a new drier cap from X8R and this fixed the problem. It works like a champ now for over 6 months.

Some supplemental info...the X8R products seem like good quality kits. Their instructions on the other hand are totally lacking. As well, I wish I would have bought the cap first and replaced it rather than doing the rebuild (not that the rebuild was overly difficult) but the cap orings were the real problem I think. 2. Lowering that compressor is a real bear at first. But after probably 10-12 times, I could do in in lest than 5 min.

EastCoast (08-14-2016)

Quick Reply: Various random faults - system shutting down