LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What can cause Transmission Fluid leak?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2022, 11:38 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 167 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by DakotaTravler
Maybe I am wrong, but I was pretty sure on our trucks the transmission does not self-vent as shown in the diagram. Instead with have a "breather" setup and that short tube shown does not even exist on the LR3.
Looks like Dakota is right…
Has anyone ever serviced this breather? Does it clog or restrict like the front diff breather?

Old 08-27-2022, 11:40 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 776 Likes on 650 Posts

No, it has no end-cap that can cause issues. I suppose in theory it could clog, but I dont see hoe unless several impacted by debris from the outside or failure of the trans. With that said, it could easily be kinked/bent in some way during major service work. But replacing the transfer case should not do it since the work is not close to the breather.

Old 08-27-2022, 12:01 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by trynian
when mine was leaking it turned out to be the toque convertor seal. It Leaked when driving and they did have to remove the trany to fix it. It was about a $1500 job for a $20 seal.
So that would leave numbers 12, 13, and 15 as the potential sources for leaks on the front of this transmission.

Old 08-30-2022, 10:43 AM
Drifting
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Good call on that - I did tape those little f*ckers of wiring harness design genius off when I was doing my second battery install.

Well, I haven't gotten to feel around up in there to determine which breather I have - my front driveshaft is being really defiant and not separating from my transfer case, not allowing me to reach my hand up in there. I had it soaking in PB blaster wrapped in a towel all weekend while I was away, but the T - case and front drive shaft are really fused together. Going to try a little heat after some lunch and will report back about the breather

Old 08-30-2022, 12:46 PM
Drifting

Well I can confirm that the transmission is vented up to the back of the engine bay lreferenced above by dakota. Thanks everyone for the help so now…. Wtf

I’ve got the transfer case out but I really don’t wanna work on the transmission

Last edited by martymart; 08-30-2022 at 02:57 PM.
Old 08-30-2022, 06:13 PM
Camel Trophy

You may want to post a thread on any transfer case removal tips/tools. Its not well documented. Also I have to do it

As for pulling the trans... I dunno, based on all the info you may have to do so. Really does seem like the front seal/pump seal is leaking. I dont see where else it could be coming from.

Old 08-30-2022, 07:16 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by DakotaTravler
You may want to post a thread on any transfer case removal tips/tools. Its not well documented. Also I have to do it

As for pulling the trans... I dunno, based on all the info you may have to do so. Really does seem like the front seal/pump seal is leaking. I dont see where else it could be coming from.
Once I’ve gotten through the removal I’ll do a write up - maybe I’ll put the camera on while I’m putting it back on and do a little video . I did it once before for the old Benz.

i will also steer you in the right direction because I found a bunch of good bits and pieces here and there on it.

Back to the tranny- I really hope it’s not the seals- it seems odd that the info from p-bod seems exactly right regarding the leak, but the breather doesn’t match. I wonder if somehow the fluid could have gotten aspirated and plugged the leak.

It is continually leaking - at rest for over a week and still getting wet and slowly slowly dripping.

Old 08-30-2022, 08:17 PM
Camel Trophy

I have a w126 - 560SEL. Loved that car!

And to re-cap, we are 100% certain the fluid level is correct? Because if it still leaking, well I find that a little odd.... At rest, the fluid level is WELL below pump level. I mean look at the fill plug location, its just an inch or so above the top of the pan. I could only think the leak is maybe thus being supplied by the cooling lines back into the trans through the pump or such? I dunno... just seems odd that its still leaking when no pressure has been built up in the system. But I am no trans expert, just theorizing.

Old 08-31-2022, 09:51 AM
Rock Crawling

I'm far from expert too. Driven mostly by curiosity and stubbornness with a high satisfaction in performing a root cause fix that keeps good equipment running. I'm with Dakota on the the pump seal being the most likely culprit (#15 in the above diagram). If the fluid level is high or aerated, and the vent is clogged, this #15 seal could just be the path of least resistance and not the actual cause for the leak. Can you run a borescope through the plastic cover hole to put eyes on it? With the transfer case already out, there may not be a better time to do this.

Martymart, looks like you're "it" on figuring this out for the rest of us!

Old 09-01-2022, 06:50 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by P-Bod
Can you run a borescope through the plastic cover hole to put eyes on it?!
that’s a great idea. I was concerned with prying out that plastic cover because it seems a little brittle, but I’ll get a scope in there and see what I can see.

Quick Reply: What can cause Transmission Fluid leak?