LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What are considered normal LR3 noises / rattles

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2018, 11:06 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What are considered normal LR3 noises / rattles

Hi LR3 Community! I am searching for a solid LR3 and found the sticky on PPI / "what to look for" very helpful! Thank you to All that contributed. I am curious to know if there are "things, noises, etc" that are usual and to be expected in the LR3?

I'm asking as I browse the ads out there and if an owner says "it makes this noise but my mechanic says its normal" - I'd love to call BS or know if it is indeed normal and worth my time going to see it - nothing noteworthy seems close to me.

For example, is engine ticking/tapping for 5-10s on cold start normal? Wind noise from A-pilar or roof rails? Any regular rattles or other mechanical items one should expect?

Thanks! I'm looking forward to getting back and more active in the LR community.

Tony

Old 02-20-2018, 09:10 AM
Super Moderator
Received 1,464 Likes on 1,195 Posts

Rattling or ticking at start up is generally not normal in a LR3 unless it's a diesel. Wind noise at the A pillar is normal along with water ingress there is a TSB on that. Rattles from underneath while idling are usually loose heat shields on the exhaust, or a broken exhaust pipe hanger. Compressor shouldn't run for ages on start up.

Old 02-20-2018, 11:51 AM
Mudding
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Somewhat hijacking here but it pertains to the topic... What is the normal run time for the EAS compressor. I would say mines currently running a minute or two each time on startup.

Old 02-20-2018, 01:13 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

I've had an issue from day 1 of the third row seats making some noise when folded flat. A few folded towels placed underneath fixed that, putting pressure on the hold down clamps. Both of the outboard vents (in the way they attach on the dash make some noise, but stop when a gentle hand pushes on them. I'm generally a fanatic about squeaks and rattles, but I'm now at 146K (and the original owner), so I do expect some stuff to come up, but even friends are shocked at how solid everything is given that I'm not exactly nice when driving it.

Memphis rover, I'd have to time mine, but I'm guessing maybe 30 seconds on startup?

Old 02-20-2018, 07:58 PM
Super Moderator

30 seconds sounds about right.

Old 02-20-2018, 11:05 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 454 Likes on 405 Posts

Originally Posted by ArmyRover
Hahahaha...you have a coil conversion!

It can take up to two minutes if you changed suspension heights (like if you parked in Access). Otherwise yeah 30 seconds sounds about right.

Old 02-21-2018, 12:59 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by houm_wa

It can take up to two minutes if you changed suspension heights (like if you parked in Access). Otherwise yeah 30 seconds sounds about right.
I only engage access height for my in-laws (got to keep them happy), but for my kids, I raise it to off road for entry.

Old 02-21-2018, 08:43 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by houm_wa

How quickly you forget I have 2 LR3s one coil, one air.

Old 02-21-2018, 09:27 AM
Mudding
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ArmyRover
Hmm... Well new bags should be going in this weekend I figured mine were a bit leaky. No faults but they're the ones it came with and have 120 on them. I think my compressor has hit some kind of record as mine an 06 and is still going.

Old 02-21-2018, 09:52 AM
Super Moderator

I pulled original according to the date code lower front control arms off mine at 135k. Sometimes you get lucky

Quick Reply: What are considered normal LR3 noises / rattles