LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to your LR3 today?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2015, 10:14 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bbyer
The link below contains a number of files related to the HVAC system.

There are files specifically related to the two drains off the heater box that either deposits water from the AC or the rain water from the cowl onto the ground below your 3 or if one is disconnected, under the carpet on either the left or right side or both, of the transmission tunnel.

In other words, if the carpet is soaked under the gas pedal, that is the left side HVAC drain disconnected. This is not uncommon and the fix is relatively easy, just push the drain hose back on to the heater box nipple.

The front drains are all I ever hear about being plugged. I am not certain that there are any rear sunroof drains.

All those fuses blown are most likely for a reason. I am not certain that I would just be putting new ones in without further investigation.

DISCO3.CO.UK Photo Gallery - Heater Air Conditioner System

Thanks, I saw the gray connection on the divers side while chasing wires. I didn't think much of it since I didn't know what is was except that it was attached. I will look at the pass. side to make sure its connected. I know when I had a similar issue in my Saab I took out the front seat and has to dry it would with towels and pulling out/up the carpets the best I could.
I was looking at the pass. carpet and it seems fairly rigid and not easily removed. What does everyone do in these cases? I want this resolved before I put the motor in....Oh, and check out my cowl. Need a new one but the one on my RR was cracked and I looked into replacing that one and it was a project to remove.

Attached Thumbnails What did you do to your LR3 today?-img_0424.jpg   What did you do to your LR3 today?-img_0426.jpg  
Old 05-11-2015, 11:11 AM
Three Wheeling
Default What are these...?

Female plug under middle console

Random red wire same location....

Attached Thumbnails What did you do to your LR3 today?-img_0403.jpg   What did you do to your LR3 today?-img_0406.jpg   What did you do to your LR3 today?-img_0421.jpg  
Old 05-11-2015, 05:32 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 144 Likes on 127 Posts
Default cowling is relatively easy to replace

I would not worry about the middle console plug. It could be for the optional cooler box or something to do with a cell phone adapter; I just do not think it is of significance.

The loose wire, if it looks factory that could be of significance. About all you can do is put a voltmeter on it and see if it appears alive. I doubt it is a computer system conductor so it should be either 12 VDC or nothing.

Regarding the passenger side HVAC drain, it disconnects up above the carpet - just at the underside of the heater box, same as the left side. Hence all you have to do is remove those vertical carpeted side panels above the tranny tunnel.

The cowling is not that difficult to replace - basically removing the windscreen wiper arms and then pulling upwards.

Below is a link to the cowl removal / replacement.

DISCO3.CO.UK - View topic - Upcoming project

Below relates to the A pillars.

http://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/albu...water_leak.pdf

Attached Thumbnails What did you do to your LR3 today?-cowl-removed-heater-air-inlet-displayed-p1020155-s.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
4thefamily (05-12-2015)
Old 05-12-2015, 09:16 AM
Three Wheeling
Default Drying it out????

I would not worry about the middle console plug. It could be for the optional cooler box or something to do with a cell phone adapter; I just do not think it is of significance.

The loose wire, if it looks factory that could be of significance. About all you can do is put a voltmeter on it and see if it appears alive. I doubt it is a computer system conductor so it should be either 12 VDC or nothing.

Regarding the passenger side HVAC drain, it disconnects up above the carpet - just at the underside of the heater box, same as the left side. Hence all you have to do is remove those vertical carpeted side panels above the tranny tunnel.

The cowling is not that difficult to replace - basically removing the windscreen wiper arms and then pulling upwards.

Below is a link to the cowl removal / replacement.

DISCO3.CO.UK - View topic - Upcoming project

Below relates to the A pillars.

http://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/albu...water_leak.pdf

Thanks for the TB on the pillars. I will ad that to my files.
Any good ideas for drying out the interior? I feel like the heat from the sun and being in the garage for a month should be enough but maybe hanging some drying stuff up should help. I would rather not get involved in removing the seats and pulling up the carpet but I will if it comes to that. Nothing worse than water in the low points of the rig infecting the wires and creating rust.

Old 05-12-2015, 09:34 AM
Pro Wrench
Default bedroom fan

For drying the carpet, all you need is air movement.

I would suggest something like a bedroom fan sitting perhaps on the seat and blowing air down onto the carpet.

It might take a week or so, but it will in time dry out the carpet.

The air does not have to be hot or anything - just normal air and time will dry it out.

Old 05-12-2015, 09:38 AM
Three Wheeling
Default I'll set that up

For drying the carpet, all you need is air movement.

I would suggest something like a bedroom fan sitting perhaps on the seat and blowing air down onto the carpet.

It might take a week or so, but it will in time dry out the carpet.

The air does not have to be hot or anything - just normal air and time will dry it out.

Great advice. I'll do that and have that process going in the back ground while doing the motor swap.

Old 05-12-2015, 07:06 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

What did I do today?

Got new transfer case fluid and new fill and drain plugs.

Yes the women noticed immediately, they can just sense when a man gets new transfer case fluid.

Old 05-12-2015, 07:49 PM
Mudding
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Regarding drying the carpet, I went so far as removing the first and second row seats and pulling up all the carpet. I used paper towels to soak up as much water as I could, and I then stuck an electric heater/fan in the vehicle for a couple of days with the carpet peeled up, before reassembling everything.

There are rear sunroof drains that run down the C pillars. If I recall, you will need to peel away the wheelwell plastic, just like you had to do on the driver's side front to access the drain there.

Old 05-12-2015, 09:22 PM
Pro Wrench
Default Yes, you are correct re the two rear sunroof drains.

I did not think there were any rear sunroof drains as one never reads about them plugging up. I guess maybe they can and do plug but no one realizes it.

Yes, the drawings I have show the two drains ending up probably in the rear wheel wells on each side, in other words, as you said, down the C pillars just behind both rear side doors.

Old 05-13-2015, 07:58 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by 4thefamily
Female plug under middle console

Random red wire same location....
I have a full size image of mine with all the wires if you want to compare it. That wire seems almost added. Drop me a mail if you want it, you have it.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your LR3 today?