LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to your LR3 today?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2023, 03:48 PM
7th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission shift

Originally Posted by bbyer
You do have a lot of miles on your 3 and by the sound of it, have not had too many real problems. I can only presume you have done lots of preventative maintenance as I believe that is the only way to avoid real problems - to spend money before trouble arises.

First the good news - even a Land Rover does not totally fall apart all at the same time - not everything breaks down simultaneously, even if the warning lights suggest that. My thinking is that while finding the fault or faults will be near impossible, fixing them will be relatively cheap - and it is not the tranny - that would be too easy.

I find that the more lights that illuminate at the same time, the better, as that then suggests a wiring concern rather than any specific mechanical problem. The bad news is that mechanical problems are easier to find and fix than wiring related.

The odds are that one conductor in one of the many the twisted pair Canbus circuits has broken or is breaking and that the problem has been detected by one of the many computer systems and then cascaded to all of them, hence the appearance of all the trouble lights.

A transmission fault along with a cruse control inoperative light is often a bad brake light or signal light filament as picked up by the systems monitoring - note the term bad, not broken or burned out, but bad as in defective. Yes, bulbs that appear to function can cause the computers to detect faults. This is why you want to only use LR spec bulbs, not off shore bulbs as their specs, if they have any, vary too widely.

Suspension fault lights are more often a result of the LR lawyers having told the LR software design people that in the USA, that LR cannot afford the lawyers needed to protect them from the other lawyers; hence at the first sign of any problem, put the 3 into safe mode. This is defined as suck the air out of the air springs - the resulting ride will definitely take the vehicle off the road. The owner may just park it, fix it, or best of all, buy a new one - yes, that is more common than one might think, and only bankers will then be involved - the lesser of the evils.

With that lead up over with, I suspect you have a broken or breaking Canbus wire perhaps related to one of the wheel speed sensors and it shows as a brake pad wear light - plus a lot of other stuff. The only light that has me a bit puzzled is the low coolant level. I say that as most of the low coolant sensor level sensors are defective or go defective well within the warranty period. Land Rovers fix for that was to have the software people write out the coolant level circuitry and hence one should never see that light on, at least never when the coolant level is low. The pre software fix problem was that the light went on when the level was good. I suspect that when the computers get upset, they do not follow the software instructions.

This is a good thread with lots of pictures as to where you might look. It is probably your best place to start if I am correct.

Also check both front wheel wells as with sharp low speed turns as when parking, the front or rear of the tyre rubber tread can cut thru the air suspension wiring if the cable becomes loose from being tied tight to the frame.

DISCO3.CO.UK - View topic - Suspension fault, front cross-link valve (SOLVED)
my daughter was driving down the hwy dash lit up like a Christmas tree truck went limp tried to jump hence call tow truck guy learned about nuetral safety override get how started up the next day huh? Ok drive for weekend no problems then died again so with a little reseach alternator gone replaced but still have issues after 10 mins of driving couple lights come on n on message board trans fault see manual of course call dealer my 3 has 265k on it and the trans is not in over drive mode so still trying to figure out my issue also my air ride goes up but seems not all the way so many ppl have so many answers im thinking its still in semi limp mode any clues would help 07 lr3

Last edited by Lysiamm11; 12-14-2023 at 05:05 AM. Reason: Please any advice helps
Old 10-13-2023, 06:26 PM
Drifting

Bought a new one...2005 Bonatti Grey HSE

Old 10-13-2023, 07:15 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 744 Likes on 624 Posts

Love that color.

The following users liked this post:
CatskilCruiser (10-14-2023)
Old 10-14-2023, 04:31 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by SENC
An early Christmas gift for myself, both to protect my aging leather seats and to get away from the black.

Who makes/sells these?

Old 10-14-2023, 05:23 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by CatskilCruiser
Who makes/sells these?
Melvill and Moon. It’s a South African outfitter, they are made to order, very nice stuff.

CatskilCruiser (10-14-2023)
Old 10-14-2023, 05:35 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by SeattleDriver
Melvill and Moon. It’s a South African outfitter, they are made to order, very nice stuff.
Thx, cost for the set and how long did it take? Website I can order from?

Old 10-15-2023, 04:40 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 221 Likes on 195 Posts

Spent the weekend camping and doing a few tracks, photo's or videos rarely does it justice how steep it can be.

I put together a short video of one of the tracks we went down .

Last edited by loanrangie; 10-15-2023 at 10:56 PM.
kndrewa (11-04-2023)
Old 10-15-2023, 12:57 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Went to change the water pump because coolant was coming from around water pump pulley. Turns out previous owners didn’t install clamp on heater hose. I changed the water pump anyways.

Old 10-17-2023, 04:43 PM
Drifting
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by DakotaTravler
Today I took my front valve block apart... once again. I never did flush my air lines when I put in my new Arnott AMK style compressor. And a month after doing so I had issues up front and had to rebuild the valve block. Has some white powder that we all know about. Well today I took it apart assuming it was fouled yet again but shockingly it was 100% clean. Not a hint of any white residue. That at least made me feel good knowing the system was clean now of desiccant debris. But then I realized I had to have a leaking strut, and I do. So at 206,000 miles it is time to swap em out. Fortunately at $460 shipped form the UK for OEM they dont break the bank. Hopefully they came this week and I can swap em before the weekend. Did my front end rebuild not too long ago, so all the bolts should be easy to remove. I am looking forward to what should be an improved ride quality.
I'm curious about the ride quality difference. I have a lot of paperwork from the original owner and I don't see strut replacement on there, so I think mine are original at 200k miles. I wonder what I'm missing out on...

Old 10-18-2023, 12:14 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 744 Likes on 624 Posts

I can only half say.... Yesterday I did the leaking one and did a drive. I was shocked by the ride improvement. I mean I expected things to be better, but I had only done one and could notice a huge difference. Even roundabouts handled better. Today I did the other side but found the source of a light clunk I had, a bad upper ball joint! And its OEM and not that old! And I put a spare from Mevotech in, but its too small. About 0.05mm smaller so it slipped right into the arm with no press fit needed. That is not good.... Only the cir-clip is hold it. So I have to tread light until I get that fixed. Then I can get a better idea of handling with the new struts. I want to do the rears too. People dont realize that with a front engine mount vehicle the rears can have a HUGE part of ride quality. The enigne helps smooth out the front. But bad rear socks with no weight to counter them can really make for a bad ride.

The following 2 users liked this post by DakotaTravler:
loanrangie (10-18-2023), MaineLR3 (10-18-2023)

Quick Reply: What did you do to your LR3 today?