LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to your LR3 today?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2016, 08:56 PM
Super Moderator
Received 226 Likes on 196 Posts

This is why I made sure to get a lifetime one from a chain store auto zone is every where I go right now

Old 06-21-2016, 09:58 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 144 Likes on 127 Posts
Default newer design is the sort of all black rear, no shiny fins

The pdf and notes related to the link below make reference to the original and newer alternators for the 3. As you noted, one difference has to do with the regulator and the not so visible fins now.

One must presume that the new non visible fins are the better regulator, however, .....

From my reading, it is something to do with Denso changing from what is commonly called an A design regulator to a B design per below.

In the old days before PWM regulators the "A" system controls the output by regulating the field circuit to ground. The "B" circuit controls the output by regulating the battery to field and that is still somewhat true with regards to our 3 except that the regulator interacts with the car computer rather than the battery. In the old days, GM/Delco used to use an A type design, and Ford and Chrysler, most often the B type.

The newer sort of all black rear alternator pictured below is LR part # YLE500390; the original unit has the shiny fin regulator on the rear and is part # YLE500190.

DISCO3.CO.UK Photo Gallery - LR3 miscellaneous/Transpo Regulator IN6349 Pin Assignment

Attached Thumbnails What did you do to your LR3 today?-alternator-cap-removed-showing-regulator-img00097-20120204-1717.jpg   What did you do to your LR3 today?-alternator-plug-b-terminal-view-img00093-20120129-1553.jpg   What did you do to your LR3 today?-lr3-alternator-front-pully-view.jpg   What did you do to your LR3 today?-lr3_alternator_yle500390-denso-104210-3690-rear-view.jpg   What did you do to your LR3 today?-lr3_alternator_yle500390-denso-104210-3690-pully-view.jpg  

The following users liked this post:
cmb6s (06-22-2016)
Old 06-22-2016, 06:58 AM
Super Moderator
Received 226 Likes on 196 Posts

Did not notice that stuff, but I did notice a different batt cable lug

The batt cable has 2 ears the alt I just removed the lug was for 1 ear so I had bent out the second ear, the new alt has OEM type lug with slot for both ears so I bent it back, ears seem to only be for cable alignment

Old 07-11-2016, 04:02 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 460 Likes on 411 Posts
Default Detailed it...

If you haven't discovered Zaino, you should...

Attached Thumbnails What did you do to your LR3 today?-7_10_detail.jpg  
Old 07-12-2016, 08:10 AM
Winching
Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

Got the new to me driveshaft installed and the diff fluid changed front and back... a bit of a surprise to me but I discovered that my truck has open diffs front and back. Good for fluid changes and the fact I bought it for on road use but if I had bought it wanting to do some off roading, I would be a bit bummed... at least I got the locking central diff, right?

Old 07-12-2016, 11:48 AM
Camel Trophy

You wouldn't be bummed. The LR3 does just fine, amazingly well actually, with only the center diff lock. It was available with an optional rear locker as well, but those versions are few and far between.

Old 07-12-2016, 08:27 PM
Winching
Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

Good to know... I thought I was the odd truck out.

Old 07-13-2016, 12:01 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 144 Likes on 127 Posts
Default The anti lock is part of the traction system.

As above, none of the 3's have "lockers" in the conventional sense. It is that reality that probably makes them special when it comes to overall getting where you want to go or staying on the road, as opposed to going off the road - not to be confused with offroading.

A few of the 3's imported mainly into the Colorado area had as standard, what LR called an Electronic Locking differential. For all intents and purposes it was designed to never lock and always slip, but in a computer controlled manner.

I would have to say the Electronic Dff was never really popular due in part to cost, but I think primarily because the traction system that LR developed using the antilock brakes as one of the traction control devices probably proved more effective, or at least more efficient than an sort of "locker".

An interesting unintended benefit of the LR traction system is that overall, Land Rover products have a lower incidence of, (how shall we put it), unplanned off road excursions/accidents than any other SUV or truck.

That is a polite way of saying that the traction/anti-skid system makes a poor driver in slippery conditions appear to be a good driver in that the 3 tends to stay or the road rather end up in the ditch, or off road as some might say.

This is not quite the same as saying the system works well in deep mud; for that horsepower and wheel spinning seem to be the technique that works - not quite what anti-skid and traction control is all about. The system, as operated by the round ****, does however work well in sand or the rocky desert etc, probably better than any other vehicle out there. My view is that Land Rovers are designed for dry and soft desert terrain rather than mud and water.

In other words, you have something special and not very common; it is not a Jeep or any of its many copycats, the 3 is unique.

Old 07-13-2016, 06:15 AM
Mudding
Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

Agreed with everything said...plus I add that you can add ARB front and rear lockers is you so desire. I have the rear ARB locker and find that it has allowed me to keep up with my Jeep and Land cruiser buddies with less drama.

Old 07-15-2016, 12:11 AM
Camel Trophy

You can turn off the DSC...I think the thing that hinders the LR3 in the mud is its massive curb weight!

Quick Reply: What did you do to your LR3 today?