LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wheel Spacers

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2016, 07:31 AM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Wheel Spacers

What size spacers are ideal for 285/60/18? What I don't want is for the tire to hit the wheel opening molding during full tuck (articulation).
Im thinking 1" is probably the way to go, opinions? Pics?

Old 11-30-2016, 02:46 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 468 Likes on 419 Posts

Spacers are generally frowned upon, on the LR3. You shouldn't really need them for that size, really. I'd suggest getting an IIDTool so that you can raise the EAS an extra inch or so when on the trail; that should help when articulating. The bigger issue with the 285s is the width, so make sure to move the wiring harness up on top of the frame rail.

The IIDTool will pay for itself over and over again, believe me.

Old 12-01-2016, 07:32 AM
Winching

I have the IID Tool on the way and the reason for the spacers is to push the wheels out some.

Old 12-01-2016, 08:37 AM
Winching
Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

Not sure about LR specific rims but you can get the wheels out a bit by getting rims with a different backspacing... not sure what the oem backspacing is though, maybe someone on here can fill in the blank.

Old 12-01-2016, 11:39 AM
Camel Trophy

I understand the reason for the spacers...I'm saying it's a bad idea. You don't really need it.

Old 12-01-2016, 12:12 PM
Winching
Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by houm_wa
I understand the reason for the spacers...I'm saying it's a bad idea. You don't really need it.

When did fear or common sense stop anyone...lol

Old 12-01-2016, 09:40 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by EastCoast
Not sure about LR specific rims but you can get the wheels out a bit by getting rims with a different backspacing... not sure what the oem backspacing is though, maybe someone on here can fill in the blank.
yes I am aware that there are wheels with a lower offset, I am inquiring about spacers...so I wouldn't have to replace the wheels, and I kind of like the wheels.

who said I need it? I want it.
Why is it a bad idea? Now here's the thing, it's like putting a big red button that says "don't touch" in front of me, I'm going to press it.

Originally Posted by EastCoast
When did fear or common sense stop anyone...lol
YYAAASSS! This guy has the right idea!

Old 12-01-2016, 09:56 PM
Camel Trophy

Here is my point: If you are truly trying to solve the problem of rubbing at full articulation, you can do that with your IIDTool when you are on the trail. Just establish a taller EAS setting (1" is enough but it's up to you) and use it when you hit the trail head. Around town you're fine at stock height.

Maybe you can find quality spacers that are just the right size as to not impact the suspension, but after 11.5 years of ownership and almost all of those years on this board and others, I have seen and read enough to know that our LR3's suspension does not like spacers.

Still not convinced? Want to have that posseresque wider stance? Go ahead...but do so at your own risk. I'm sure you won't come back here cryin' about it so that we (I?) can tell you "I told you so."

You've been given good advice. Please take it.

The following users liked this post:
AdrenalinPlease (12-02-2016)
Old 12-02-2016, 10:06 AM
Winching

Here is my point: If you are truly trying to solve the problem of rubbing at full articulation, you can do that with your IIDTool when you are on the trail. Just establish a taller EAS setting (1" is enough but it's up to you) and use it when you hit the trail head. Around town you're fine at stock height.

Maybe you can find quality spacers that are just the right size as to not impact the suspension, but after 11.5 years of ownership and almost all of those years on this board and others, I have seen and read enough to know that our LR3's suspension does not like spacers.

Still not convinced? Want to have that posseresque wider stance? Go ahead...but do so at your own risk. I'm sure you won't come back here cryin' about it so that we (I?) can tell you "I told you so."

You've been given good advice. Please take it.

I think we have a misunderstanding. I am not worried about articulation in the current form, I am worried about articulation AFTER I install the spacers.

I do most certainly appreciate the good advice, I do, but if I go with a 1.25" spacer is it really a bad idea? given that I could just buy and install wheels with a higher offset and accomplish the same thing...I mean, why are wider and more aggressive wheels not frowned upon? Not being a d*ck, just chatting.

Old 12-02-2016, 10:28 AM
Camel Trophy

Maybe I misunderstood your intent. I though you simply wanted to be able to run 285 series tires without rubbing at full articulation. So let's level-set: you want the tires to stick out a little more, but are worried that instead of stuffing up inside the wheel well, they'll rub on the fender flares....is that about right?

PS - not taking your chatting as you being a dick at all, hopefully I'm not coming off flippant either. Just want to make sure you take the best course of action.

Quick Reply: Wheel Spacers