LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wheel/tire fitment

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2015, 08:20 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Wheel/tire fitment

Looking for my summer set of wheels. I'm figuring on leaving the snows on the stock wheels and picking up another set of wheels for the summer. The summer set will be really on road only.
Thinking a set of take offs are the way to go. Would like to go 20" as the tire options in the stock size are limited (255/55/19). 20 looks the the most abundant sizes I'm seeing and mostly RR wheels. Not looking for aftermarket, and wanting to get a tire/wheel combo.
Question is fitment. Most I see are 255/55/20, where the plus 1 size for me should be 255/50/20. I'm thinking there is plenty of clearance, but wanted to ask if anyone had experience or had thoughts.
Here are the specs from one of the sets I'm looking at:
Size: 20x8.5
Offset: 47
Bolt pattern: 5x120
Hubsize: 72.56

Thanks in advance

Old 03-09-2015, 11:25 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 144 Likes on 127 Posts
Default rim load rating 940 kg and XL tyres

You might want to read the thread below which is a few threads below yours right now.

It seems that there is more to purchasing the right rim than just getting the bolt circle correct and being sourced from from just any Land Rover or Range Rover.

https://landroverforums.com/forum/lr...ill-fit-72118/

Old 03-11-2015, 09:21 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by bbyer
You might want to read the thread below which is a few threads below yours right now.

It seems that there is more to purchasing the right rim than just getting the bolt circle correct and being sourced from from just any Land Rover or Range Rover.

https://landroverforums.com/forum/lr...ill-fit-72118/
Yes, I had read through that. No concerns with the right rim, the ones I am looking at would be coming from a full size RR. And not to put down responses in that thread, but rim structure and weight is not an issue. XL ratings on tires are...and if you are going to run 22" wheels with rubber bands as tires it is an issues, but with a side profile of 50-55 there will never, EVER be an issue with rim structure. With that said, I would never buy Chinese knock off wheels, but putting a Rover wheel on another Rover would be no problems, all day long in an environment.
My question comes in more of a tire size question... would 255/55/20 make anything wacky or have fitment issues over the 255/50/20 it should be? I am assuming not but wanted to ask as this truck has many more sensors than my Discoveries had. Last Disco had only rear air suspension, no stability control and the diff lock and such were manual.

Old 03-11-2015, 10:08 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 144 Likes on 127 Posts
Default CCF can be edited for tyre size

The diameter increase would be about an inch and the speedo effect about 3%.

This would mean clearances within the wheel well would decrease by about a half inch. I would make certain the sections of the wheel sensor harness in the front wheel wells are strapped tight to the frame as the rear of the rubber can cut thru the harness after repeated tight turns as in a shopping centre parking lot.

The FFRR, Full Fat Range Rover, (the big most expensive one), is lighter than the LR3/4, particularly the newer ones and that is reflected in wheel load rating as well as tyre load rating.

Within the CCF, (car configuration file), I seem to recall there is a parameter that can be adjusted to tell the vehicle what size tyres are on it. This way, the stability sensors see the same reality as the vehicle does. As to if one has to edit the file, I would say that most guys who change tyre sizes do not concern themselves with the stability functions.

There is even a question as to if offset matters with regards to road ability. It seems only the guys in the suspension design group seem to care.

Below is a link to a tyre size info calculator.

255/50-R20 vs 255/55-R20 Tire Comparison - Tire Size Calculator

Old 03-13-2015, 02:56 PM
Recovery Vehicle

That is what I figured... the 1/2 inch change is more or less new tires vs worn or off road tires vs street. The chances of finding a pair without rubber is less, and finding a take off set with new tires is almost like getting the wheels for free if you do it right. Plus saves $200 per year instead of mounting/dismounting the snows each season.