LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

When is next GPS disk due out?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 04:00 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Default When is next GPS disk due out?

Not sure how often they come out but is a new GPS disc due out anytime soon?

Old 07-22-2014, 11:23 AM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There have been some rumblings of discontent over on the disco3.co.uk site that LR have not placed an "order" for any later mapping disk than the 2013 (?) with the mapping supplier (Navteq?) - not sure if that's because they consider it EoL as the LR4/D4 has an HD based system or just because they don't think demand is warranted. There was talk that if LR were not interested that maybe some kind of crowd funded approach could be made to the mapping company if LR was happy that copyright issues were not being violated.

As the software itself really doesn't change and it's just updated map data, I really hope there is some progress on this....

Old 07-22-2014, 11:49 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 139 Likes on 110 Posts

Believe 2011-2012 was the last release for the LR3.

NAVTEQ | Maps for your Land Rover Navigation System

Old 07-22-2014, 12:54 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

You can in fact order them direct from NavTeq. I have in fact done so twice, my issue is that each one has had the same errors in turn by turn and misspellings / typos as the previous one, and any attempt to correct it falls on deaf ears.

If you want the newer one, you can order direct as cmb6s provided.

Old 07-22-2014, 06:25 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 144 Likes on 127 Posts
Default New label, old disc?

Do you think the disc is truly updated then, or just the 2012 disc with a nice new label?

I don't suppose NavTeq is giving the "new" disc away either.

Actually what you are saying is that there is hope as it appears that Land Rover does not wish to be involved any longer. I guess that is no problem as long as updated discs remain available. Your news is good news and is the first I had heard that updated material was somehow available.

And yes, to me, it should be no problem for NavTeq to produce an update. They have the so called primary MMM1 software unique to our 3's, so the only new material is the road data which should be common to all discs, regardless of vehicle.

Old 07-22-2014, 07:11 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by cmb6s
Believe 2011-2012 was the last release for the LR3.

NAVTEQ | Maps for your Land Rover Navigation System
So the latest is 3 years old? No 2014-2015 versions coming out?

For what they charge that is lame. Roads change streets change and burning a CD is ez. Its just data.

Another fellow mentioned errors in the CDs, does this make them un usable?

Old 07-22-2014, 07:25 PM
Recovery Vehicle

I'm sure there are errors as it is a pretty large country and getting everything absolutely correct would be a monumental task. That being said, they should have a process for submitting error findings like Google Maps does. I would doubt that they ever go back and look at "old" data though. Probably just update based on changes in the road system. If nothing changed, they assume it was correct from the old version.

Personally, I have not found navigation errors, but I don't use it all that much. I have updated to the 2011-2012 version though and I can tell you that there are many changes beyond just the map data. I think the interface is nicer, and especially the layout with regard to the navigation screen itself. It is still nowhere near as nice as my Audi navigation from the same time period, but it is much better than the 2005 LR navigation software. Oh, and if you ever want to enable Nav on the Move (at least with the IID tool), then you MAY need to update. The Nav on the Move can only be enabled for MMM firmware 1040 or higher (I believe this equate to the 2007 Nav update or higher).

Old 07-22-2014, 07:34 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by cmb6s
I'm sure there are errors as it is a pretty large country and getting everything absolutely correct would be a monumental task. That being said, they should have a process for submitting error findings like Google Maps does. I would doubt that they ever go back and look at "old" data though. Probably just update based on changes in the road system. If nothing changed, they assume it was correct from the old version.

Personally, I have not found navigation errors, but I don't use it all that much. I have updated to the 2011-2012 version though and I can tell you that there are many changes beyond just the map data. I think the interface is nicer, and especially the layout with regard to the navigation screen itself. It is still nowhere near as nice as my Audi navigation from the same time period, but it is much better than the 2005 LR navigation software. Oh, and if you ever want to enable Nav on the Move (at least with the IID tool), then you MAY need to update. The Nav on the Move can only be enabled for MMM firmware 1040 or higher (I believe this equate to the 2007 Nav update or higher).
I'm not sure what all that means "Nav on the Move" I don't use mine that much but its nice to have if I don't have my iphone. And I did not know the interface was changed.

Mine is a 2007 LR3 HSE. Not sure what version I have but its stock. And its really not reliable as the data is too old.

Old 07-22-2014, 08:22 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

I suppose, they probably just need to push a button that says, make more of these. They may not realize how many are on the road. Contacting them and quoting some stats might help.... just add stats...

I'll scrounge around and see if I have any newer original discs I bought from them.

Old 07-22-2014, 08:22 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Sorry... Nav on the Move = being able to enter a destination while moving. By default, the box to enter anything (other than saved locations I believe) is grayed out the second you start to move. With earlier versions of the navigation software, there is a "hack" that allows you to hold down a certain part of the screen for 5 seconds, then enter a special code, then do a little dance and you are magically able to enter destinations. However, LR did away with this in subsequent firmware releases. However, I THINK you can enable Nav on the Move with the Faultmate, and I know you will be able to very shortly with the IID tool.

Quick Reply: When is next GPS disk due out?