LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where do I find the Nav DVD on a 2008 Range Rover Sport Supercharge?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2015, 06:51 PM
Overlanding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile

Originally Posted by bbyer
Are you certain that you have the seat mechanism raised to full height?

The seat also tips backward as well.

It looks to me that the seat is about a low as it could be and that metal piece blocking the DVD slot is part of the seat construction and should move/lift out of the way.

Also maybe you now have to run the seat full forward.

There is a way to determine what CD is in there via what I call the "secret buttons" on the face of the NAV but all that will give you is the CD version and you will still have to at some time physically remove the CD.

I think you have made a lot of progress in the last hour or so; now it is just a case of moving the seat around until the slot clears the seat mechanism channels.

Also you might consider putting a battery charger on your battery. All this fooling about draws the battery down, (power seats, door lights, nav system), so a weak battery and removing the DVD and then reinserting it could fuss up the computers and then you will have more problems.

A Land Rover is neither easy to work on, nor is it forgiving.

It regards all drivers as mere chauffeurs and the owners are deemed to be landed gentry. The boffins who service them, well, that is why they are called boffins.
I can't thank you enough. I moved the front seat forward and ejected the DVD and it came off easily. Wow what a pain but mission accomplished. Now to find out where to buy the updated version without breaking the bank lol

Attached Thumbnails Where do I find the Nav DVD on a 2008 Range Rover Sport Supercharge?-img_20150101_194722.jpg  
Old 01-01-2015, 07:50 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 145 Likes on 127 Posts
Default Let us know what you find re an update disc.

I see 2006 written on the one you removed.

I now have a 2008 disc in mine and per the link in one of my posts above, the latest disc appears to be 2011 for $US 199.00

Let us know what you find.

I would pay the two hundred but it would have to be for a more current disc. Data four years out of date is a bit too old I figure for full price.

And your persistence paid off - well done.

The following users liked this post:
alwezl8 (01-02-2015)
Old 01-02-2015, 09:12 AM
Overlanding

I was hoping that they have a 20014/15 for that price. It does not make sense to pay $199 for a 4 year old update. Thanks a lot for all your time and detail explanation on how to get to the DVD. Much appreciated. Have a great 2015

Old 01-02-2015, 10:11 AM
Pro Wrench
Default Perhaps sent them an email.

Perhaps you could send them an email. I was thinking of doing that.

I think that an updated disc is probably not as easy as we think it should be.

My original disc was 2004 and I updated with a 2008 disc.

Yes, local roads were updated as I anticipated but to my surprise, so was the format and operation of the unit.

It appears that the update included software changes to improve the usability of the NAV unit. I found the format changes to be a real positive.

This would be the hard part and I can understand the Nav guys not wanting to put the effort into it as the sales volume would not likely provide for cost recovery, let alone a margin.

The reality of vehicle specific Nav units is that I do not think very many vehicles have them. Yes, new cars do have glowing screens on the dash now but they are for the radio, heater/AC, and backup camera, not for any sort of built in navigation. It seems that the sort of free Google updates on separate units have won the day.

What makes our NAV unit special is what we call the DVD player actually contains within what I call inertial guidance sensors so that the unit can navigate for some distance without GPS signals.

This is useful when driving the tunnels of Paris where there are both left and right hand underground exits in the tunnel system. I suppose New York and Tokyo has the same sort of underground road structure. Due to cost, nothing Google has created that I know of has inertial navigation and will not for the foreseeable future.

Anyway, news of any progress you can make re an update would be appreciated.

alwezl8 (01-03-2015)
Old 01-03-2015, 05:38 PM
Overlanding

I sent them an email asking on when they think they will release the latest version. Hoping that they respond and I will post their response

Old 01-03-2015, 06:59 PM
Pro Wrench
Default appreciate that

If they do not reply back in a couple of weeks, please let me know and I will then send them an email asking the same question.

If no one asks, for certain there would not be an update.

I note that the latest EU update appears also to be 2011/2012 as well, and their market is I think bigger than the North American market so that is not encouraging.

Old 01-07-2015, 09:36 PM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by bbyer
If they do not reply back in a couple of weeks, please let me know and I will then send them an email asking the same question.

If no one asks, for certain there would not be an update.

I note that the latest EU update appears also to be 2011/2012 as well, and their market is I think bigger than the North American market so that is not encouraging.
I will let you you if and when they get back to me.

bbyer (01-07-2015)
Old 01-08-2015, 02:17 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

They're not going to release an update. Long thread about it on disco3.co.uk
I can't find it now, but I was following it for weeks.
*If* LR orders a new map set, they will, but LR is not planning to order the set.

Old 01-08-2015, 06:08 PM
Pro Wrench
Default Pressure tactic on Land Rover?

That was the pretty much what I had read as well. The comments were in reference to updating the EU map disc.

At the same time, I tended to regard the response as a tactic to pressure LR to place a not profitable sized order for the benefit of Navteq or whoever has replaced them.

As such, as owners, it is now up to us to show an interest in an update in the hope that someone there sees profit opportunity.

It is kind of like since Gates can just say he is no longer supporting XP and there is nothing you can do about it, (no business case), then other outfits get the same idea as well. It is called "me too".

Old 01-08-2015, 08:49 PM
Overlanding

Here is the response that I received back regarding the latest update. Pretty disappointing response:

Nicole <webstore-na@here.com>
1:22 PM (8 hours ago)

to me
Hello Eddie,

Thank you for inquiring about HERE Maps. Unfortunately, at this time no new release dates have been planned for your 2008 Range Rover Sport. We do apologize for the inconvenience.

If you need additional assistance, please send us your feedback by replying to this email.

Kind regards,

HERE Customer Service
P.O. Box 1588
Orem, UT 84059

Quick Reply: Where do I find the Nav DVD on a 2008 Range Rover Sport Supercharge?