LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why LR3 hate from reviewers?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 04:39 PM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why LR3 hate from reviewers?

So I have a 2005 LR3 V8 SE that I absolutely LOVE!
Ive been reading a lot of reviews on LR3s (05-09) and most of them criticize the braking, engine (Jag V8), and ride/handling. For a nearly 3 ton vehicle, the braking is incredible (172 ft stopping distance from 70 mph for a car of this mass is far from "leisurely"). On top of that. the V8 in my LR3 is a perfect match for the car. as soon as I break 3500 RPM, the thing takes off. This thing is in no way underpowered. And lastly, the ride is fantastic. I have never felt more secure in a vehicle ever. There is no wind noise, little engine noise (though I love punching it to hear that V8 purr), Absolutely no road noise. Jeremy Clarkson from Top Gear said it best "Instead of going over bumps, the LR3 goes through them". So why are Car and Driver and other American reviewers showing so much "hate" for the LR3 for lack of better words. The only issue I have with the LR3 is paying for premium gas at an average of 14 or 15 mpgs in regular driving. Anyone have any comments about their LR3 or opinions on some of these reviews?

Old 01-22-2013, 05:30 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's reviewed mostly from the perspective of your average consumer. They're used to SUVs/crossovers. The LR3 is more like a tank. Even the larger SUVs are tailored to soccer moms and pavement, not the most capable 4x4xFar. And compared to these SUVs built to have excellent on road manners, the LR3 is not going lead the pack. There are some valid criticisms or deficiencies but considering the size and complexity of these behemoths, I view them more as nuances and compromises than deal-breakers.

It ain't for everyone or the average one, that's for sure!

Old 01-22-2013, 11:22 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

LR3's are as unique as their owners. We are the type of owners that will never own a Toyota Camery or Honda Accord.....never.

Old 01-23-2013, 10:20 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 145 Likes on 127 Posts
Default LR3 is special rather than average.

At times, as in paying for the routine maintenance, (not many repairs but lots of maintenance), I get annoyed with my 3.

The reality is that it is no Jeep, not a Land Cruiser nor Lexus etc equals it; perhaps the only real competition it has is the Mercedes G Wagon.

The G Wagon might beat it for rigidity, (it really is a safe), but not for comfort. I doubt the G Wagon is quieter at speed; the 3 is more of an autobahn race truck rather than Baja buggy. It excels in what I call the small stuff - better real turning radius than most 4x4's; certainly better radio if you have the HSE; better lights if you have the stock HID's; better ride than any SUV anywhere, maybe even a better ride than the new 2013 Full Fat Range Rover HSE; air bags everywhere; good anti skid system; ease of entry for your Grandmother - yes that matters; first class second seat seating - three sun roofs - surprises most riders, they realize the vehicle is special.

Yeah, I guess paying what seems like a fortune for the required maintenance is worth it - special is rarely cheap.

Old 01-27-2013, 11:46 PM
TReK
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

I have had a Discovery I - a 1997.
And then bought a 2001 Discovery II.
Very different ride than the D1.
Betting the LR3 is totally different than the Discovery II.

The Jaguar engine V8 probably benefits from not having steel sleeves that can drop?

This has been the bane of the Discovery I and Discovery II.

Old 01-28-2013, 04:54 PM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by bbyer
At times, as in paying for the routine maintenance, (not many repairs but lots of maintenance), I get annoyed with my 3.

The reality is that it is no Jeep, not a Land Cruiser nor Lexus etc equals it; perhaps the only real competition it has is the Mercedes G Wagon.

The G Wagon might beat it for rigidity, (it really is a safe), but not for comfort. I doubt the G Wagon is quieter at speed; the 3 is more of an autobahn race truck rather than Baja buggy. It excels in what I call the small stuff - better real turning radius than most 4x4's; certainly better radio if you have the HSE; better lights if you have the stock HID's; better ride than any SUV anywhere, maybe even a better ride than the new 2013 Full Fat Range Rover HSE; air bags everywhere; good anti skid system; ease of entry for your Grandmother - yes that matters; first class second seat seating - three sun roofs - surprises most riders, they realize the vehicle is special.

Yeah, I guess paying what seems like a fortune for the required maintenance is worth it - special is rarely cheap.
You are so right about all of this. The turning radius is freaking phenomenal!! So true! My V8 SE has 10 speaker Harman Kardon sound but only lacks 4 extra tweeters (in the HSE) which does make sound more clear. The subwoofer and mids in the doors put out so much bass and the highs from the tweeters are amazing as well. Maintenance and fuel do cost a lot but IMO they become irrelevant once you start driving the tank!

Old 01-28-2013, 04:57 PM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by jfall
I have had a Discovery I - a 1997.
And then bought a 2001 Discovery II.
Very different ride than the D1.
Betting the LR3 is totally different than the Discovery II.

The Jaguar engine V8 probably benefits from not having steel sleeves that can drop?

This has been the bane of the Discovery I and Discovery II.
My Dad had an 01 Disco II which was definitely a different car than the LR3. I loved that car because you had that "above everyone else" land rover vibe but it definitely was not the car that the LR3. Land Rover made the LR3 better in everything. Build quality also is very solid, the car feels like one solid piece, whereas the old Disco definitely felt somewhat lacking in quality. But both are very solid vehicles IMO. I would not want to go back to a Disco but still a great truck

The Jag V8 is such a solid match for this car too. much smoother tranny as well. The LR3s engine delivers such an aggressive, elegant purr that was nowhere to be found in the Disco. Once you get past 3500 RPMs, this car will beat any vehicle in its class in speed.

Last edited by 05LR3V8SE; 01-28-2013 at 05:00 PM.