LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wife is about done, I'm thinking

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2016, 10:23 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Wife is about done, I'm thinking

Picked up the 08 lr3 about seven or so months ago, have had a little fun with it so far while only having it in the shop twice for repairs, but this time it broke down as soon as we got to our destination in Colorado. Waited years on this moment and its ruined. Especially since everything is closed for the holidays. Now she has to rent a car to get back home tomorrow and I will have to miss work til it's repaired. No bueno at all

Old 09-05-2016, 12:40 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2,297 Likes on 1,688 Posts

How did it die? Any generic OBDII codes you can pull? If it's can-bus related check the TCM for corrosion, if it's power related check all the battery terminals.

Old 09-05-2016, 08:28 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Best4x4
How did it die? Any generic OBDII codes you can pull? If it's can-bus related check the TCM for corrosion, if it's power related check all the battery terminals.
I THINK it may be the thermostat. It overheated and the bleeder valve busted (don't know which has happened first). As fate would have it we broke down five miles from a friend's house. Had it towed there, got a ride to the LR dealership in Colorado Springs to get the new valve and put it on. Temperature gauge is still going haywire (not moving, or going up before the red then returning immediately back to normal by killing it and turning the key back on). I've experienced some of these things, but not all.

Old 09-05-2016, 09:24 AM
Super Moderator

I plan on ditching the plastic T fitting with a straight metal nipple and eliminating that weak link. Sure it helps get the air bubbles out quicker, but you can get the air pocket out other ways vs having that weak link and possibly breaking down.

Probably have an air pocket and the gauge is going up/down due to it. I highly recommend having a little scanner like the Ultra Gauge or ScanGauge II. It'll read OBDII faults, but I love it for it's live data on temps, RPM's, and voltage.

If all the new parts are installed, add coolant and top it off, let it idle with the heater on for a bit (helps to have the nose of the vehicle on ramps or on a steep driveway). Then shut it off, and let it cool down completely. After that check the coolant level, top off and repeat. After the second cycle you should be able to top it off again, and go for a drive.

I'm sure that cap blew off and caused you to overheat. It's a weak link in the LR3 cooling system. Just be glad it wasn't a can-bus issue!!!!!!

Old 09-05-2016, 10:59 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Best4x4
I plan on ditching the plastic T fitting with a straight metal nipple and eliminating that weak link. Sure it helps get the air bubbles out quicker, but you can get the air pocket out other ways vs having that weak link and possibly breaking down.

Probably have an air pocket and the gauge is going up/down due to it. I highly recommend having a little scanner like the Ultra Gauge or ScanGauge II. It'll read OBDII faults, but I love it for it's live data on temps, RPM's, and voltage.

If all the new parts are installed, add coolant and top it off, let it idle with the heater on for a bit (helps to have the nose of the vehicle on ramps or on a steep driveway). Then shut it off, and let it cool down completely. After that check the coolant level, top off and repeat. After the second cycle you should be able to top it off again, and go for a drive.

I'm sure that cap blew off and caused you to overheat. It's a weak link in the LR3 cooling system. Just be glad it wasn't a can-bus issue!!!!!!
I'm pretty sure the thermostat is out. We're going to take it to a shop and I'm going to wait here for it and go back later.
I noticed that you are in Beaumont! My mom lives in orange. I make it down about every three years and I'm due now.

Old 09-05-2016, 04:16 PM
Super Moderator

Yeah it sounds like it's out.

Yeah I actually live in Vidor, TX. I have a pretty good little LR collection going right now. LR3's are a bit more complicated vs the older RRC/D1/D2, but they're very nice vehicles.

If you're ever in the area let me know and I'll meet ya for lunch or a drink sometime.

Old 09-05-2016, 04:33 PM
Mudding

Sounds great definitely. I'd love to check out your collection. I'm eventually going to get an older discovery. I think they're beautiful vehicles

Old 09-05-2016, 04:54 PM
Super Moderator

Yeah every time I think hmmmm I could sell the 98 D1, I go move it or drive it, and I'm like oh my what a lovely British 4x4!!! I'm extremely lucky to have such a great D1 that was well cared for.

I love the body lines of it, the D2 headlights in the D1 look great, and with a 2inch lift and aggressive M/T's it looks just absolutely awesome. If I sold it I'd regret it instantly. My wife has come to understand that all the LR's I have are unique. I have a thing for Yellow LR Special Vehicles and my ex g/f way back when actually made me sell my 97 Range Rover Vitesse in AA Yellow because she said it just looked like a school bus.... I regret selling it dearly to this day, but when I found my Kalahari I so so happy!

Old 09-05-2016, 05:05 PM
Mudding

I'd have to say the D2 is probably my favorite. There's one in my area that is white and says ROVER in big letters on the side and it makes me drool. I really want to replace my Avalanche with one.

Old 09-05-2016, 06:02 PM
Super Moderator

Sounds nice!

Quick Reply: Wife is about done, I'm thinking