LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best All Season 19"

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2017, 09:53 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Best All Season 19"

My LR3 came with Perrelli scopion Zero and they seem fine for my type of driving. On my second set. They are good in rain and don't hydro plane easily like the Perrelli ATV. I do some light off roading but nothing crazy. I've driven them in a foot of snow with no issues and they are suppose to be poor in the snow.

The main complaint is they wear out fast. Id say they last around 25k-30k miles. But maybe that is why they are good on the road, they are sticky and have good grip not sure on that though.

Anyone here change from the Zeros to another year round tire?

I thought about getting winter tires but its too much of a hassle swapping tires twice a year so I would rather just put one set on and go.

Thanks!

Old 09-30-2017, 09:33 PM
Winching
Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

Installed Bridgestone Dueler HL Alenza's when I bought the truck and am very satisfied... quiet, good in wet and seem to be long wearing but would not recommend for all season.

Old 09-30-2017, 09:47 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,465 Likes on 1,196 Posts

I've always had good luck with michelin tires when buying all seasons. Admittedly don't think I have ever bought all seasons for a Land Rover

Old 10-01-2017, 12:39 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by ArmyRover
I've always had good luck with michelin tires when buying all seasons. Admittedly don't think I have ever bought all seasons for a Land Rover
So you buy pure Road tires for summer and winter tires?

Or do people just buy pure off road tires and drive them on pavement year round?

Old 10-01-2017, 07:20 AM
Super Moderator
Received 1,465 Likes on 1,196 Posts

On my RRC I ran BFG AT, on the D2 I ran Atturo MT, on the 110 Guard Dog MT and on both LR3s i have AT tires. One is running General AT2 the other Hankook Dynapro AT

The Expedition had Bridgestone all seasons and it couldn't handle wet grass.

I only put all season tires on cars.

Last edited by ArmyRover; 10-01-2017 at 07:24 AM.
Old 10-01-2017, 11:14 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I run the Goodyear Duratrac tires on our 07' HSE.

Old 10-01-2017, 07:36 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Search for Nokian WRG 3 s

The following users liked this post:
RAJOD (10-01-2017)
Old 10-01-2017, 11:37 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by ArmyRover
On my RRC I ran BFG AT, on the D2 I ran Atturo MT, on the 110 Guard Dog MT and on both LR3s i have AT tires. One is running General AT2 the other Hankook Dynapro AT

The Expedition had Bridgestone all seasons and it couldn't handle wet grass.

I only put all season tires on cars.
Well I have to face it I am on pavement more than off road. And most off road tires are not great on the highway, some have issues with hydroplaning, loudness or just wear out fast as they were meant for off road.

Old 10-01-2017, 11:40 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by thorgal
Search for Nokian WRG 3 s
Those look nice. which tread pattern did you get?

https://www.nokiantires.com/all-weat...s/nokian-wrg3/

245/45R19 102 V XL up to 149 mph, max load 1870 lb List dealers 255/35R19 96 V XL up to 149 mph, max load 1570 lb List dealers 255/40R19 100 V XL up to 149 mph, max load 1800 lb

Old 10-02-2017, 12:00 AM
Rock Crawling

Looks like they don't make Nokkian WRG 3 in the proper size.

I have 255/55/R19 - 30.04" tall.

Won't going shorter or taller throw off my speedometer readings?

NM found them on Discount tire site in right size.

Good reviews from LR4 owners too. Here is one.

"The only ALL Weather tires I will ever buy. This is my 3rd set on 2 different vehicles. Awesome tire!"

But... They not so good in rain.

I bought these tires in August 2016 and so I've had the 16" Nokian WRG3 SUV on my minivan for over a year now. I was disappointed several times throughout my ownership. Firstly, they are more expensive than regular all-seasons at $900/set instead of $700/set.
In the summer, they are pretty horrible in the rain, with a lot of lost traction during moderate acceleration and wet cornering. Braking in the rain is the same thing. They are fine in the summer in dry weather. On a positive note, the tires give the van a firmer feel and more stability during cornering. In the winter, the Nokian WRG3 SUV performs at the same level as the cheapest dedicated winter tires you can get! I expected them to be at least as good as mid-range winter tires... but no... they are only as good as the cheapest winter tires. They slide out easily even in modest snow; braking performance is pretty bad for a winter tire. On ice, forget about it! I would not recommend these tires; an all-weather tires is a good idea in theory, but honestly, a dedicated winter tire is the best bet. Also, there is some light cracking on two of the tires between the treads, near the sidewalls... I addressed my concerns to Nokian North America and they advised me to go to the dealer where I got the tires to get tread depth measured. I did that two months ago and did not hear anything back... so I emailed them two weeks ago and a week ago... NOTHING! Bad after-sale customer service and an expensive product that is marginally worse than average.

No, I don't recommend this product

But better than Nitto grapplers

Just put a set on my wife's Land Rover LR3 (replaced nitto trera grapplers) Living in the U.P. of Michigan I can say that we definitely get the snow and Ice. Traction on ice is definitely impressive. After reading hundreds of reviews about Nokian Tires and seeing the high ratings I can honestly say that they are worth every penny! In my book the WGR3 is the only choice if you don't want to deal with having to change your tires to a dedicated snow tread/compound every season. I am now a dedicated customer!
Yes, I recommend this product

----------------------
This guy had the Perelli Scopion Zeros like me and changed over.
------------------------------

The diff tread you referred to was for passenger/light cars but the directional tread and the one you have is the WRG3 SUV....it all depends on the size of tire and obviously the bigger tires with higher load rating will require the SUV tires.

I installed a new set of these WRG3 SUV tires on my Volvo XC60 several weeks ago to replace the 5yr old OEM Pirelli Scorpions zeros w/c were great tires but we needed better tires for winter and we didn't want to bother with the changeover to dedicated winters then summers during fall and summer, not to mention the cost and storage space for a set of wheels/tires. I stumbled upon Nokian tires since I deal with Kal Tire here in Canada and they're the only exclusive retailers for Nokians.

What a difference in grip and handling in snow/ice and cold weather even in slush/rain! I only noticed that yes they were a bit louder and firmer than the OEM tires but thats because if the tread pattern but you do get low rolling resistance which is a bonus therefore better MPG. I would say it depends on where you live and if you do get snow/ice and extreme cold weatherspells then these are the ideal tires without having to changeover to dedicated winters. Regarding treadlife/wear, these tires have a UTQG rating of 600 A A which was even better than the OEM Pirellis that had 520 A A so the Nokians should last longer if not on par with your older all season tires. The WRG3s should perform well even during the summer months.

I am really impressed with these all weather plus tires and these are quality made tires from Finland...very popular in Europe and Russia but no so much here in NA...no wonder when you see videos of Nokian tires being tested the vehicles they use are always Audis, Volkswagens, Volvos,
Mercedes
, etc (European vehicles)

I looked at the AT tires but they have too many trade offs. Worse on dry, worse on wet, noise, worse on snow and ice.
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/videoDisplay.jsp?ttid=210&videoID=413

Last edited by RAJOD; 10-02-2017 at 01:28 AM.

Quick Reply: Best All Season 19"