LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windshield Wiper Issue, Park Switch how to?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2017, 07:41 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Windshield Wiper Issue, Park Switch how to?

I have a 2006 LR3 HSE, and from the threads I've read I'm fairly certain that I have a bad park switch. The wipers work in flick mode and on full speed, but none of the intermittent settings work. Also the wipers stop wherever they are on the windscreen when I release the stalk instead of returning to the horizontal position. So first question, am I correct in my diagnosis of a bad park switch?

Follow on question, does anyone have a walkthrough for how to replace it? I've been perusing the different forums trying to find a how to, and maybe my search ability is weak, but I haven't turned anything up yet. I'd appreciate any help you guys can give me!

Old 07-01-2017, 11:32 PM
Winching
Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

Not sure on the wipers not returning to horizontal position but the intermittent wiper feature doesn't operate like on a regular car. When the stalk is in position 1, between off and full on, that is the auto wiper position. The twistable intermittent feature on the stalk controls the sensitivity of the auto wipers. If your truck doesn't have the auto wiper feature, then I'm at a loss on both counts.

Old 07-02-2017, 06:37 PM
Drifting

I do indeed have the auto wipers. My understanding was that position 1 (one up from the wipers being off) is the auto sensing mode as you said, position 2 was a slower wiper setting that isn't auto-sensing, and then position 3 was the full speed setting (which is the only setting that works right now along with the flick wipe). I know that the auto-sensing position doesn't work along with the other settings because I drove through a pretty heavy rainstorm the other day and there was definitely no function. The threads I've gone through that have referenced problems like mine have actually been in discovery II's, not LR3's, but the problem was in the switch, which is making me think that the switch is my problem. Then again discovery II's and LR3's are different animals, so I could be barking up the wrong tree.

Last edited by TheVolunteers; 07-02-2017 at 06:45 PM.
Old 07-06-2017, 02:46 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 454 Likes on 405 Posts

"Rain sensing wipers" came only on vehicles equipped with adaptive headlamps, I think....at least they did in 2005. Do your headlamps move?

Old 07-06-2017, 02:49 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by houm_wa
"Rain sensing wipers" came only on vehicles equipped with adaptive headlamps, I think....at least they did in 2005. Do your headlamps move?
Yep, I have those too.

Old 07-14-2017, 09:26 AM
Winching
Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

If the wipers aren't returning to their "parked" location, I would think that indicates a problem with the relay (which keeps the power on until they are in the right spot) or as you said, whatever senses they are in the right spot.

I know almost nothing about the wiper system in the LR3 though, it could be like everything else and be completely non-conventional and computer controlled.

Your understanding of the wiper settings seems to be accurate. Strange that they don't work on the "low" setting only.

Based on this and your other thread about the transmission faults, have you checked your windshield cowling to see if it is warped up at all at the bottom of the windshield? If so, this could allow water onto some sensitive electronics.

Old 07-23-2017, 11:26 PM
Drifting

I did try swapping around the relays that controlled the wiper speeds, but unfortunately no dice. My windshield cowling is warped however. Fortunately it doesn't rain much here in central Oregon, but as soon as I cross the mountains that changes. I'm figuring on trying to put down some 3M tape as a quick fix until I can devise something more permanent (I'm a little hesitant to just replace the cowling with a new one since in the hot high desert sun it will probably warp again fairly quickly). Then I'll have to do some digging in the engine bay to see if I can find any corroded electrical connectors. I'll try to keep everyone posted if I find anything.

Originally Posted by djkronik57
If the wipers aren't returning to their "parked" location, I would think that indicates a problem with the relay (which keeps the power on until they are in the right spot) or as you said, whatever senses they are in the right spot.

I know almost nothing about the wiper system in the LR3 though, it could be like everything else and be completely non-conventional and computer controlled.

Your understanding of the wiper settings seems to be accurate. Strange that they don't work on the "low" setting only.

Based on this and your other thread about the transmission faults, have you checked your windshield cowling to see if it is warped up at all at the bottom of the windshield? If so, this could allow water onto some sensitive electronics.

Old 07-24-2017, 11:21 AM
Winching
Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

My cowling was warping on the passenger side so I put some black Gorilla tape on it and it's still looking good and sealing better than the original cowling did. Plus, unless you looked close, you'd never even know it was there.

Old 08-11-2017, 10:32 AM
Drifting

So the culprit of my problem was the wiper motor, expensive part to replace but I have no issues now. I also got the cowl sealed so my electronics should be protected once it does rain again. Hopefully this helps the next guy if they run into my same issues!

Old 08-11-2017, 03:39 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,465 Likes on 1,196 Posts

Thanks for the follow up threads are much more helpful with the closure.