LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windshield Wiper related wind noise!

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 09:51 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 144 Likes on 127 Posts
Default Windshield Wiper related wind noise!

This weekend, Itook my new to me 2005 LR3 HSE out on the highway. Overall I was very pleased: good acceleration, good mileage (20miles / Imperial gallon),nice ride and great radio. The onlyitem that showed up was on occassion, a wind related noise that I eventually determined to be windshield wiper related. At about 120 kph, a wind noise would commence that would stop if I speeded up to above 125 kph, or dropped my speed to about 115 kph. I also discovered that if I turned the windshield wipers on, as soon as the wipers moved from the park postion, the noise would stop. I assume that my LR3 is not the only one to have this so I presume that there is a fix.

I have to complement my wifefor telling me that the noise was windshield wiper related. It turns out she had the same problem with her 2004 Passat when new.The VW dealer made some adjustment re the wiperblades andthe concern was history. Apparently it was a common problem onPassats.

Old 11-05-2008, 09:36 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Windshield Wiper related wind noise!

There is a bulletin about juddering when wiping. Another place to look is at the A-pillar trim pieces(the black plastic vertical pieces on the left and right side of the windshield). The clips at the bottom tend to break and at highway speeds, they will slap against the hood and cause a clicking type noise to be heard in the dash. Although neither of these are the same as what you are describing, they might be related. Post what the resolution of this issue is, if you could please.

Old 11-06-2008, 11:50 AM
Winching
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I am by no means an expert but I would sugest, since it is an 05 second owner, that you check to make sure the last owner did not go cheap on the last wiper blade change and put in the cheap blades that don't have the built in wind deflector on them.

Old 11-07-2008, 01:01 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also a good point, Jantiz.

Old 11-20-2008, 07:20 AM
Pro Wrench

The blades look original, but if so, since they are coming on three years old, I am going to purchase two new ones from the Land Rover dealer, plus one for the rear, as it does not seem to wipe as well as I think it should. I guess the good news is that the noise problem does not seem to be very common so probably the problem is just the blades being old or something. Appreciate the comment re the A pillar trims - mine are OK, but worth keeping an eye on.Will keep you posted re results of new wiper blades.

Old 11-20-2008, 11:09 AM
Winching

I just replaced my wiper blades, expecting rain and snow mix here in Maryland very soon. I thought to save a little money by buying the "cheaper than stock" high end blades from the local auto parts. After trying on the top models from three different brands I've come to one conclussion. LR3s MUST have Land Rover blades installed to work properly. Every other kind I tried either chirped and skipped, or down right did not fit correctly onto the arm, making rattling noises. As soon as I got the LR blades from the dealer and installed them, everything went back to working like a well oiled machine. So, bite the bullet and prepare to pay the crazy prices LR wants for wiper blades, ESPECIALLY that small rear one that the most expensve of the three, but they do work VERY well for the money.

Old 11-23-2008, 11:27 PM
Pro Wrench
Default Purchased new LR blades

Yes, on Friday, Ishrank my wallet and did purchase the official LR blades. Per the prices below, I guess I feel betterto hear that one needs the official LR blades are they run about double quality aftermarket blades. I do not yet know if that solved the wind noise at 125 kph problem as the blades I removed were also official Land Rover as well, (existing and replacement looked the same),but I suppose new in 2005 so ...

These are Canadian Edmonton Alberta prices. Tax is extra

Front DKC500240 Blade Assy - WI $41.65 each; two required.
RearDKB500680 Blade Assy - WI $25.64 each; one required.

I might add that re removal of the front blades, while fairly easy after you have done it a couple of time, figuring out how to release the clips for the first time was a bit of a trial for me anyway.

For first timers, I would suggest that one stuff a jacket or thick rag etc between the windscreen and the blade arm if one is all all uncertain as to how to remove the blade. When the blade does release, if one is not careful, the arm can smack back down directly on the heated windshield glass. Then dealer labour charges would look cheap.

Old 11-24-2008, 08:25 AM
Winching
Default RE: Purchased new LR blades

Very good point. Whatever you do, do not let that empty wiper arm smack back downagainst the windshield. Those defrost embeded windshields are NOT cheap!

Old 12-14-2008, 12:01 PM
7th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just order the Valeo Silencio from UK. People there speak highly about these. $60 shipped for the pair:

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic28351.html

Got them from here, part number UM665:

http://www.speeding.co.uk/acatalog/V...des.html#a4561

Will let you know how they work out in US

Old 12-18-2008, 01:05 PM
7th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got the Valeo blades from Tire Rack buy 1 get 1 free, good deal......
Just in time here in Socal for the rain......

Quick Reply: Windshield Wiper related wind noise!