LR4 Talk about the Land Rover LR4 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

20" Big Body wheels on LR4

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2020, 09:13 AM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 20" Big Body wheels on LR4

Yet another wheel and tire question!
I have an 2011 LR4 that I am beginning to build for the trails and retire from the daily driver role. I hate the lack of 19" tire options, so I just scored a set of 20" rims off an 08' RR super charged. I know its probably on here somewhere but after an hour of various searches, I am caving and asking you all for some help. You can make fun of me if you want or tell me how stupid these questions are, but I ask that you provide an answer with your mockery! I have seen some photos of others that have done this in the past, but with all that's out there and people taking threads from 20's to 18's its hard to follow, but I am also about 2 brain cells away from licking windows.

I have the ability to electric lift the truck with the RSW solutions software. I bolted the wheels up as a test fit, last night, to make sure there wasn't any interference with 255/55 R20's mounted on them. They fit and looked decent, but I would like something with a little more meat on the side wall and something like the BFG KO2's, Toyo Open Country, Cooper Dico. SSt's. (minor rubbing on plastic isn't a major issue for me)

1) What's the various tire sizes that I can get into the wheel wells without using wheel spacers or modifying the plastic or frame horns?
2) Which lug nuts should be used?

I have never had the opportunity to compare RR and LR4's lug nuts side by side but the RR wheels with the LR4 nuts had the nuts sitting out a bit more than the stock 19" LR4 wheels. I assume they are the same, just thought id ask since they appeared different.

Thanks in advance!

Old 12-03-2020, 11:45 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, I have been exactly where you are now.

My LR4 had the 20 x 8.5 inch wheel option from new with Pirelli Scorpion 255 x 50 x 20 tyres.

Having semi retired the old girl to weekend driving, I purchased a couple of second-hand sets of the RR supercharged 20 x 9.5 wheels, one of which has a set of Cooper Zeon LTX Pro in 285 x 50 x 20 for daily driving duties and the other has a set of 33 x 12.5 x 20 KO3 BFG M/T for some serious off-roading. I also have the LIAMMS height controller which gives me another 3 or 4 inches of lift when I need it. I also have a set of 22 x 10 "Stormer" wheels with Continental 285 x 40 x 22 tyres, again these are dress wheels purely for on road or smooth dirt road driving and completely transformed the on road stability of the vehicle.

The obvious benefit of going from 20" to 18" is the increased sidewall and lower pressure/higher grip this offers. I personally prefer the bigger diameter for the better road holding and steering feel and accept the small sacrifice in ultimate off road ability.

Hope this helps in some way.

Old 12-05-2020, 07:24 AM
Winching
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

if you want trail rig you want 18 not 20... the increase in sidewall allows you to air down, it gives you a far superior range of options. its not about being ablate raise the truck to accommodate the tire size as much as it is to allow for greater ground clearance.. my 2 cents. Unless of course you also plan on re gearing the diffs, to take into consideration the increased strain from the larger tires onto 20 inch wheels under torque and stress. as well as the CV joints. Folks have done it... have a look at Mainline Overland just outside of Philly, They built a 06 or 08 RRS. thing is nuts, but it took a great deal work to make it all work. I run a 2011. went with Eva corse Dakar zero wheels and am running 265-65-18's its darn near perfect on and off road. couple that with on board air I have a fine running truck. Good luck