LR4 Talk about the Land Rover LR4 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2013 lr4 weird vibration issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2018, 03:21 PM
8th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2013 lr4 weird vibration issues

So my wifes lr4 has some weird issues. First being a vibration that comes in at about 2600 rpm and goes away at 3000. It kind of sounds like the engine getting louder for a brief second more focused on the driver side. Also its louder in 3rd gear. Another issue being a pulsing vibration that starts at 65mph to about 75mph. the pulses are around 1 second per pulse. The pulse gets faster as the speed rises and goes away after 75mph. The weird thing about this pulse is it completely stops when the steering wheel is turned slightly to the right, so if I'm on the freeway and the road curves right the pulsing goes away. Its prevalent going straight and around left hand curves.

Now we have an extended warranty and the vibrations seemed to get louder and I was getting what felt like the brakes grabbing when backing out at full lock. So I took it in and the Land rover mechanic who does warranty work ended up figuring out the front diff was making a "growling" noise. So they replaced the diff and upon putting everything back together saw some markings on the front right axle, so they replaced just the one. We get the car back and the vibrations are still there, granted they are a bit quieter but they are still there. Also our CEL went off with a P0106 code an hour after picking it up. So now the MAP sensor is giving us issues and we still have the vibrations.

I have an appt friday to drive the mechanic around to point out exactly what noises I'm hearing. Does anyone have any suggestions on which direction to point this guy in? I'm really confused as to why they would only replace one axle knowing they were running on a bad diff.

Old 09-12-2018, 08:43 AM
4wd Low

Any follow up information on this? Did you solve the vibration issue?

Old 09-17-2018, 05:12 PM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by mklinker
Any follow up information on this? Did you solve the vibration issue?
No the vibration seems to be getting worse after the initial repair. Now I'm getting a whistle/howl on the freeway that is dependent on if I'm pressing the gas. I've read that can either be the front diffs bearings going bad or the transmission.

Old 09-17-2018, 05:55 PM
4wd Low

Originally Posted by Axelander
No the vibration seems to be getting worse after the initial repair. Now I'm getting a whistle/howl on the freeway that is dependent on if I'm pressing the gas. I've read that can either be the front diffs bearings going bad or the transmission.
I have a whistling on the highway, very much dependent if I am pressing the gas as well.

Old 09-18-2018, 04:31 PM
8th Gear

I have a whistling on the highway, very much dependent if I am pressing the gas as well.
Are you also getting the same vibration issues?

Old 09-18-2018, 05:58 PM
4wd Low

Are you also getting the same vibration issues?
Yessir, same thing. I just found another thread where the vibration ended up being being a wheel bearing. I'm going to swap fluid in the diffs and transfer case this weekend to see if that helps out the whistling noise, and I've got a wheel bearing to try out as well.

Old 09-24-2018, 05:02 PM
8th Gear

Yessir, same thing. I just found another thread where the vibration ended up being being a wheel bearing. I'm going to swap fluid in the diffs and transfer case this weekend to see if that helps out the whistling noise, and I've got a wheel bearing to try out as well.
Any Updates on the noises?

Old 09-24-2018, 05:29 PM
4wd Low

Any Updates on the noises?
no change after diff/transfer case fluid change.
At this point I’m think the vibe is from a wheel bearing or control arm bushing.

Old 09-24-2018, 05:38 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

How many miles? I would assume a higher mileage due to extended warranty. Check the wheel bearings. Jack the front up and jiggle the wheel sidexside and up/down for excessive play.

Old 09-24-2018, 07:11 PM
4wd Low

Originally Posted by Nosugar0carbs
How many miles? I would assume a higher mileage due to extended warranty. Check the wheel bearings. Jack the front up and jiggle the wheel sidexside and up/down for excessive play.
The problem I see if that if it were bad enough to see the jiggling in the wheel, the symptoms would be worse.

Quick Reply: 2013 lr4 weird vibration issues