LR4 Talk about the Land Rover LR4 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2016 LR4 Gear Shift Selector stuck in park

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2024, 04:15 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2016 LR4 Gear Shift Selector stuck in park

The gear shift selector on my 2016 LR4 gets stuck in Park from time-to-time. It will go into drive after 2-5 mins of stopping and starting the car. I took it to a European Car Service company and they quoted me $4,000 to replace it. Which seems outrageous. Has anyone seen this issue before? Is this doable for someone to replace and fix on their own? If so, do you want what part(s) I need and the instructions? Thanks!

Old 01-13-2024, 01:04 AM
guy
Winching
Received 131 Likes on 115 Posts

usually, its a minor adjustment situation. Not a full on replacement. An LR dealer would probably have it corrected in less than an hour.

The following users liked this post:
skevyy1977 (01-15-2024)
Old 01-24-2024, 07:10 PM
3rd Gear
Default Shifter stuck fix

[QUOTE=skevyy1977;887403]The gear shift selector on my 2016 LR4 gets stuck in Park from time-to-time. It will go into drive after 2-5 mins of stopping and starting the car. I took it to a European Car Service company and they quoted me $4,000 to replace it. Which seems outrageous. Has anyone seen this issue before? Is this doable for someone to replace and fix on their own? If so, do you want what part(s) I need and the instructions? Thanks!

Had same issue and local
shop replaced entire shifter with parts and labor for $1,262

Old 01-26-2024, 11:54 AM
4wd Low
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Selector can get rebuilt

If it is just the gear selector you can get it rebuilt pretty reasonably. They are known to have issues with the solenoid and the circuit board can develop cracks that need addressed. There is a place in Canada you can send out the gear selector and have them rebuild it. If you do a search for my name you can find it somewhere in the chat. You can remove it quickly send it to them and get it back and install it. It comes with a warranty as well. Had mine redone and been working fine over a year. Good luck.

guy (07-30-2024)
Old 01-26-2024, 11:06 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had my 2014 LR4 fail to shift the other day. Came back to tow it and it shifted fine. I am concerned now about the reliability.

Old 01-27-2024, 06:18 AM
guy
Winching

Those damn gremlins…

Old 01-27-2024, 09:19 AM
4wd Low
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First, it's an easy swap out. I'm not a very experienced mechanic and it took me all of like 45 minutes to do. It actually took longer to make sure I was ordering a compatible unit it than it took to put it in when it arrived. It's pretty much plug and play from what it remember.

Also, before you go get a new one, or have your existing one rebuilt, how is your battery? When our batteries are on their way out all sorts of electrical gremlins start popping up in these things. Shortly after I replaced my gear selector my battery gave out, and I sometimes wonder if it really was a gear selector issue or if replacing the battery first would have solved the problem.

There are plenty of posts about swapping these out on the web. Good luck!

guy (07-30-2024)
Old 03-24-2024, 07:42 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Turismo Kid
First, it's an easy swap out. I'm not a very experienced mechanic and it took me all of like 45 minutes to do. It actually took longer to make sure I was ordering a compatible unit it than it took to put it in when it arrived. It's pretty much plug and play from what it remember.

Also, before you go get a new one, or have your existing one rebuilt, how is your battery? When our batteries are on their way out all sorts of electrical gremlins start popping up in these things. Shortly after I replaced my gear selector my battery gave out, and I sometimes wonder if it really was a gear selector issue or if replacing the battery first would have solved the problem.

There are plenty of posts about swapping these out on the web. Good luck!
Turismo Kid, where did you find a replacement, and do you have a part number? I have an 2014 LR4 that will not shift out of park. Dealership is say $1684.

Below is their very cryptic message:

"Technician's comments:RELATED TO THE ISSUE OF THE STUCK IN PARK POSITION, FOUND 2 CODE P080 PARK NEUTRAL SWITCH INPUT CIRCUIT AND P1707 PARK NEUTRAL INDICATION CIRCUIT ACTUATOR STUCK OPEN, NEED TO START TO REPLACING THE GEAR SHIFTER CONTROL MODULE CAUSE THAT THE PARK ACTUATOR SOLENOID IS OPEN CIRCUIT, AFTER INSTALLING THE GEAR SHIFTER RETEST TO MAKE SURE THE THE TRANSMISSION CONTROL MODULE IS DAMAGE TOO"

Thanks,

KeithB

Old 03-24-2024, 09:55 PM
guy
Winching

you do realize, all parts and labour at a dealer is covered for a year…. not so with others.

Old 05-03-2024, 01:24 PM
Three Wheeling

Resurrecting this thread—since my '14 won't move out of "park" yesterday. Pulled the code with GAP tool and this is the finding:

P176C-11 (28) Transmission range selector lock control error - General electrical failure - circuit short to ground
At 145582 mi
Triggered on 02-05-2024 07:44:37

So some kind of short—but triggered three months ago?? The truck's been shifting fine until yesterday.

I realize this is a long shot but just reaching out to those who will know more than I about this...

Is there a frequent "short to ground" failure mode here that might be an easy fix? (A short external to the shift selector?)
Or if I take the dive, and purchase a new shift selector to replace the existing, would that address the short? (Because the short is internal to the selector?)

Any advice appreciated. 🙏

Last edited by chakadog; 05-03-2024 at 02:58 PM.

Quick Reply: 2016 LR4 Gear Shift Selector stuck in park