LR4 Talk about the Land Rover LR4 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2016 lr4 scv6 timing chain

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2021, 03:03 PM
8th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2016 lr4 scv6 timing chain

Im working on my daughters 2016 LR4 SCV6 it’s making a lot of noise inside the engine - has random misfires - I have changed injectors, and coils. ’m looking for the information for installing a new timing chain.. also I’d like to be able to check that timing chain is actually correct now.. I’ve gotten it torn down to check everything and it seems that both chains and tensioner are good .. but seems like the left chain on cylinder 1,3,5 is a little bit too tight is that’s even possible? The chain on the oil pump and fuel pump seems to be a little lose.. but the tensioner on it seems to hang up. With all the plugs removed the engine seems pretty hard to spin over with a break over bar on the center bolt of the crank! So if someone can’t point me In the direction of all the correct alignment of the timing system? Thanks In advance for your help! And also open to any of possible solutions or things that I need to check?

Old 05-29-2021, 04:01 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 107 Likes on 89 Posts

I think Atlantic British posted a youtube video on changing the timing chain - probably also on their site with the timing chain kit. But if the chain is tight, doesn’t seem likely that it skipped timing. I also don’t hear too much about timing chains failing early in the post-2013 models. Is it throwing any timing related codes?

I’ve heard the variable valve timing components can cause some noise when they fail - might check the VVT solenoids to make sure they’re working. I haven’t heard reports of this on a car as new as this one.

You mention the HP fuel pumps, and there is a known issue with those pumps getting loud. LR issued a TSB on that a while back covering the 2016 models. Maybe they’re getting weak causing the random misfires.

If you’re seeing lean codes and misfires at idle, definitely check the PCV - that’s another known issue.

As for timing on the fuel pump cam, there is a video in this thread showing the timing marks. https://www.rangerovers.net/threads/...088-00.341777/

Old 06-03-2021, 10:41 AM
8th Gear
Default Timing chain !

Originally Posted by Jcwhite
Im working on my daughters 2016 LR4 SCV6 it’s making a lot of noise inside the engine - has random misfires - I have changed injectors, and coils. ’m looking for the information for installing a new timing chain.. also I’d like to be able to check that timing chain is actually correct now.. I’ve gotten it torn down to check everything and it seems that both chains and tensioner are good .. but seems like the left chain on cylinder 1,3,5 is a little bit too tight is that’s even possible? The chain on the oil pump and fuel pump seems to be a little lose.. but the tensioner on it seems to hang up. With all the plugs removed the engine seems pretty hard to spin over with a break over bar on the center bolt of the crank! So if someone can’t point me In the direction of all the correct alignment of the timing system? Thanks In advance for your help! And also open to any of possible solutions or things that I need to check?
Originally Posted by jlglr4
I think Atlantic British posted a youtube video on changing the timing chain - probably also on their site with the timing chain kit. But if the chain is tight, doesn’t seem likely that it skipped timing. I also don’t hear too much about timing chains failing early in the post-2013 models. Is it throwing any timing related codes?

I’ve heard the variable valve timing components can cause some noise when they fail - might check the VVT solenoids to make sure they’re working. I haven’t heard reports of this on a car as new as this one.

You mention the HP fuel pumps, and there is a known issue with those pumps getting loud. LR issued a TSB on that a while back covering the 2016 models. Maybe they’re getting weak causing the random misfires.

If you’re seeing lean codes and misfires at idle, definitely check the PCV - that’s another known issue.

As for timing on the fuel pump cam, there is a video in this thread showing the timing marks. https://www.rangerovers.net/threads/...088-00.341777/

Ok .. not sure how it’s possible for this vehicle to have been even running .. I’ve gotten to look at the timing chains .. they don’t appear to be lose at all .. if anything maybe too tight ..so I rolled the engine around a few times by hand .. I managed to get the lower timing marks on the chains in line with the correct marks on the guides etc. but the tops marks do not line up at all ..looks like someone changed these chains not long ago.. the cams are 180 degrees off! Is it possible for it to even run this way? I bought the kit to lock everything in cams, cranks etc. when I tried to lock the cams they had to be turned 180 degrees for the timing marks on the chain and gears to lineup ! So I removed the upper timing gears and lined everything up! So my question is.. is it possible for this engine to run with everything off like this? And it had to have been installed this way because someone made their own marks on the cam gears instead of using the correct ones..

Old 06-03-2021, 02:36 PM
Rock Crawling

I don’t know the answer to this question, but it seems like it would still run. I believe the fuel injection and firing is based on the cam position sensor (telling which stroke) and the crank position sensor (telling TDC). Thus, 180 off might be okay. I’m no mechanic though. In any event, if the cam timing was off, I would expect some kind of camshaft position error code to show up.

I wonder why someone was messing with the timing chain in a car this new.

Old 06-08-2021, 05:41 PM
8th Gear

It did have a camshaft sensor code...and it didn't run good... it looks like the chain on the fuel pump jumped.. the tensioner is hanging up.. bigger issues now, I've removed the head and found the issue that was making the unwanted noise.. seems to be a bad wrist pin.. searching for a short block.. since I can't seem to find pistons / rings and rods for purchase?

Old 06-08-2021, 06:24 PM
Rock Crawling

That sucks…sorry to hear. The aj126 engine was also used in the Range Rover Sport and some of the Jags (I think the XE, XF, F-Type), in case that helps your search at all. Why would the wrist pins be shot on a car this new?