LR4 Talk about the Land Rover LR4 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Added Warn winch in my own special way

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2020, 11:41 PM
Geo
Rock Crawling
Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Added Warn winch in my own special way

Thought I would share the final product. I did take some pictures, but feel like most of them have been posted elsewhere.

I really didn’t want to put a front bumper on my LR4 and felt that the hidden winches were a little too stealth. I really like the look of the 4 Runner center section with nudge bar, so, when I found one on Craigslist locally and a used Zeon platinum 10-S, the stars had aligned.

I have the 2013 version with front sensors and vision assist, which is two cameras on the upper/outer corners of the black non painted plastic center part.

Removing the bumper cover and the metal support was relatively easy. I broke a few of the retaining clips On the fender flares, but that’s typical. I knew that I’d need to redrill the 4Runner section to bolt to the frame. As I made some measurements, I realized that I would need to trim a little off of the bracket to clear the A/C Condenser plumbing. Also, I’d be trimming not just the plastic out, but also some of the painted plastic.
I also determined that there wasn’t room for the solenoid to be mounted on the top of the winch. There was about 2 inch of height that wouldn’t clear the headlight/radiator support horizontal. I purchased the 31inch relocation kit from Warn to place it behind the passenger side headlight.
After sleeping on it, I decided that O wanted the solenoid on top of the winch and that I’d cut out the crossbar. There is some stamped steel behind it that would need to be cut away as well. This wasn’t something I did lightly and decided that there wouldn’t be any serious impact to the structure. It certainly Would be a cleaner install.
So, bumper drilled and trimmed, center section cut out, it all bolted up nicely. Wiring was passed through to the engine bay. There has been a lot of discussion about the ground point. Fortunately, the negative cable was long enough to be bolted to the same terminal as the starter battery (I have a second battery on the driver’s side). This terminal is at the end of the 6 inch long negative grounding cable and is located on the body near where the fender and the windshield meet. I ran the positive to the fuseblock terminal from the positive end of the battery. I carved out a little plastic so that the cable could enter from the passenger side and the cover could be replaced as usual.
Next, I needed to create a bracket for the front air suspension valve block. That went really well. Cut a section of steel sheet to 4 inches, drilled 3 sets of two holes to match up with the rubber grommets. One hole smaller than the other connected with a slot cut with a Dremmel allowed me to insert and slide downwards just like the original. The bumper even had two extra slots to bolt to. For the washer reservoir, I fed a long bolt from the back, removed the brass bushing in the plastic and slid it onto the bolt after the first but. I added a second but to capture the reservoir. Seems very secure.
Finally, trimming away the bumper cover took a couple of hours. My dremmel needed a couple of cooling cycles. I will need to epoxy the fog lights back to the skin and still need to drill holes in the bumper for the two center parking sensors and the cameras. I cut out the mounting brackets and plan to epoxy them to the inside of the bumper after drilling the holes. Wiring will be a little short on the passenger side. I’ll have to work out placement where the cameras are useful and the sensors aren’t activated by the shackle mounting points.
Bumper skin is now mounted securely, edges have been trimmed up out with door edging from O’Reilly’s installed, the winch has been wired up. I had a couple of beers while staring at the winch to celebrate. Added some Warn Epic shackles and hook to finish it out.

Final step will be to add black mesh to the openings (front and sides). As I have the platinum version, I don’t need to manually reach in to engage or disengage the clutch free spool lever. This will allow plenty of airflow and cleanup the front.

Parts (total approximate cost was $1900, which is less than the retail on the winch)
Warn bumper part #100022 from newer style 4Runner (used)
Warn Zeon 10-S Platinum (used)
Small sheet of steel for bracket
2 Warn Epic shackles and Epic hook
Grade 10.9 bolts and nuts M10
Couple of drill bits 11.7mm and a stepped bit with heavy duty drill
High speed cutoff/grinder (cutting disks and grinder the dull the edges)
Sawsall with metal blade to cut crossbar

Now, I just need to hit the trails. Maybe Moab later this year at the Great American Rover Rally.

This photo is before the trim was applied. Mesh for the holes is on order and the sensors/cameras still need to be installed. I’ll update the photo when complete.

Now that you’ve seen the picture.....should I keep the polished aluminum fairlead or get a black one?

Comments and questions are welcome below.

The following users liked this post:
mmbirtcher (09-12-2020)
Old 05-28-2020, 10:08 AM
Geo
Rock Crawling
Default Pictures

The following 4 users liked this post by Geo:
Acosta Brandon (08-20-2020), BOHICA (07-30-2020), mmbirtcher (12-27-2020), morrisdl (06-24-2020)
Old 05-28-2020, 07:01 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,507 Likes on 1,234 Posts

Nice work

Old 05-28-2020, 08:35 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 734 Likes on 616 Posts

Thats pretty slick and I really like the final look. When I did my setup with factory bumper cover I actually cut out the center section of the bumper. So my valve block and washer fluid tank mounted as before. I then mounted the solenoid box next to the valve block.

What is the width of the runner section? I wonder how it would look on an LR3 which already has the lower bumper sorta "sectioned" off.

Old 05-28-2020, 09:07 PM
Geo
Rock Crawling

Overall width is right at 40 inches.

Thats a good idea to mount the solenoid to the side!

Old 06-17-2020, 09:47 AM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks great! I especially like the look of the nudge bar... not too many options there for the lr4

Old 06-24-2020, 07:29 AM
Mudding
Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

Good discovery! Who would have believed the 4runner bar fits so well. Looks like a mini A-Frame style.

Old 07-29-2020, 11:22 PM
Geo
Rock Crawling

Drilled the holes for the parking sensors and Vision assist cameras this weekend. Work great! I spend a good bit of time playing with location.

Anyone here have a 3D printer? I’d like to have some pop in inserts for the large holes. I’m slowly learning to model on my iPad.

Old 08-20-2020, 01:58 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Now can you do that to mine?