LR4 Talk about the Land Rover LR4 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Considering LR4

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 03:42 PM
Mudding
Received 136 Likes on 76 Posts
Default Considering LR4

Has anyone gone from a Japanese Truck to an LR4? We have driven Mitsubishi Monteros for years but it doesn't appear Mitsu is bringing the vehicle back to this country and we're looking for a vehicle that is competent off-road, can pull our travel trailer, and has a third row seat. Unfortunately there aren't many to choose from in the US and the LR4 looks to be the closest thing to fitting what we're looking for but I'm fearful of a British car based on their reputation for being mechanically unreliable.

Old 03-28-2011, 09:37 PM
Winching
Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Go for it!!! Whoo hooooo

Old 04-05-2011, 09:40 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hi there... i have a toyota sequioa that has been a pleasure to drive the past 6 years. i am seriously considering the hse but i am also concerned about the issues i have been reading about! it is a beautiful car... anyone out there willing to share their thoughts?

Old 04-05-2011, 11:12 PM
Mudding

what issues are you reading about that are causing you concern?

so far, none of the issues i have encountered have been significant or mechanical. almost all the problems were related to software. the only ongoign problem i still have is related to the surround camera system. outside of the inconvenience of occasional trips to showcase the issue again and waiting for the new parts, the car is fantastic.

taking the LR4 offroad is a treat too. it is unbelievable how capable a stock vehicle is. you will not regret making the switch to land rover.

Old 04-06-2011, 09:27 PM
2nd Gear

That's good to hear...Most of what I have been hearing is computer related. I am looking at the hse model not the lux, so I am hoping there are less tech. Problems. Also I have read that the breaks go rather quickly??? I know that every car has it's issues, I have been very lucky with my Toyota and just don't want to be sorry! I have not seen any on the road in my area..lots of range rovers but no lr4 models, don't know if that is a good or bad thing!

Old 04-06-2011, 09:44 PM
4wd Low

We have a 2006 LR3 SE and will be upgrading to an '11 HSE LUX Friday. We haul around two kids, the rest is saved for the truck. We love it, know the ins and outs of the cars and we're quite excited for the same car, only better.

Old 04-06-2011, 11:07 PM
Mudding

From a tech perspective, there are not significant differences between the HSE and LUX. Our LR4 had the Rear Seat Entertainment and the surroound camera system/auto folding mirrors. We didn't want the surround cameras, but did want the RSE. Many of the issues were related to the RSE and volume control with the headphones. The surround cameras is a whole different ball of wax. I would avoid the surround cameras, not much value in them.

As for the brakes, we just had ours in for the 15K service. The front still had 8mm, but the rear only had 5mm. I have been offroad several times and have been told that the offroading will definitely wear the brakes out more quickly. As i mentined in an earlier post, while I haven't received a quote for the brakes yet, my guess is about $700 for each front and rear so $1400 total. The vehicle weighs almost 6,000 lbs, so you have to expect to go through a lot of brakes and tires. There are also lots of posts if you want to do the brakes youself, you can. I'll just pay someone, rather than buying all the equipment to do it myself.

The reason you are not seeing many LR4's is due to the limited production. There were likely less than 3,000 total sold in the US. In speaking with my dealership, they said they will likely not ramp US production until 2012. Enjoy the fact that there aren't many out there. You'll have something unique for awhile.

Good Luck!

Y