LR4 Talk about the Land Rover LR4 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crank, No Start 2011 LR4

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2024, 12:26 AM
Overlanding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Crank, No Start 2011 LR4

Hi LR Community, just bought a Copart 2011 LR4. I have been researching these things for awhile. After dropping in a fresh battery the first issue was it cranks but will not start. It gets close but still won't turn over. After a couple of tries I can smell gas. I had purchased a Creader Elite. I am not getting any codes to guide me. I broke out the test light and started going through the list. I determined it has power and spark. When I checked the fuel injectors is seems like there is nothing but it is not throwing a code. When I look at the manual it suggested these items below. I have seen a couple threads on fuel pressure and fuel sensors but I don't want to start throwing money in the wrong direction. Any pointers would be appreciated.

*Engine breather system disconnected/restricted
*Ignition system
*Fuel system
*Electronic engine control
Action:
Ensure the engine breather system is free from restriction and is correctly installed. Check for ignition system, fuel system and electronic engine control DTCs and refer to the relevant DTC Index

Old 02-05-2024, 10:52 PM
Overlanding
Default Update: Fuel Injectors not getting any power or signal

Update: I reconfirmed the injectors are not getting any power and any firing impulse signal. The power and firing pulse run through the ECM. Something is preventing the ECM from sending the signal to the injectors. Below is the wiring diagram.

Old 02-06-2024, 05:29 AM
guy
Winching
Received 130 Likes on 114 Posts

Please see the other threads. All pinpoint tests in the workshop manual start with “confirm battery source”. Though you state it turns over lets not just rule it out.
Secondly, no codes?? Either your reader is garbage or the Central box is disconnected. We need a codes.

Last edited by guy; 02-06-2024 at 07:54 AM.
Old 02-06-2024, 01:32 PM
Overlanding

I am using a Launch Creader Elite but have decided to drop some coin on a GAPII reader. But yes, no codes relating to engine or fuel. I have power going through the fuse to the relay., to the ECM. I swapped relays with no change. After more reading I am going to go throught the fuel system sensors and connections. Someone reported the same issue and reseated the fuel rail sensor with success.

Last edited by Riese; 02-07-2024 at 10:42 AM.
Old 02-07-2024, 10:51 AM
Overlanding
Default Update 2.7.2024

Added a little more gas and an injector cleaner just to be sure it wasn't a low fuel issue. I also started with a fresh battery. I have it on a trickle charge to make sure it stays charged up since the engine is not running. I cranked it over 4 times then put the reader back on. Here are the results both LR and OBD. The plug misfire is because I had my spark tester on plug 7. Otherwse it sparks fine. I am trying to figure out if the computer is commanding the fuel relay to flip and energize the injectors. Thus far have no power at the injector. Schematic says that should be coming from ECM.

Old 02-07-2024, 05:06 PM
guy
Winching

Lots to read in the workshop manual on fuel charging and controls section. I wonder if your issues stem from the low pressure or its after, in the high pressure lines or even before that, like you, comms with ecm... But from your codes it seems the Fuel Rail Pressure and Temperature sensor are ok. on both sides. But the lost comms with ecm does happen and worries me nonetheless.
I was going to say ‘I’d start with confirming proper connectivity.’. But I have changed my mind. Humor us. Did you start with a system reset?

Old 02-07-2024, 05:59 PM
Overlanding

I am going own being a noob here. I have not. Where in the manual do I find the procedure to do that?

Old 02-07-2024, 11:27 PM
Overlanding

Disregard. I figured it out. Still crank, no start but it seemed closer to starting. Better than it ever did before. Still didn't start but I am leaning towards fuel pressure issues.

Old 02-08-2024, 06:25 AM
guy
Winching

ok. Lets do this systematically, though no codes.
Is there fuel? If Y,
Do you have fuel flowing through the low pressure line? If Y
Then its the high pressure system…

FYI, Others have replaced their tank mounted fuel pump…

The following users liked this post:
Riese (02-08-2024)
Old 02-08-2024, 10:42 AM
Overlanding

Thank you! I am on it and will report back what I find.

Quick Reply: Crank, No Start 2011 LR4