LR4 Talk about the Land Rover LR4 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crossover Tube Failure, take notes

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2021 | 12:29 PM
|
Recovery Vehicle
Default Crossover Tube Failure, take notes

We drove to Utah for a few days of skiing. We took our 2010 Range Rover Sport HSE 85,000 miles. It has been running great. I had been putting a list together of preventive maintenance items together to take care of over the next month or so. Included on the list was a water pump replacement and crossover tube and heater hose manifold. I pulled into the ski hill parking lot on Monday and noticed a faint smell of coolant. I figured that it was another vehicle. Gassed up and got on the road Tuesday morning. Got 30 miles into our 650 mile trip and got a low coolant warning light. I pulled over and noticed that the coolant tank was almost empty. Engine temp was right in the middle. Got to an O'reilly's and got two gallons of Dex-Cool. Put in about a quart. I looked around but could not see any signs of dripping coolant. Local dealer was booking 10 days out. Found a local "import" indy shop with good reviews, no local rover indy in the area. They got it on the rack and checked for leaks. They told me that it was a leaking water pump. Great, $850 with new water pump, oil cooler pipe, two belts and labor. Seemed fair. I didn't have a shop or tools and it was 40 degrees outside........ They got it back together and it was still leaking. After a few removal and replace, they determined it was the front crossover tube that was leaking down the front and around the water pump. They had to order the part from the dealer, thankfully it was in stock. The intake manifold has to be removed to replace the crossover tube. I had them order the rear heater hose manifold as well since the intake manifold was off. The owner worked late Wednesday night to get it back together, he was heading to Moab for the weekend.

Total bill, $1,800. Fair price. Probably would have been another $500 or $1,000 at the dealer. Parts were nearly $900 plus tax, labor around $900. (Prices charged for the parts - water pump $200, serpentine belt $80, stretch belt $70, front crosssover tube $95, rear heater hose manifold $130, oil cooler tube $35, a few hoses and a few other items as well, I probably could have saved $400 on the parts from Merriam Land Rover, Atlantic British or Lucky8.

They tested it Thursday morning and I picked it around 2 pm.
Roy's Auto in Orem, Utah. Nice guys, jumped right on the truck, did good work. . Bleeding the system alone might be work $1,000..........

Hit the road around 3 pm and made it back to San Diego around 1 am. No leaks, temp gauge was spot on the entire time. Great drive, incredible views and vistas, snow on the mountains, none on the road! Great shots of Zion's National Park at Kolob Canyon and Vegas at night. 19 mpg for the total trip of 2,000 miles, including multiple trips up Little Cottonwood Canyon.

If you are approaching 75 to 85 thousand miles, get the crossover tubes and rear heater hose manifold pipes on your weekend list. This is the first "breakdown" on the road with any of our 8 Land Rover/Range Rovers. Had I been at home it would not have been a big fix. Mainly just bolt off and bolt on. The only tough issue is the coolant bleeding. It might be worth buying the vacuum tool. There is also a rubber tube that runs under the intake manifold that would be work replacing since you are in there. good luck, drive safe! Phil

(You can order the front crossover (LR018275) for around $60, the two belts for $43, water pump for $180 (some water pumps come with the oil cooler tube), oil cooler tube $22 and the rear heater hose manifold (LR109402) $89)

The following 2 users liked this post by ljdiscovery:
marginroadtrip (08-27-2021), PaulLR (04-03-2021)
Old 04-03-2021 | 08:28 AM
Recovery Vehicle

You were lucky. Many other LR4 owners have experienced an immediate loss of nearly all the coolant when their crossover pipe failed. And then had to buy a new engine.

https://www.landroverworld.org/threa...t-death.42590/

Yes, as noted above, replace your LR4 coolant manifold and crossover pipe. I did mine around 100K miles.

The following users liked this post:
marginroadtrip (08-27-2021)