LR4 Talk about the Land Rover LR4 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Curt Trailer Hitch Install LR3/LR4

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2013, 05:44 PM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Curt Trailer Hitch Install LR3/LR4

I installed the curt trailer hitch yesterday. Just wanted to upload a few pictures.

Pros:
- Paid $150 off amazon instead of $500+ for the Land Rover Hitch

- Fairly simple instal IF you know what your looking for

- No concerns about someone stealing the hitch

- Tongue weight went from 500 pounds to 600 pounds.

Cons:

-As a said above it was "fairly" simple. The manual states instal should take roughly 30 minutes. I ended up working on it for about an hour & a half. The directions aren't a great help. Thankfully I am somewhat mechanically inclined & found the "fish wire" location before I had taken the entire bumper off.

-Living in colorado, it's an off-road mecca. Clearance is about a 1 & 1/2 feet. Give or take. And unfortunately it sticks out about 3 inches. There is a very possible chance of the hitch bottoming out from a significant off-road incline.

- Towing went from 7,700 pounds all the way down to 6,000 pounds. For those of you who tow quite often this can be very significant, others maybe not.

- Curt Manufacturing states this isn't a perminate install. However, after competling the process, the "fish wires" were toast. Not too big of a deal, but I will have to purchase more because the chances of dropping a bolt into the frame is VERY easy to do. In fact, I almost did it myself while banging my head against the frame lol

-Without the fish wires, uninstalling the hitch will be impossible because they need to go back into the frame to remove the hitch.

I'm positive it will be a much faster install/uninstall the second time because I know what to do!

Overall I'm happy with the hitch. But once I switch to the 18" OEM's I could see myself taking it off before I hit the trail. If you have any questions, or need help installing it yourself. I'd be happy to walk you threw the process.

I also have a full size 19" spare. The only problem I ran into was the tire would not fit. After deflating some air, the problem was solved and fit perfectly.

Here's the link where I posted the original article w/ photos under the lr3 category

https://landroverforums.com/forum/lr...install-59959/