LR4 Talk about the Land Rover LR4 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help PLEASE!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2021 | 09:22 AM
|
1st Gear
Default Help PLEASE!!!

Hey y’all! I have a 2011 Landrover LR4. I took it in to get new tires about 2 weeks ago. Since then it’s been a total crap show. My dash lights keep blinking that everything is at fault. My car won’t raise. My trunk won’t open half of the time. Sometimes it won’t even turn on. My parking, brake, air bag, seatbelt light are all on. My gas gauge says empty all the time. My rpm and speedometer work half of the time. I took it back to the tire shop and they won’t look at it. There was a few times when it wouldn’t turn on the a little cleaning and tightening of the cables fixed it. But the fault readings would still appear. Has this happened to anybody??

Old 03-30-2021 | 10:19 AM
Winching

sounds like the battery is bad, replace that first if you havent already.

Old 03-30-2021 | 11:55 AM
Rock Crawling

Agree. Battery - also alternator. Could also be corroded ground wire connection, but check battery and alternator first.

With everything off (that’s everything - if you open your door with your key around, that will turn some systems on - pop the hood and wait a few minutes for everything to go back off), put a voltmeter on the battery. You should see 12.6v for a fully charged battery. 12v is basically dead. Then, with the engine running, you should see something in the range of 14v-14.5 volts in the system. Anything less and the alternator is probably shot. You can also take it to an auto parts store or local mechanic and have them put their testing machine on it - usually a free service - they should be able to test battery and alternator (not sure how accurate they are - but probably okay).

Old 03-31-2021 | 04:13 PM
Recovery Vehicle

I agree, bad alternator and probably need a new battery too. I got the "Christmas Tree of Death" when my alternator failed.

Sorry to plie on, but the cause is probably an oil leak from the passenger side valve cover dripping oil into the alternator. It's a common issue.

Finding the correct alternator can be difficult since the part number keeps changing. Atlantic British carries the correct alternator you need.

And if you are replacing the valve cover gasket, while you are in there, replace the front coolant crossover pipe as well. When that goes you buy an engine.