LR4 Talk about the Land Rover LR4 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ignition goes off when trying to start

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2021, 01:01 PM
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Ignition goes off when trying to start

Hi folks

Have anybody had an issue with ignition start button? When I press start button without brake (dash lights go on) and then press the brake and press start button again engine will not crank and all the dash lights go off. And when ignition is off I press the brake and then start button all it does it turns ignition on for about 2 secs and then ignition goes back off again. I've managed to start the car by shorting starter motor relay and this is the only way to start the car. Start button replaced, did not help. Any ideas? Thanks

Old 01-11-2021, 01:53 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts

If you've started it shorting the starter motor relay presumably you've ruled out all the obvious stuff like earth connections, both batteries, etc. Have you read the faults?

Old 01-11-2021, 02:30 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by pagoda
If you've started it shorting the starter motor relay presumably you've ruled out all the obvious stuff like earth connections, both batteries, etc. Have you read the faults?
BCM: Invalid signal from ABS Module and Lost communication with Parking Brake Module. Would any of these two not allow engine to start? No faults in ECU or TCM. I've also checked brake pedal switch works fine.

Old 11-15-2021, 04:30 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stoksu
BCM: Invalid signal from ABS Module and Lost communication with Parking Brake Module. Would any of these two not allow engine to start? No faults in ECU or TCM. I've also checked brake pedal switch works fine.
hi did you work out what the problem was my discovery 4 is doing the exact same thing now

Old 11-16-2021, 01:23 AM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by wilber1978
hi did you work out what the problem was my discovery 4 is doing the exact same thing now
yes mate, it was abs pump that does not allow to start if break fluid has not reached correct pressure. I was doing it after lifting the body and all breakes were still disconnected. Ive connected all break pipes bled them up and car started without any issues. Hope this helps in your case

Raf

The following 2 users liked this post by stoksu:
Errant (12-01-2021), Youngin (03-20-2024)
Old 11-16-2021, 01:38 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by stoksu
yes mate, it was abs pump that does not allow to start if break fluid has not reached correct pressure. I was doing it after lifting the body and all breakes were still disconnected. Ive connected all break pipes bled them up and car started without any issues. Hope this helps in your case

Raf
Ah yes that will solve it. I just replaced a broken crank and had body off Also. All brakes are plumbed in but have not blead them yet. Great to know. I was expecting it to be the brake switch on the pedal. Couldn't see anything else on the schematic. Thanks for your reply. 👍

Old 10-01-2022, 10:17 PM
1st Gear

Im getting the same issue with my 2017 disco 5. I had replaced my telematics backup battery and after that the disco will do exactly the behavior describe by the OP. I not sure but i physically unplugged the telematics module from the car to replace the backup battery and now im guessing some configuration got messed up. I have unplugged the main battery and same thing. I have also bought a brand new battery and still getting the same thing. Checked all the fused in the 3 fuse boxes and no issues found. Not sure what to try anymore. Im guessing that the telematics module disconnect and reconnect needs the dealer to reset the ****ing car to start up again? I tried pressing the break as hard as i could but no luck and i did not mess around with the breaks.

Any ideas? Did i fry something?

Old 11-11-2022, 10:05 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Resk8
Im getting the same issue with my 2017 disco 5. I had replaced my telematics backup battery and after that the disco will do exactly the behavior describe by the OP. I not sure but i physically unplugged the telematics module from the car to replace the backup battery and now im guessing some configuration got messed up. I have unplugged the main battery and same thing. I have also bought a brand new battery and still getting the same thing. Checked all the fused in the 3 fuse boxes and no issues found. Not sure what to try anymore. Im guessing that the telematics module disconnect and reconnect needs the dealer to reset the ****ing car to start up again? I tried pressing the break as hard as i could but no luck and i did not mess around with the breaks.

Hi mate, did you manage to figure out a fix for this by any chance? I have a Range Rover sport L494 and facing the same issue, I changed the Telematics battery and since then it’s not starting?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Old 05-18-2023, 10:19 PM
2nd Gear
Default Fix

Originally Posted by Resk8

What ended up being the fix for this? I have the exact same problem on my 17 Range Rover.

Old 07-24-2023, 04:51 PM
1st Gear
Default Fix?

Hi did anyone manage a fix for this same thing is happening with my 2016 evoque

Quick Reply: Ignition goes off when trying to start