LR4 Talk about the Land Rover LR4 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

just bought a landrover lr4

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2010 | 06:01 PM
|
1st Gear
Default just bought a landrover lr4

Hi, my name is Andrew, and I just purchased(albeit a very tight budget) a new lr4 hse. Its been a week and I(my girlfriend) already got it stuck in the mud. Looking for a vote of confidence for my big purchase!

Old 07-26-2010 | 02:15 PM
TReK

Let's see some pictures...

No matter how much you spend on a vehicle or how "techy" it is, off road driving is still heavily reliant on the driver and requires good judgment....so for example driving through a mud pit with street tires that came on it from the dealer

That being said I've heard that the LR4 is extremely capable, it will just take time getting to know what it can and can't handle. Once your budget allows, get some meatier tires and you'll be ready for that mud pit again. Skip ahead to about 1:15 in this video for some inspiration...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4trub1DVc0

Old 08-07-2010 | 07:26 PM
7th Gear

After watching that video I have to ask the OP...How deep was this mud?

Old 08-10-2010 | 11:14 AM
7th Gear

Hmmmmm. They must still be stuck.

Old 08-14-2010 | 11:44 AM
TReK

Meatier tires wont help you don't know how to drive the vehicle in the first place. If you want to avoid getting stuck and getting into trouble take some lessons. Or start small and read the owners manual where it talks about offroading and what to do.

it's amazing what a little reading can do for us.

Old 09-09-2010 | 04:16 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Rovin4life
Meatier tires wont help you don't know how to drive the vehicle in the first place. If you want to avoid getting stuck and getting into trouble take some lessons. Or start small and read the owners manual where it talks about offroading and what to do.

it's amazing what a little reading can do for us.
According to my salesman I am one of the few who have read the owners manual cover to cover; but it doesn't always help. You've got to have good judgment along with good traction where the vehicle meets the road to take advantage of all the capabilities on the LR3/LR4. Stock tires got me stuck in snow here 3 times on our local roads and had to dig out twice and used my Forester with snow tires to pull me out once. I finally got a better traction tire for mud and snow which helped but I still need a more aggressive tire than the Pirelli Scorpion ATR the dealer sold me to get around here in the snow (they were fine on dry surfaces) and off-road. I'm researching possible tires now but better get some soon.

Old 09-15-2010 | 08:37 PM

Not that impressed to be truthful, looked like water with a firm bottom, did not see much mud flying................

Old 09-19-2010 | 01:04 PM
2nd Gear

have had my lr4 for 2 weeks now and phoned the dealer back about the curved lights (signature) on the front,and was told that they only come on on the HSE model as standard,but all three models gs,xs and hse ,use the same lights,so is there a extra bulb holder to be fitted to allow them to come on with the side lights,please help as they look spot on,and as its my first landrover, what a comfortable motor,...

Old 09-19-2010 | 10:07 PM
3rd Gear

I've owned my LR4 for 9 months. I've gone off-roading, added Johnson rods, rock sliders and I run Pirelli Scorpion ATR's. Next purchase will be sump protector and compressor protector.

I've gone through some gnarly stuff and each time gotten home. Closest I've been to being stuck was in snow. 2 feet of water or more, ruts, mud, logs, rocks, steep inclines, steep declines = a lot of fun!

The tires are not the best. Unfortunately there are no companies out there manufacturing an aggressive off road tire for the LR4 19" rims. I continually search. Huge downside. I could change to 20" rims, but I'd rather put my money into the referenced hard ware above.

Do not think your vehicle is not capable. The LR4 has been amazing.

Old 10-23-2010 | 11:17 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Mountain Greg
According to my salesman I am one of the few who have read the owners manual cover to cover; but it doesn't always help. You've got to have good judgment along with good traction where the vehicle meets the road to take advantage of all the capabilities on the LR3/LR4. Stock tires got me stuck in snow here 3 times on our local roads and had to dig out twice and used my Forester with snow tires to pull me out once. I finally got a better traction tire for mud and snow which helped but I still need a more aggressive tire than the Pirelli Scorpion ATR the dealer sold me to get around here in the snow (they were fine on dry surfaces) and off-road. I'm researching possible tires now but better get some soon.
I believe the Scorpion tires are fitted to the larger 20" upgraded rims, and it clearly states on the Web site that these are NOT M/S... These are for street goers. Some M/S should help with this issue you're having... any street tire will not fair well in snow/conditions described. The vehicle is extremely capable.

Last edited by Count Laszlo; 10-23-2010 at 11:20 AM.

Quick Reply: just bought a landrover lr4