LR4 Talk about the Land Rover LR4 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Longtime LR3 Owner, New SCV6 LR4 Owner: What Should I Know?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2020, 09:27 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Longtime LR3 Owner, New SCV6 LR4 Owner: What Should I Know?

Hi all - wanted to say hello. I've had a LR3 for 5yrs and 50k miles and just sold it (which im quite sad about). It was an awesome truck and only cost me $1800 in repairs over 50k miles (minus oil changes, brakes, and DIY fixes on the heater core and air compressor). The new owner is stoked as the LR3 still looked and drove like new at 100k miles.

Im hoping to have the same experience on the 2016 SCV6. Its a Land Rover CPO car with 42k miles but I elected not to get the CPO warranty considering how reliably my LR3 was. I have a few months left on the factory warranty so figured if I can get it thoroughly checked out before that runs out.

Im hoping you SCV6 owners can school me on what I need to be looking out for. What are the weak points on the car, any preventive maintenance items I should ask the dealer to address, how do they compare to the 4.4 V8s, etc.??

My indy mechanic said the 4.4 V8 in the LR3 was bulletproof and will go 250-300k miles no problem. He thought the 5.0 V8 in the 2010-2014 was problematic (timing chain issues?) but had good things to said about the SCV6. He said the plastic coolant pipes could leak under the supercharger but overall a pretty good engine and he hadn't changed out a air compressor on one yet.

My impressions so far:

- it drives way smoother than the LR3. I was surprised about that. The LR3 felt more like a truck compared to the 2016.
- it pulls like a freight train
- the seats and interior are much more comfortable. you have more legroom for tall guys in the LR4.

Questions I have so far:

- I feel some vibration when in idle at stop lights. It goes into eco a few seconds later so not sure if that's normal, but I never had that type of vibration from the Lr3.
- The engine sounds more tinny at idle than the v8 and I heard some clatter. Its not loud at all, but its noticeable compared to how smooth and substantial the Lr3 sounded. Im wondering if that's just "normal" for the V6. Ive read about high pressure fuel pumps getting noise.

Thanks all!

Old 01-27-2020, 11:58 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by thebruce
Hi all - wanted to say hello. I've had a LR3 for 5yrs and 50k miles and just sold it (which im quite sad about). It was an awesome truck and only cost me $1800 in repairs over 50k miles (minus oil changes, brakes, and DIY fixes on the heater core and air compressor). The new owner is stoked as the LR3 still looked and drove like new at 100k miles.

Im hoping to have the same experience on the 2016 SCV6. Its a Land Rover CPO car with 42k miles but I elected not to get the CPO warranty considering how reliably my LR3 was. I have a few months left on the factory warranty so figured if I can get it thoroughly checked out before that runs out.

Im hoping you SCV6 owners can school me on what I need to be looking out for. What are the weak points on the car, any preventive maintenance items I should ask the dealer to address, how do they compare to the 4.4 V8s, etc.??

My indy mechanic said the 4.4 V8 in the LR3 was bulletproof and will go 250-300k miles no problem. He thought the 5.0 V8 in the 2010-2014 was problematic (timing chain issues?) but had good things to said about the SCV6. He said the plastic coolant pipes could leak under the supercharger but overall a pretty good engine and he hadn't changed out a air compressor on one yet.

My impressions so far:

- it drives way smoother than the LR3. I was surprised about that. The LR3 felt more like a truck compared to the 2016.
- it pulls like a freight train
- the seats and interior are much more comfortable. you have more legroom for tall guys in the LR4.

Questions I have so far:

- I feel some vibration when in idle at stop lights. It goes into eco a few seconds later so not sure if that's normal, but I never had that type of vibration from the Lr3.
- The engine sounds more tinny at idle than the v8 and I heard some clatter. Its not loud at all, but its noticeable compared to how smooth and substantial the Lr3 sounded. Im wondering if that's just "normal" for the V6. Ive read about high pressure fuel pumps getting noise.

Thanks all!

Current owner of an LR3 (have 100k miles in it) AND an LR4 (2015) w the SCV6 (have 60k in it.) Some thoughts:

The SCV6 vibrates a lot at idle, drives me nuts. No, nothing wrong with it, they all do it, just a shame it's doesn't have the smoothness of the 4.4 or 5l V8s. It also has start stop which is annoying and will eventually fail (see below.)

Issues I've experienced that are common to some degree:

Coolant pipes, esp the crossover pipe, will almost certainly fail. As will the water pump. I ave had nearly all of my cooling "plumbing" replaced, thankfully under warranty.

Our chain tensioners failed, avoided valve damage but the fix was 30 hours labor + parts. Thank God I got it covered. Thread here:

SCV6 engine noise help
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app

Otherwise largest costs have been due to high rate of wear in the consumables that you know from the 3: brakes, tires, bushings. On the latter, our front LCA bushings and tie rod ends went at 55k v 90k for the LR3.

Overall it's been good and as you can tell we're huge fans on the LR platform. They all have their own character and mystery gremlins, though fewer in the 4 than the 3. Funny story: Our ownership started with a weird issue in the first couple of weeks of ownership. Several times we got the daisy chain of faults the results in HDC, suspension and TR errors. Dropped the car to the stops, no stability control, the lot. After several trips/tows to the dealer (including twice from the mountains over 100miles from home) we were ready to throw in the towel. Got the regional rep involved then LR Corp and they did some testing. Our car was the first to uncover an odd fault whereby when the center cooler box was turned on it would throw a fault that would trip all of the other systems mentioned. Ultimately got it resolved but typical of the LR experience.

Enjoy the new rig!

Old 01-30-2020, 06:14 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 212 Likes on 139 Posts

X2 on the noisy rough idle on the SCV6, I also have a 2016 under CPO. Sometimes it smooths out. I noted that it’s usually only rough when cycling through the annoying ECO mode stop/start. I turn that off each time I get in. Definitely get it checked out before the factory warranty is up. I had both lower bushings replaced, the windshield cowl and the finisher trim replaced under warranty. Both was really wrong with the plastic trim but I complained about wind noise and slight water intrusion and they replaced no questions asked.

Old 01-30-2020, 06:32 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Thx guys!

I brought it over to my indy this week to have him checkout. I was hoping he would find something but said it was solid. Maybe I can go beat the crap out of the bushings for a few months to get those covered under warranty

My also said he's never replaced a compressor on these but the coolant pipes under the supercharger are common. He showed me where they split at the seems. He also said some CPO warranties wont cover it because its a "plastic part". It looks involved but straightforward to replace whenever that time comes.

Open questions after the first week:

- Anybody know what you can use to polish the aluminum step rails? Mine are all stained, likely from the **** the car washes spray on it.

- Any good ways to upgrade the stereo with CarPlay? I read about Naviplus but did not see any actual reviews of people that did it.

Old 02-08-2020, 08:08 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 212 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by thebruce
Thx guys!

I brought it over to my indy this week to have him checkout. I was hoping he would find something but said it was solid. Maybe I can go beat the crap out of the bushings for a few months to get those covered under warranty

My also said he's never replaced a compressor on these but the coolant pipes under the supercharger are common. He showed me where they split at the seems. He also said some CPO warranties wont cover it because its a "plastic part". It looks involved but straightforward to replace whenever that time comes.

Open questions after the first week:

- Anybody know what you can use to polish the aluminum step rails? Mine are all stained, likely from the **** the car washes spray on it.

- Any good ways to upgrade the stereo with CarPlay? I read about Naviplus but did not see any actual reviews of people that did it.
Haven’t tried to polish the rails yet but I have heard mention of 0000 steel wool. I have not found any good options. There is a place out of Australia that has a very expensive option and son dubious reviews.

I heard mention of updated OEM coolant pipes that are not welded together so no seam but have not been able to locate a part number. Haven’t really tried since I don’t need them...yet

Check out landroverWorld.org it has a much more active LR4 forum.

Edit: Found the updated crossover pipe thread
https://www.landroverworld.org/threa...-3#post-210121

Last edited by zski128; 02-08-2020 at 08:20 AM.