LR4 Talk about the Land Rover LR4 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LR4 Breakdown

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2015, 10:16 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts
Smile LR4 Breakdown

It finally happened. After driving to Fla. and back twice ( once with trailer ), check engine light came on for tank vent pump. Reset and installed new cap, still pops on. Went to reset and Smart Key failed, on a rainy day 30 miles from home. Did not lock me out, but pulled key battery and it fell in the bowels of the area between seat and console. Could not find, but found 3 water bottle caps. Found a battery in garage door opener, nothing. Borrowed battery from friend I was visiting in rehab. Nothing. Seems if key fails a safeguard goes into effect and key module separates from key. 24 hrs. later a new battery and Rover is moveable. Towed to dealer and went home after wife came and got me. Not happy with tow company, was too lazy to pull of valance and use tow hoop. Got on knees and showed him hoop, he said that might not be strong enough. Told him it can be pulled up a tree with that hoop. Then he drug it onto flatbed, horrible site. Really hated when he asked if it was in 2 wheel drive or AWD. Told him it is a Rover all time 4X4. He did use plastic sliders. So, my main thing is to say, if Rovers break down so much as a lot of people post, how come the tow companies do not know more about them? Just a thought. Computer reset on module and pump replaced thru emissions warranty. So far so good. They will call when done. This is at 55K miles and they have not asked about any other servicing as I did mention I am Certified and do all my own service, with book to prove it.

Old 12-15-2015, 03:27 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 130 Likes on 119 Posts

Sorry to hear.

I find the tow truck guys in the boonies are the best and the ones near cities and rich areas are the worst.

I blew a tire in NV and the guy who came to tow me knew zilch about LR's but was super friendly and showed me a thing or two about towing/loading.

Old 12-17-2015, 09:39 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Got Rover back. Reprogram keys to module and replace fuel tank vent pump. $852 for 2 hrs. and parts. $100 deductible insurance. Happy camper!