LR4 Talk about the Land Rover LR4 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LR4 Reliability

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2013, 03:36 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LR4 Reliability

Hello,

I am strongly considering buying a new 2013 or used 2012 LR4.

I love everything about this vehicle, but the bad reliability scores from the likes of JDPower make me nervous. What these reports fail to mention are the TYPES of issues consumers have been having with their Land Rovers.

All cars have problems, it's the severity of the issues that matter. Are people making visits to their dealer because their radio isn't working, or because their car won't start???

So I'd like to know... What sorts of problems (if any) have you all had with your Land Rovers?

Apologies if this has been asked before... I'm new to the forum and couldn't find the answers I was looking for.

Thanks in advance!

Old 03-03-2013, 05:39 PM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 2013 LR4. Have had it since Jan and have 2,000 miles. No probs so far.

Old 03-04-2013, 10:28 PM
Drifting

I bought my 2012 in October. Zero issues so far and put on about 6000 km. My only complaint is that it gets fuel mileage on par with a Sherman tank lol. But so far it's also as tough as a tank so what do I care

Old 03-11-2013, 11:58 AM
Drifting

Bought a 2011 new in Sept 2011. 28,000 miles this month. ($450 30,000 mile service)
- oil changed every 7,000 miles.
- issue with driver's door handle (dealer fixed)
- issue with engine timing sensor (dealer fixed)
- rear wiper had to be replaced (dealer replaced)
- dealer chipped roof when installing rails (dealer replaced)
- tires about worn-out (perfectly even wear)
- avg 17 miles/gallon; better than expected for a 5,600 lb vehicle

Stock tires are horrible in the snow, but a dream on the freeway. Buy a second set of wheels and snow tires.

I would buy this car again in a heartbeat; love the "woosh" of low RPM torque; comfortable, flexible without being big.

2/18/16 Update - driver door communication went out @ 45k and battery went dead @ 60k miles. remains a very comfortable, solid vehicle at 63k miles.

Last edited by bates; 02-18-2016 at 08:37 AM. Reason: 2/18/16 update
The following users liked this post:
nzeidman (01-10-2016)
Old 03-12-2013, 07:08 AM
Drifting

We have a 2010 that we bought new, have just south of 60k miles and it's been rock solid. The only problem we had was with the surround camera system that took many trips to the dealer to get fixed. It was a known problem and Land Rover final found a fix and been fine since.

Ditto on the stock tires sucking in the snow. As much as I don't like big wheels on a truck, the 19" rims make tire selection very difficult, particularly if you want something beefier and would suggest going with 20" rims to give you a better selection of tires. Due to the size of our brakes, most (if not all but one) 18" rims won't fit.

Old 03-18-2013, 09:56 PM
5th Gear

I asked this exact question on this board about 3 months ago when I was looking at the LR4. I needed something with three rows and was looking at the Infiniti JX, MB GL450 and the Lexus GX460. I came within an inch of buying a GL450 until I really looked into the reliability of that truck, it was horrific. Made the LR look as reliable as a Camry.
I pulled the trigger at the end of December on a 2012 LR4 HSE executive demo with 9K miles on it. So far after 4,500 miles I've been incredibly happy with it, no complaints and no issues. Like everyone else, the gas mileage is pretty poor. I think I had a few folks from Greenpeace picketing my car in my driveway the other day... I'm averaging about 17.5mpg in a true mix of city & highway driving which I suppose isn't horrible for a truck this size & weight.
Based on a bad experience with a Disco I had about 11 years ago I made them CPO my LR4. I'm covered until 2018 or 100K miles. I'll be curious to see how she holds up after 50K miles but so far so good. I'm very happy I went in this direction.

Old 06-03-2013, 10:09 AM
Overlanding

The LR4 is one of the most competent off-road SUVs in its class. The LR4’s strong V8 makes more than enough power. The LR4 has amazing off-road capabilities and can tackle any kind of terrain.

On the other hand, Fuel economy is very low for its class, and it requires premium gas.

Old 06-03-2013, 10:07 PM
Three Wheeling

Have had mine for 6 months now. Did a proactive oil change at 5k miles and dealer noticed water pump was leaking and replaced it. I also had the brakes bled as my pedal was squishy. They said it had a bubble and they bled it out.

No other issues other than brakes are feeling squishy again 2k miles later.

I drive mostly LA commuter traffic with the occasional road trip to the Mammoth. I have also had it off road twice in some technical terrain and it was quite impressive.

Old 06-08-2013, 09:05 AM
Overlanding

I have a new LR2 and absolutely love it. Semi-retired and kids left the nest long ago, so got the smaller SUV. Great both on and off road without any issues. The new 2L turbocharged EcoBoost FORD engine is very peppy with about 20 mpg city driving. My HSE version has the full entertainment system and Xenon lights with LED signature. Many issues with the new computer for engine, cameras, NAV and entertainment systems on earlier versions have been largely resolved. I have had zero issues thus far and hope you will be as lucky. Enjoy!!!

Old 06-27-2013, 07:21 AM
Three Wheeling

Master brake cylinder was just replaced. Luckily the dealer is 2 blocks away, so no big inconvenience.

Quick Reply: LR4 Reliability