LR4 Talk about the Land Rover LR4 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lr4 slightly stuttering

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2019, 11:44 AM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lr4 slightly stuttering

Hey guys! Im an owner of a LR4 TDV6 and a previous owner of a LR3 TDV6.

Ive noticed a slightly stutter in my LR4 when im really featherlight on the accelerator pedal(while moving/driving), it occurs mostly when the car is on either a flat surface with low roll resistance or going downhill. if i push the accelerator pedal it goes away, same if i release it completely. feels like the car cant decide if it should accelerate or decelerate or keep the same pace. Ive also noticed some kind of juggling when the cruise control is activated and going slightly downhill.

Have anybody else noticed these behaviours and is there any solutions to remove them ?

odo close to 280 000km.

Old 10-30-2020, 11:28 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveLr4
Hey guys! Im an owner of a LR4 TDV6 and a previous owner of a LR3 TDV6.

Ive noticed a slightly stutter in my LR4 when im really featherlight on the accelerator pedal(while moving/driving), it occurs mostly when the car is on either a flat surface with low roll resistance or going downhill. if i push the accelerator pedal it goes away, same if i release it completely. feels like the car cant decide if it should accelerate or decelerate or keep the same pace. Ive also noticed some kind of juggling when the cruise control is activated and going slightly downhill.

Have anybody else noticed these behaviours and is there any solutions to remove them ?

odo close to 280 000km.

I am having roughly the same issue. Did you ever find the cause?

Old 10-31-2020, 07:51 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Oldman846
I am having roughly the same issue. Did you ever find the cause?
The juggling seems to be due to wear in transferbox and increased backlash in front and rear axle. odo is past 300 000km by now so got a spare transferbox on the shelf.

Havent looked into why it sometimes stutters, it doesnt happen that often.

”roughly the same” you say?

Old 10-31-2020, 08:29 AM
Three Wheeling

My D4 only has 67,000 miles. SCV6 Petrol.

To me, it feels like torque converter shudder. Or, drivetrain drag. But, it all started after two cylinder were misfiring. I drove it 15 miles from work to home on 4 cylinders and I'm not sure if that drive damaged anything.

Now That everything is fixed, the shudder is there. It seems to be worse when the vehicle is warmed up. But, just like you, it only happens under light / partial throttle.

I have been wracking my brain, and it could be so many things. I already replaced the rear driveshaft and all of the front suspension components. The fluids are also less that 200 miles old all around...

I'm taking it to a mechanic on Tuesday. I'll leave a post with what he finds

Old 10-31-2020, 12:01 PM
2nd Gear

After you change the fluid, at what temperature is it recommended to check the level? After driving around and going through all the gears, I checked the level and a whole lot of fluid poured out the fill hole.

Old 10-31-2020, 01:54 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by bsumpter
After you change the fluid, at what temperature is it recommended to check the level? After driving around and going through all the gears, I checked the level and a whole lot of fluid poured out the fill hole.
above 69 degrees C--add more until it drips--replace drain plug and wait for it to cool. I normally wait until morning, loosen the fill plug, start vehicle, remove fill plug, add more fluid until it trickles out, and then tighten fill plug, install heat shield and call it a day.

it depends on the transmission: I use this resource for the 8-speed:
https://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic141425.html

Here is a compilation of six speed information:
https://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/thu...php?album=5059

6speed check and fill procedure:
ZF 6HP26, 6HP28 Transmission Fluid Service Procedure

6speed discussion:
https://www.aulro.com/afvb/the-d3-d...o-3-4-automatic-transmission-faq-6-speed.html

Old 11-08-2020, 03:33 PM
Three Wheeling

My LR mechanic found nothing wrong. Suspension is tight. Transmission, diffs, and transfer case are working as they should. No codes and mechanic cannot duplicate what I am feeling. I'm going to shell out the money to road force balance the wheels (balanced 100 miles ago) and see what happens.