LR4 Talk about the Land Rover LR4 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LR4 Timing Chain

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2022, 09:03 AM
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default LR4 Timing Chain

Potential newbie here. I'm aware of the timing chain issue of the 2010-2012 production line. Consensus seems to be the guides can fail at any mileage, but usually around the 100k mark. What I'm not clear on is the inevitability. Will “all” LR4s eventually have this problem? Are there any machines out there beyond 150k, 200k miles with the same chain/guides? Just trying to understand the risk..

Thank much in advance!

Old 02-13-2022, 03:19 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 107 Likes on 89 Posts

Some people have reported long miles and no problems, but not sure if they might have the late 2012 or 2013 models that had updated guides. The problem seems to be two-fold based on my reading.

First, the guides were aluminum and the tensioners had a steel piston that pressed against the aluminum guide to tension the chain. The chain vibrates and the steel piston eventually wears a notch into the tensioner, requiring the piston to travel farther to achieve the same tension. Eventually, the piston can’t travel far enough to keep tension, and the chain starts to slacken.

Second, I’ve heard the hydraulic tensioners themselves can fail. I’m not certain of the mode of failure here, but it might have been a ratcheting mechanism that would fail allowing the chain to go slack once the engine is turned off. Basically, the engine oil pressure is supposed to push the piston out of the device (which presses the guide agains the chain), and a ratchet is supposed to prevent the piston from relaxing entirely, so it keeps a certain amount of tension on the chain when the engine is turned off (my understanding at least).

You can imagine that the first problem is inevitable - if your model had the first gen aluminum guides, that problem is going to happen eventually. I think they updated the guides late 2012, though I’m not certain about that. Some people think its related to oil change frequency, but I don’t really see how that’s possible.

The second problem seems like maybe some cars experience it and some cars don’t. And, what I don’t think anyone knows is whether the first problem alone is enough to cause a failure, or whether both things had to happen together to cause a failure.

Bottom line from my perspective: if you’re buying a 2012 or earlier, I’d factor timing chain into the price or get evidence that it’s been replaced. Remember, as well, that if the timing chain was fixed early in the life of the car (e.g., a 2011 with a timing chain fixed in 2012), it might have been fixed with the original defective parts.

Old 02-14-2022, 02:47 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 717 Likes on 603 Posts

The latest settlement seems to imply the issue is up to at least 2014. Yet the settlement itself excludes the early models, angering owners.

https://www.carcomplaints.com/news/2...ttlement.shtml

And I agree on the oil changes helping. Modern oils, especially synthetics, have incredible life. Easily 15k mile intervals in many cases. I don't think there is any solid proof that changing the oil frequently will avoid the issue.

Old 02-18-2022, 05:39 PM
3rd Gear

Thanks for the replies and comments.

I was dialoging with an owner of an independent Land Rover repair shop, been in the business for about 30 years. They service LR4 timing chains about 4 per month. I asked his opinion of the timing chain debacle, and if 2013 is also plagued. His take is different than anything else I've seen:

"Timing chains are a service item. It's recommended to change between 75 to 100k. The quality was upgraded but the real culprit was in the thermostat housing part, this was recalled and most 5.0 have been done. Engine runs hot timing chain stretch and worst case jumped, that was the end of the engine there is no difference in a 2010 or 2022 5.0 engine. Owners need to bring them in for service intervals and yes its costly but it works, I drive a 5.0 with 260K miles with not a problem"

The following users liked this post:
Errant (02-28-2022)
Old 02-18-2022, 05:50 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 717 Likes on 603 Posts

Wow, that's a shop I would avoid. Almost sounds like a shop that sold LR4s that later blew up and then refuse to warranty the work or something so they had to make crap up. Timing chains have already been legally ruled as not a wear item on the 5.0. Besides, its not the actual chains that are the issues but the guides - what a bunch of BS about the t-stat. LOL Would love to see where he gets his recommendation from, def not Land Rover. Timing belts, yes, 100k miles it a pretty typical and known thing. But chains, life of the engine....

Old 02-18-2022, 07:16 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 107 Likes on 89 Posts

With that kind of advice, its no wonder he’s doing 4 chains per month. The statement that “there is no difference between a 2010 or 2022 5.0 engine” is just incorrect. It’s pretty well established that they changed the guides to have steel inserts, and I believe they changed the tensioner design as well. I just don’t know exactly when the changes took place. And I’ve never heard anyone blame the timing chain wear on the engine running too hot. I can’t imagine that running a few degrees hotter would make much difference.

Old 02-19-2022, 06:31 PM
3rd Gear

Thanks, all. Agree that timing chains are generally considered to be worry-free for the life of the engine. If LR really considers timing chain to be a service item, then making it such an enormously invasive and time consuming operation that requires thousands of dollars of new parts, is effectively making the engine end of-life at that point.

If you haven't seen it yet, this video is a pretty comprehensive look at the LR vehicle and its gremlins. At about the 11:30 mark he tackles the timing chain issue and the improved guides: