LR4 Talk about the Land Rover LR4 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LR4 towing / hitch weight for travel trailers

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2020, 01:11 PM
4wd High
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh - I meant to tell the group that the LR did a great job towing. No issues whatsoever with sway. I need to add resistors to the LED taillights of the trailer so the LR will know it has a trailer back there. I did confirm with my shop about a week before this trip that the Body Control Module settings for trailer were set properly - I saw the screen showing the settings myself - but the trailer icon never came on for me when using blinkers. The LED taillights don't have enough electrical draw/resistance to let the LR know it is pulling a trailer is what i have gathered from other posts. It did not recognize that a trailer was hooked up back in September when I towed the Airstream 22 for a week either. I have the factory wiring harness installed and I know the tow settings are correct, so I believe adding the resistor to the LED taillights is the key. I assume the changes to shift point or whatever happens when the trailer is recognized will only make this better at towing, but I had no issues with acceleration, braking, turning, etc. No sway at all on the highway. Very solid feeling.

I have the factory wiring harness, BCM settings correctly set for towing, and am using the Redarc tow pro elite brake controller. I got the brake controller, the adapter that makes it plug and play for the 2012 LR4 and ceramic resistors for the taillights from etrailer.com. They were super knowledgeable and easy to work with. I found the brake controller easy to install and setup. You can definitely tell how the fine tuning affects braking and appreciated the ability to simply dial up a little extra trailer braking for the mountain roads. Hope this helps!

Old 12-03-2020, 08:10 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Thank God that didn't result in a wreck! Thanks for sharing that info. Did you inform the company? Hopefully they'll address these quality control issues ASAP.

Old 12-07-2020, 03:17 PM
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have to question why the securing bolts were loose, twice. Improper installation? No torque wrench?

The following users liked this post:
cperez (12-07-2020)