LR4 Talk about the Land Rover LR4 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is my LR4 "dumbed down"?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2012, 11:46 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Is my LR4 "dumbed down"?

I have just read a post that all LR4's don't have locking diff's and full size spares? I have been reading about the Discos and I am feeling a little slighted when it comes to this being an OFF Road truck... I am feeling like this LR was made for "Sally the soccer mom" instead of "dan the outdoor man"...

Don't get me wrong I love this car so far, I am just reading on this forum and They put wheels on this truck that has an impossible selection of street and all season tires only. The selection of tires is embarrassing... I have been looking for tires for over a week now and have not found very much.

Somebody tell me some reasons for this and if anyone has solved any of these "problems" with the aggressiveness of this beautiful SUV...

New LR4 owner...

Old 10-29-2012, 11:58 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

With the LR traction control system (using the brakes to control wheel spin) and other technological advances, the need for locking diffs is lessened. It is a very capable truck without locking diffs for all but the more difficult trails/mud/rickcrawling.

But, the LR3/4 is probably sold more to people using it on-road rather than off, and thus gets more of the creature comforts that suburban demographics prefer in a luxury SUV. It can do just about anything Dan the Outdoor man wants, but maybe not as much as Mike the Moutain climber would.

The tire/wheel combination is definitely targeted to what LR believes/knows their vehicle will most likely be used on: the street

Old 10-30-2012, 12:01 AM
Mudding

That is correct, not all LR4's have a locking rear diff, though they ALL have a center locking diff which is engaged through an automatic mechanism. Ther is an option, called the Heavy Duty Package which gives you a Full Size (19 or 20 inch rim) and an automatic infinitely locking rear diff.

I have seen some videos on YouTube with LR3's without a rear locker on street tires and with all the new technology (terrain response), the computers can control the braking on individual wheels, directing power to where it is needed.

The vehicle is certainly more capable with the locking diff, but even without it it, you should be able to make it through most obstacles.

If it makes you feel any better, they have also made the Tow Hitch an option on the Full Size Range Rover.

I agree with you that all should come with a locker and full size spare, but alas, the accounts seem to be winning. Especially since fewer than 5% of all NEW Land Rover Owners (read as purchased new from the dealership with less than 100 miles) actually ever take their vehicle off road.

Old 10-30-2012, 12:05 AM
Mudding

You can get more aggressive tires, but there are a few considerations. Outside of the Pirelli Scorpion ATR's, there are no choices for the 19" rim. If you have the 20" rims, you can get a wider tire, BUT need to buy Johnson Rods in order to get adequate clearance. This can have an impact on overall ride quality.

If I can dig up some YouTube videos, I will try and post.

Old 10-30-2012, 12:08 AM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by BD_LR4
You can get more aggressive tires, but there are a few considerations. Outside of the Pirelli Scorpion ATR's, there are no choices for the 19" rim. If you have the 20" rims, you can get a wider tire, BUT need to buy Johnson Rods in order to get adequate clearance. This can have an impact on overall ride quality.

If I can dig up some YouTube videos, I will try and post.
Thanks,

Have you seen the Nitto crosstec at NTB or Big O tires? It is exclusive to them has a 50,000 mile tread life and seems to be more aggressive than everything expect the ATR that you mentioned...

Old 10-30-2012, 12:48 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Kris Barger
Thanks,

Have you seen the Nitto crosstec at NTB or Big O tires? It is exclusive to them has a 50,000 mile tread life and seems to be more aggressive than everything expect the ATR that you mentioned...
I have not seen the Nitto's, but I have friends with Jeeps who are happy with them. I bough the Pirelli's because of the 50,000 mile warranty. It looks like the price has come down a bit. I paid almost $300 a tire and replaced all 5. The Continental Contact 4x4 were actually good tires from a road noise and grip perspective, but they wore out by 20,000 miles. They were also more expensive to replace than the Pirelli's.

I have been off road several times with the Pirelli's and have been quite impressed. While I cannot say I have done any aggressive rock crawling, the sidewalls are actually quite strong.

Old 10-30-2012, 07:22 AM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by BD_LR4
I have not seen the Nitto's, but I have friends with Jeeps who are happy with them. I bough the Pirelli's because of the 50,000 mile warranty. It looks like the price has come down a bit. I paid almost $300 a tire and replaced all 5. The Continental Contact 4x4 were actually good tires from a road noise and grip perspective, but they wore out by 20,000 miles. They were also more expensive to replace than the Pirelli's.

I have been off road several times with the Pirelli's and have been quite impressed. While I cannot say I have done any aggressive rock crawling, the sidewalls are actually quite strong.
How many miles you have on them now? Are they wearing even? Wonder how the Nitto compares to them?

Old 10-30-2012, 08:48 AM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Take a look at the tire sticker on the driver door. Not only does it give you Tire pressures but tire sizes available for that model. An option of say 18 might be available but it has to be a certain width for example 18*9 it has to be nine inches wide or else it wont work. That way you can buy additional rims for offroading to reduce damage and increase tire life.

Old 10-30-2012, 08:49 AM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Nokian Hakkapelittas are the cheapest and the best for the money. You can get snow tires or a really good all season that lasts.

Old 11-04-2012, 11:17 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Kris Barger
How many miles you have on them now? Are they wearing even? Wonder how the Nitto compares to them?
I have over 18,000 miles on them now and still have about 9/16 left. they are wearing well though I did get some very slight feathering as I was planning to rotate every 7500 miles. since that happened, I am now rotating every 3000 miles. all signs of feathering are gone.

they are starting to develop a little bit of noise, and while I expect it to get worse over time, it is not bad at all.

Quick Reply: Is my LR4 "dumbed down"?