LR4 Talk about the Land Rover LR4 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New LR4 owner! But need a bit of help

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2020, 02:22 AM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New LR4 owner! But need a bit of help

I just purchased a 2015 LR4 HSE LUX from a Land Rover dealership and finally have it home. I found a good deal with all the options I wanted so I flew down to the dealership and drove it home.
As it was a LR dealership and it has its CPO warranty until February 2021, I figured I was pretty safe. That said, there are a few things I am trying to figure out:
  • it has Johnson rods on it and I want to move it back to stock. Are the OEM ones for sale anywhere? Or does anyone know the part number for the rear ones?
  • how does the hitch come off? Turns out there is still one in the cubby in the trunk but there is also one attached. I don’t think it’s locked but also can’t get it out...
  • Kinda surprised how dim and yellow the headlights are. Is this normal? Or just replace the HIDs and it should be fine?
  • speaking of lights, should the headlight button on the key do anything? And is there a cheaper way to get a spare key?

also, while I have 3 months left on the warranty, anything I should make sure the dealer takes a look at?

thanks! And excited to be part of the LR community. Already blown away with that these can do off-road

Old 11-16-2020, 07:44 AM
2nd Gear

• And is there a cheaper way to get a spare key?

Do you need a new key or just the key housing? I have a 2013 and needed a new housing because one of the keys that came with it was disintegrating. Found the housing on Amazon for $12 and moved the guts from the bad housing to the new housing amd now have a brand new key. For $12.

Old 11-16-2020, 08:23 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

Congrats on your purchase.

If you have a spare LR hitch you want to sell, PM me as I'm looking for one. The hitches can get stuck in the receiver and can take a bit of a beating to get them out. Suggest you try penetrating fluid, a mallet and patience. However, if it's locked it won't shift until unlocked.

The headlight button on the key should activate the lights when outside the vehicle. It may need to be re-programmed (see the handbook). Why do you want a new key? You can buy replacement keys off ebay and provided you have one working key should be able to reprogram them using an IID tool. If you don't have an IID tool you really should consider purchasing one. The battery in the keys is easily replaceable if that's your concern.

The lights should be xenon and are very bright. What you describe sounds strange. Either they work or they don't; they don't go dim and if working properly they're excellent (compared to the old LR3 halogen lights, anyway).

EDIT: You can reprogram keys on the LR3 with the IID; I'm not 100% certain you can do it on the LR4 but hopefully someone will be along soon to confirm.

Old 11-16-2020, 11:15 AM
4wd Low

For the key, it only came with one and like to have a spare just in case. So IID tool sounds like a good option here.

One thing I want to make sure I get done before taking it in for warranty work is putting on the stock hight sensor links. I have seen the front ones for sale, but anyone know where I can find the rear ones?
I feel a vibration under braking sometimes and if its the LCA or bearings, I rather not have these on when I bring it in. (and not sure this is the safest thing to have a 1.5" lift on the highways)

When I do bring it in, I want to make sure everything is done over with a fine tooth comb before im on my own with it. I have read about the coolant crossover pipes with the V8; is this something I should primitively replace on the v6?

Old 11-16-2020, 12:17 PM
Rock Crawling

What's the mileage? That will give a clue about the hubs and arms. Depending on how much offroading it's done, you should get 70k on the arms and hubs.

Vibration under braking could be tire pressure and wear or tracking (what's the tire wear like, even or not?) Vibration could also be brake components, and these vehicles do suffer from braking vibration due to pad/disc wear; they are sensitive to this. But start with tire pressures and looking at the wear, and go from there.

Old 11-16-2020, 12:39 PM
4wd Low

Originally Posted by pagoda
What's the mileage? That will give a clue about the hubs and arms. Depending on how much offroading it's done, you should get 70k on the arms and hubs.

Vibration under braking could be tire pressure and wear or tracking (what's the tire wear like, even or not?) Vibration could also be brake components, and these vehicles do suffer from braking vibration due to pad/disc wear; they are sensitive to this. But start with tire pressures and looking at the wear, and go from there.
62k miles and they put brand new tires on before the purchase. Are arms and hubs a warranty item?

Old 11-16-2020, 02:14 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Ameen
62k miles and they put brand new tires on before the purchase. Are arms and hubs a warranty item?
Yes, in my book. I've had success in the past claiming on them with LR UK. You may be in for a fight but I'd kick up quite a stink and push it as far as you can. Or they may just do it for you. In my experience of LR UK, they push back on most things and hope people will walk away, so it's always a struggle. LR USA may be completely different.

Old 11-20-2020, 08:01 PM
4wd Low

Found the suspension links from a local wrecker off of an LR3 and am set! Dropped the car off at the dealership for some of the other stuff under warranty and hopefully they will get my hitch out haha.

Any ideas on brighter headlight xenon options?

Old 11-21-2020, 08:11 AM
Rock Crawling

Stock (as fitted) is excellent. Wonder if yours have a problem?

Old 11-30-2020, 02:34 PM
4wd Low

Just got off the phone with the dealership:
  • They measured some high spotting on the rotors...kinda annoying that I just bought it from an LR dealership. With the majority of the brake life left it probably isn't worth it for me to pay to have it fixed.
  • Hitch receiver - Looks like its locked and it should turn more than than it is. Without the key, they are saying it will have to be cut off and is a complicated job. I am having a hard time believing this...I asked them to call a lock smith and see what they can do.
Does this sound right to you guys?

Quick Reply: New LR4 owner! But need a bit of help