LR4 Talk about the Land Rover LR4 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please Help!!! Want to buy a LR4

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2013, 07:42 AM
4wd High
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please Help!!! Want to buy a LR4

Hi everybody I'm new here and I've negotiated for a 2011 LR4 that I'm really excited about but I have one major problem. The entrance to my common garage is too short for the Nav/Sat antenna on the roof by about 1 inch...

I've been searching and searching for an alternative solution, but haven't been able to find one. This is a make or break thing for my family as we live far from outdoor parking and it just wouldn't be practical...

Anyone heard of anything different for the antenna?

Thanks in advance

Old 04-25-2013, 07:59 AM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Only thing I can think of is to put the LR into Access height before going in or out of the garage but could get expensive if you forget...

Old 04-25-2013, 08:02 AM
4wd High

Originally Posted by stmcknig
Only thing I can think of is to put the LR into Access height before going in or out of the garage but could get expensive if you forget...
the dealership brought in a LR4 in access mode and it still needed an inch. the antenna has to go but haven't been able to find an alternative. thanks tho

Old 04-25-2013, 09:19 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

The aerial antenna isn't for the GPS, it's for the sirius radio, and HD radio. The GPS antenna, for the nav, is underneath the 3rd brake light. The antenna can be removed, or replaced with generic, but it may not look great, and there is a hole in the roof that will need to be filled properly to keep water out.

Old 04-25-2013, 10:52 AM
4wd High

Originally Posted by roverguy7
The aerial antenna isn't for the GPS, it's for the sirius radio, and HD radio. The GPS antenna, for the nav, is underneath the 3rd brake light. The antenna can be removed, or replaced with generic, but it may not look great, and there is a hole in the roof that will need to be filled properly to keep water out.
Thanks for the info! Any idea what kind of generic antenna i could put in its place? Can a qualified body shop plug the hole?

Old 04-25-2013, 11:15 AM
4wd High

Originally Posted by roverguy7
Could I put just a smaller sized sirius radio antenna instead of the big piece?

Old 04-25-2013, 12:01 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Tennis Rover
Could I put just a smaller sized sirius radio antenna instead of the big piece?
Yeah, that would be fine, as far as functionality go. You may need to look a little to find one that will connect right up. I would talk to a good car audio shop before anything else.

Old 04-27-2013, 08:48 AM
4wd High

Here's where I'm at so far: I ended up buying the truck yesterday! What happened was the dealer referred me to the body shop that does all of their work to see if they had some experience with the roof mounted antenna. The owner of the body shop was incredibly knowledgable and helpful. He ended up just unscrewing the antenna and bam all thats there is a bracket glued onto the glass top and a black and white wire coming thru a small gap between the glass and the roof (no holes). Anyone know how I could attach a sat/HD antenna to those two wires?

Old 05-21-2013, 04:10 PM
Mudding
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I am in a similar boat. It just makes no sense to me to have a 3" tall antenna just to house the Sat radio. I measured almost 6'6" to the top of the "wart". I would love to remove it like I did with the LR3 but the wife is still using the Sat radio. I find the sound quality awful so I won't miss it.

There is no hole with the plastic removed.. Just a small tab with a wire..

Old 05-23-2013, 12:20 PM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

my aftermarket Sirius antenna is a "Dot" about 2.5 inches around and only 3/8th of an inch tall, I would think any good audio installer who deals in Sirius should be able to fix the problem fairly easy

Last edited by drowssap; 05-23-2013 at 12:32 PM.

Quick Reply: Please Help!!! Want to buy a LR4