LR4 Talk about the Land Rover LR4 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pre-purchase research

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2020, 12:32 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pre-purchase research

My partner is shopping for a used LR4, and I have been looking for the kind of pre-purchase research material that I would look for in enthusiasts forums for other manufacturers. Does the Rover-driving community have a place where it keeps its explanations of trim levels, or VIN decoders, or anything of that sort? Ideally I'd find a tool where I could submit a VIN and get a listing of features, as I'm finding listings where e.g. the seller claims it's a HSE Lux but that doesn't have rear heated seats. I'm trying to figure out if that means that it's actually a base model where someone has re-badged it, or if maybe that year didn't include heated seats in the HSE trim. Any leads?

Old 12-26-2020, 04:32 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

There are vin decoders but I've never had any luck with the free ones. What does the title say? It should list it - ask to see a copy. The quickest way to tell at a glance whether a vehicle is a HSE or a LUX is to look at the seats. The HSE seats have a central seam about an inch wide from running front to back of the front seats. The HSE Lux seats are 2 cushions with a seam running horizontally about halfway between the front and back. This assumes, of course, that the seats haven't been changed. Rear seats are equally distinguishable. Do a quick search on autotrader to see the difference by looking at an HSE and a Lux; it'll be very obvious. If you don't really know what you're looking at with these vehicles, may I suggest you also consider whether you want the low range box, as it's not fitted as standard in the US after about 2013-14. You can see which vehicle has it by looking at the small panel just forward of the rotary gear selector. Vehicles with the low range box (referred to in the US as the Heavy Duty (HD) package) have 5 modes and a small Hi Lo centrally biased rocker switch on the righthand side of said panel. Vehicles with the HD package should go for more $.

Old 12-27-2020, 08:01 AM
Winching
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

So for some clarity... the '10-'13. all had the 5 selections for off road mode. as well as low range transfer case. The HD in these years was determined by the addition of the rear e-locker. After '14 the HD package meant that it has low range transfer case, this did not mean it also had the rear e locker. That was an extra option, and from what I have seen rare.

Old 12-27-2020, 02:32 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

This decoder is free and works every time. https://www.vindecoderz.com

Must have proof of maintenance - oil changes primarily. Sometimes the CarFax will show it. AutoCheck does not. Get a PPI at a reputable shop prior to purchase.

I’m looking now also, but only a 2013 Lux (HD would be nice too). The 2013 had the NA 5L with timing chain guides fixed. Good luck!