LR4 Talk about the Land Rover LR4 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Strange coolant leak.

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2024, 07:53 AM
Overlanding
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jahummer
Water pumps leak, the last 2 of mine leaked from the pulley shaft seal (you'll see coolant leaking from underneath the pulley), the t-stat housing will leak at some point from the seam, the throttle body hoses can leak, the rear crossover seam will leak at some point, the oil cooler pipe or o-rings will leak at some point (you can see it from the top), then of course there's all the other hoses & pipes which will eventually leak or fail. A pressure tester will make finding a leak much easier.

Something like this

https://www.harborfreight.com/radiat...kit-64758.html
thanks a lot. I am decently mechanically inclined, and do as much maintenance on my vehicles as I can myself. However, I’ve never used a pressure tester at all, let alone on a cooling system.

So, hook it up to the expansion tank, pressurize the system, and look to see if I can spot where the coolant is leaking from? Is that the gist of it?

if so, what’s the benefit of pressure testing? Since it’s already leaking, why can’t I just look for leak without pressure tester? Sorry if this is a dumb question, just trying to understand the process. Although, I have been trying to look and haven’t been able to see anything. I plan to pull skid plate and see where it’s coming from.

On the positive side, there’s no oil leaking currently, and it seems that most coolant leaks (once diagnosed) are *somewhat* easy fixes?

Old 07-10-2024, 08:27 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Unless you can directly see the leak, then a pressure tester's the best way. I originally used a pro kit from PowerBuilt but found it wasn't pressurising correctly so replaced it with the SnapOn one referenced above and it became invaluable in accurately pinpointing the source of leaks.

At some point the valve covers will leak, it's inevitable and the oil vacuum pump's known for leaking but an easy gasket replacement for less than $10.

Old 07-11-2024, 08:47 AM
Overlanding

Unless you can directly see the leak, then a pressure tester's the best way. I originally used a pro kit from PowerBuilt but found it wasn't pressurising correctly so replaced it with the SnapOn one referenced above and it became invaluable in accurately pinpointing the source of leaks.

At some point the valve covers will leak, it's inevitable and the oil vacuum pump's known for leaking but an easy gasket replacement for less than $10.

thanks.

I have been able to get slightly closer to finding where the leak is coming from. I haven’t been able to pinpoint it with 100% accuracy, but I think I’m close… there is a hose barb fitting on the bottom side of the crossover coolant pipe, and there’s nothing connected to it. I have to imagine that should be connected to something? However, with a wide open fitting like that I also would imagine I’d be dumping coolant like crazy, which I’m not.

Old 07-11-2024, 08:50 AM
Overlanding

That is the barb fitting I’m referencing.
it is the best photo I can take at the moment. I have a borescope at home I will pull out and see if I can get a better view.

Old 07-11-2024, 09:10 AM
Overlanding

Also I should include photos of the area in which coolant is actually making its way down to the skid plate and the ground. This is Drivers side.

Old 07-11-2024, 09:14 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by jp_gervs
thanks.

I have been able to get slightly closer to finding where the leak is coming from. I haven’t been able to pinpoint it with 100% accuracy, but I think I’m close… there is a hose barb fitting on the bottom side of the crossover coolant pipe, and there’s nothing connected to it. I have to imagine that should be connected to something? However, with a wide open fitting like that I also would imagine I’d be dumping coolant like crazy, which I’m not.
I'm still going to advise a pressure tester to know for certain, there's too many potential sources for leaks.

The following users liked this post:
guy (07-11-2024)
Old 07-11-2024, 09:30 AM
Overlanding

I'm still going to advise a pressure tester to know for certain, there's too many potential sources for leaks.
I will be picking one up today and will report back.

guy (07-11-2024)
Old 07-14-2024, 07:20 PM
Overlanding

ok, pinpointed the leak after pressure testing and pulling the intake off.

its coming from the coolant overflow hose, the smaller, harder plastic section where it meets the grey piece I photographed above with the open barb. At the connection, there is an o ring and a small plastic half round clip that holds the connection tight. It’s leaking there, if I put pressure by hand to compress the fitting more, the leak stops. Will I need to replace the entire hose assembly or just replace o ring and the round clip? Either way, Should be an easy fix?

also, when removing/replacing this piece, will I need to bleed the cooling system afterwards?

thanks.

Old 07-14-2024, 07:25 PM
Overlanding

Well never mind, the hose broke off under (not so much) pressure to remove it from fitting. Probably time to replace it anyway!

Old 07-15-2024, 11:06 AM
Overlanding

Dealer had that part in stock, swapped it out, topped off coolant, and all is well thus far. Will see after a few heat cycles but I am happy at the very moment. No more coolant smell and no more puddles - for now.

jahummer (07-19-2024)

Quick Reply: Strange coolant leak.