LR4 Talk about the Land Rover LR4 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Strange coolant leak.

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2024, 11:55 AM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just 2014 LR4 3.0L supercharged V6 leak

New to Land Rover I have one that I just purchased and after a week the water pump started leaking. I have replaced that and got the leaks stopped. Now a week later I’m getting a leak only after I’ve driven and turned off the vehicle, if my water temp has gotten to normal. It is coming from the front left of the engine but I can not find a bad hose or connection. Like others it seems to be coming from the timing cover. Is this a common place for a leak. Or should I be looking at the head gasket?

Old 07-17-2024, 12:03 PM
Overlanding
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Mqhunt
New to Land Rover I have one that I just purchased and after a week the water pump started leaking. I have replaced that and got the leaks stopped. Now a week later I’m getting a leak only after I’ve driven and turned off the vehicle, if my water temp has gotten to normal. It is coming from the front left of the engine but I can not find a bad hose or connection. Like others it seems to be coming from the timing cover. Is this a common place for a leak. Or should I be looking at the head gasket?
well I’m new to Land Rover as well, and I had the same leak after driving then turning vehicle off, and same location (front left). I had to take the intake off to see, but there’s a connection where the coolant overflow connects near the throttle body. That factory clip fitting (or o-ring) failed and I was getting leak there.

that is literally the only thing I’ve done on a Land Rover, I’m only 2 weeks in to ownership myself, but it might be worth looking at that fitting.

The following users liked this post:
Mqhunt (07-17-2024)
Old 07-17-2024, 01:36 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

i am assuming by front left you mean drivers side on North American vehicle? If so, carefully inspect the thermostat housing and related hoses as well. housing can split and there are multiple hoses that attach there.

Old 07-19-2024, 11:29 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Mqhunt
Use a proper pressure tester, you're going to need one if you intend to maintain your Rover.