LR4 Talk about the Land Rover LR4 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whirring noise

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2021 | 03:06 PM
|
1st Gear
Default Whirring noise

I am diagnosing a problem with my 2010 LR4 that has a whirring sound. It doesn’t sound gear related and it isn’t engine related as you can put it in neutral while driving and the noise doesn’t change by revving. I’ve changed the fluids I saw in another post with slightly less overall noise but the sound persists. I thought it was a driveline issue before diagnosing further and purchased one but that isn’t it. Do wheel bearings make that kind of sound in a Rover? Also if anyone needs an unused driveline for a 2010 LR4 I have one. They won’t take it back as it was special order. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by NVRovers; 07-28-2021 at 03:09 PM.
Old 07-30-2021 | 07:54 PM
2nd Gear
Default Same here

I've got the exact same thing happening on my 2010 LR4. It sounds like whirring and I feel a bit of vibration from the center of the vehicle and it only happens under load. From everything I have read so far, it seems it might be the transfer case; possibly the chain, a bearing, or a fluid issue. I was also thinking that the whirring could be caused by the propshaft center bearing support going bad. I can move the propshaft about .5 inches in any direction with 15lbs (my best guess) of pushing/pulling. Not sure if that is within spec for a center bearing support.

I don't know if the whirring is related to this, but I also cannot change between high/low gear, the terrain response programs are disabled, and I have the following fault codes for the transfer case:

p2789-00 for clutch adaptive learning at its limit
p0806-00 for clutch position sensor -circuit range performance

But otherwise, the truck drives awesome and I can see why people like these things.

Old 07-31-2021 | 12:18 PM
Rock Crawling

I was thinking carrier bearing on the rear shaft as well. Hard to say. If you have access to a chassis ear (or you want to spend a couple hundred to buy one), it might help diagnose.

On those codes, might look up clutch calibration as a potential solution. I think you might even be able to run a clutch calibration program on the GAP tool if you have one. Or could be a problem with the clutch position sensor or maybe a bad ground on the solenoid or motor. Do you have a service manual?

Old 07-31-2021 | 01:18 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by jlglr4
I was thinking carrier bearing on the rear shaft as well. Hard to say. If you have access to a chassis ear (or you want to spend a couple hundred to buy one), it might help diagnose.

On those codes, might look up clutch calibration as a potential solution. I think you might even be able to run a clutch calibration program on the GAP tool if you have one. Or could be a problem with the clutch position sensor or maybe a bad ground on the solenoid or motor. Do you have a service manual?
Yeah, I have a suspicion it might be the clutch position sensor or the plastic gear in the actuator stripped. The Gap tool is not able to calibrate but I can hear the actuator trying. And the codes persist. I will try to lower the transfer case enough to pull out the actuator and sensor and inspect them this weekend.

@NVRovers I just recently got my LR4 from a salvage auction with 190k miles on it, no service history, and I don't know how long this whirring has been going on. Do you know how many miles your transfercase has on it and when the whirring started? Also, for the driveline you are selling, what components does that include? Thanks

Last edited by Nmar; 07-31-2021 at 01:20 PM.