LR4 Talk about the Land Rover LR4 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would you be concerned?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2024, 06:43 PM
4wd High
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation Would you be concerned?

I am new to this forum, not because I own a LR but because I'm itching to buy one. I am considering a 2016 LR4 Landmark Edition. I understand the rabbit hole I'm about to venture into. I think I'm as crazy as all of you are, but my goodness... I want one so bad! I found one that I'm considering but with no experience, I'm looking for feedback from this community to help me navigate me through this. The LR I'm thinking of purchasing shows this info which I've compiled from the CarFax:
  • Battery replaced - Nov 2017 (1 year after it sold as new?)
  • Shift Lever/assembly replaced - June 2022
  • Exhaust Pipe replaced - Oct 2022 (This doesn't say very much)
  • Heater hoses and water pump replaced - Nov 2022
  • Oxygen sensor replaced, Cylinder head gasket replaced, Cooling system hose replaced, Serpentine belt replaced, Drive belt(s) replaced - All replaced in AUG 2023
  • Antifreeze/coolant flushed 2x aug 23, feb 24
Is this about right? Is there anything else I need to keep on my radar moving forward? I Appreciate any owners who would like to chime in.

THANKS!

Old 04-25-2024, 06:20 AM
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I would keep looking. There will be others out there without the cooling issues.

The following 2 users liked this post by blancaster:
guy (04-25-2024), Ro_Rizzle (05-01-2024)
Old 04-25-2024, 06:44 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

agree with above. If a cylinder head gasket was replaced and all those coolant bits, expect that it defifnately overheated at some point. run away from that one.

The following 2 users liked this post by ugmw177:
guy (04-25-2024), Ro_Rizzle (05-01-2024)
Old 05-01-2024, 10:00 PM
4wd High

Thanks for the feedback guys. Will heed your advice.

Old 05-21-2024, 03:52 PM
4wd High

Hey everyone, I'm still actively searching for an LR4. As I look over CarFaxes and service records I frequently see "Intake Manifold Gaskets" replaced. What would cause the need to replace the Intake manifold gasket and if this seemed to be the only major repair on record, would you move forward with a purchase? I found 2 vehicles with good records, mostly from Land Rover dealerships, and this was the only significant repair. Otherwise, the vehicles seem to be healthy. Any thoughts? Thanks again for your experience and feedback!

Old 05-21-2024, 04:06 PM
guy
Winching
Received 115 Likes on 101 Posts

During manufacture, some intake manifold gaskets were malformed. That would cause the need for replacement.
And purchasing from the dealer is your safest bet. Be sure they come complete with the LR inspection, confirm the warranty, and get the service history .

Old 05-21-2024, 04:20 PM
4wd High

Thanks for your input on this. So if the intake manifold gasket was repaired and that was the only indication of concern, would you be comfortable moving forward with the purchase after repair? It's a 2016 LR4 and has less than 70k miles which is what I like about it. I appreciate your thoughts.

Old 05-22-2024, 09:36 AM
guy
Winching
Received 115 Likes on 101 Posts

I don't know how I can answer that question.
Intake manifold gasket isn't an issue.
Was all servicing done at the suggested schedule? At what frequency was the oil changed? Does the dealership stand behind the sale with a warranty of any sort?
How about the body and frame? rust? has it been cared for?
Good luck!

The following users liked this post:
Ro_Rizzle (05-22-2024)
Old 05-22-2024, 09:51 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

more often than not on the v8 and the v6 petrol, when one is replacing the plastic cooling pipes [front crossover] and rear heat manifold, the intake gaskets are replaced as a matter of course since the intakke has to be removed to access said parts. Not concerning in and of itself.

The following 2 users liked this post by ugmw177:
guy (05-22-2024), Ro_Rizzle (05-22-2024)
Old 05-25-2024, 01:51 PM
4wd Low
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I am not sure why people suggest running away, as at some stage a lot of the work described will be needed. As ever, it is about context. I have had cooling hoses replaced, and a weeping head gasket. The work under warranty costs a fortune, but it was all done without failure, it was preventative. The cooling issues are well known, and the cross-over pipes will need replacing, it sounds like they were done. You would have a huge number to pay if they had not been replaced.

On a UK car (I am UK/USA living and have LR4 in both) I did have the gearbox change module changed.

You have stated the mileage, but a lot is needed between 50 and 65 k miles, add in LCA bushes for example, and do change the battery every 4 years, it is not worth the stress of fault codes due to a low charge.

As I say, with out more detail it is hard to offer solid advice, but I would be pleased to see a lot of that work completed, as it will be needed. Others feel differently as above.

Quick Reply: Would you be concerned?