Modifications Done some work to your Land Rover to make it better on road or off? Talk about it here!

2" lift kit

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 02:03 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2" lift kit

I really want a lift on my 98 disco. Wondering if anyone knows the best type and brand kit to use on my model.

Old 06-01-2011, 02:08 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

depends on what you plan on doing with your truck. i like the Terrafirma kit for the price. if you are staying on pavement get the med, if you plan on going off road and aadding bumpers and winches etc. get the HD

Old 06-01-2011, 06:54 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by hilltoppersx
depends on what you plan on doing with your truck. i like the Terrafirma kit for the price. if you are staying on pavement get the med, if you plan on going off road and aadding bumpers and winches etc. get the HD
+1

After talking with several Land Rover experts, I've settled on the Terrafirma HD 2" lift for my 1999 Disco II. Great on road, great off road and a real value. It'll be at least a few months before I get it installed (other things first: drive shafts, rock sliders, etc.), but I'm looking forward to that mod (along with bigger tires!) more than anything.

Old 06-02-2011, 07:55 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Why haven't you done your drive shaft yet, waiting for it to fail and take out your tranny? Now with that new drive shaft angle you stand a much better chance of having it fail real quick.

Old 06-02-2011, 09:10 AM
Winching

No kidding, listen to Mike! My truck has been meticulously maintained since new, head gaskets lasted 100k, all maintenance done, all recalls taken care of, seriously the truck still looks new and purrs like a kitten. Was smooth as glass, no vibrations, the picture of perfect health. Took it over to a buddy's transmission shop to do the 100k service and while greasing the one zerk in the front U-joint my buddy says "Uh oh, you have a big problem" Yep, sure enough the U-Joint next to the t-case output had 2 split cups and no needle bearings left in it. We rebuilt it the next day. That was a real close call. Or you can learn the hard way. My tranny guy is really good and knows these LR/Mercedes units like the back of his hand. I'm sure he'd quote you a fair price to put in a new transmission ;-p

Old 06-02-2011, 10:40 AM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Gents, he has a DI, his front drive-shaft doesn't have homicidal tendencies

FWIW, I have the medium duty OME kit and love it, but then again anything would have been an upgrade from the worn out stock suspension.

Old 06-02-2011, 11:35 AM

please excuse DiscoMike and Photocrimes, nothing is going to explode... as for suspension i say TF it actually is 2 1/4" and i have heard from more than one person that the OME doesn't hold up over time. That's why i chose the TF plenty of good reviews from across the pond.

Old 06-02-2011, 11:38 AM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by hilltoppersx
....and i have heard from more than one person that the OME doesn't hold up over time.
Apologies for getting sidetracked, but where, pray tell, did you hear such a thing???

Old 06-02-2011, 12:09 PM
Winching

Doh! Never mind the man behind the curtain. Oops, sorry. Still sound advice for a D2 though ;-)

Old 06-02-2011, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by yloDiscoII
Apologies for getting sidetracked, but where, pray tell, did you hear such a thing???
Not to alarm you, it’s not going to fail you on the trail just some trail talk I’ve been involved in where people had said they didn’t think they got the mileage out of the OME kit that they should have. same with the RTE powdercoating.. sure they are great products, but could be improved.

Quick Reply: 2" lift kit