Modifications Done some work to your Land Rover to make it better on road or off? Talk about it here!

Anyone got Exhaust system recomendations ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2009 | 01:16 AM
|
Three Wheeling
Default Anyone got Exhaust system recomendations ?

Anyone have a exhaust system recommendation for a 2004 Disco II ? Something simple, not to loud or off roadish just something that does the job of adding a little more horse power with a nice sound to it.

Last edited by ALEXAN; 08-23-2009 at 01:20 AM.
Old 08-23-2009 | 07:43 AM
Administrator

What is wrong with yours?

Old 08-23-2009 | 04:22 PM
|
Three Wheeling

Nothing really I just would like to change it possibly adding a little more horse power

Old 08-23-2009 | 10:43 PM
Rock Crawling

cut out the muffler and replace it with a magnaflow

Old 08-25-2009 | 08:06 AM
Recovery Vehicle

im runnin two twelve inch glaspaks instead of mufflers to dual exits... probably a little louder than you would like...

Old 08-25-2009 | 09:27 AM
Mudding

If you're looking to get a throatier sound, then great! If you are looking for more horsepower, bad news. D2s are heavily engineered to the point that adding any significant horsepower involves a lot of heavy modification, and exhaust mods alone aren't going to cut the mustard.

Sooo, with that being said, start by cutting off the resonator. That's the can behind your rear wheel. It'll give a slightly throatier rumble to your exhaust.

**If you do this, be sure to have a new tip installed and turned down!!**

I made the mistake of just cutting off the resonator and left it at that. The result was the exhaust blowing straight back into the rear bumper, weakening the clips for my tail light, and ultimately blowing it out. Two new drivers' side tail lights later, and I finally got some extra exhaust pipe welded in to replace the void, and had the tip of it turned down. This directs the exhaust toward the ground.

After this, if you're still looking for some more sound, start shopping to replace the stock muffler with a Magnaflow, Dynomax, or Flowmaster. Beware of the unique acoustic qualities of the large open interior of the Discovery. The sound of the muffler will reverberate pretty well through the inside, so you'll definitely want to go with a muffler that is a little more tame if you don't want to have to combat the drone of the muffler at highway speeds with your volume *** on the stereo...

Old 06-11-2010 | 08:20 AM
Recovery Vehicle

My resonator removed itself voluntarily during a heavy snow this winter. I love the sound and dont really care to fix it. The disco is up for inspection in july, is it safe to assume that it'll pass emissions? If so i'd love to just slap a turn down on this and be done. Thanks

Old 06-14-2010 | 02:12 AM
Mudding

You shouldn't have any trouble passing emissions as you're only missing the resonator - you've still got two catalytic converters and one muffler in place. Should be plenty to keep you nice and legal....

Old 06-14-2010 | 09:03 AM
Recovery Vehicle

thanks java racer. One more quick question. About the same time my resonator came off my check engine light came on. The guy at autozone said the code was showing p1178. It's my understanding that this has something to do with the O2 sensors. Do you think it's in any way related to the resonator or should i pul and check my sensors?

Old 06-18-2010 | 08:38 PM
Overlanding

Removing the resonators in your exhaust system shouldn't set off any codes. It could just be a coincidence that something else went wrong, but before we get into that, are you certain they removed the resonators and not the cats?

Last edited by archebald23; 06-21-2010 at 09:15 PM.

Quick Reply: Anyone got Exhaust system recomendations ?