Modifications Done some work to your Land Rover to make it better on road or off? Talk about it here!

Cold air intake for a 98 D1

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2019, 06:53 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Cold air intake for a 98 D1

wondering if anyone has put one of these on a D1 and had success?
This particular unit is off a Subaru

Old 03-07-2019, 09:27 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

The PO had one on mine. It was a magnet for water ... these engines really don’t like sucking h2o. I converted back to the stock air box.

A sponge in the desert

Old 09-05-2019, 03:07 AM
Mudding
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Your fooling yourself as the engine's now sucking more hot under the hood air as well not pressurized intake air.
On the 95 D1 I removed the filter box snorkel, murdered a wrecking yard air box for the snorkel. Added two 3" diameter 45 degree rubber intake tubes butted together making the perfect offset.
Mounted offset to the air box lip's 3" OD where the snorkel used to lock into, other end of offset just poking through the radiator support hole allowed for removal of the left headlight lamp. A perfect snug fit through the hole. Cold, dry ram air you can feel the difference in power increase feeding the engine with cold dense air charge.
Compressed ram air entering the grill slots at speed but no rain as rain can not make the 90 degree turn to the left and behind the left headlight.One hose clamp to the air box to remove the two 45 degree tubing offset replacing it with the modified snorkel from the murdered air box. Snorkel's one shot assembly lock latch has to be ground off able to be installed to pass the smog check visual inspection plus able to be removed again. Back to the ram air tubing system taking a minute to swap out, been doing this the past 20 years dealing with the bi-annual smog checks......~~=o&o>......

Last edited by BierNut; 09-05-2019 at 03:13 AM.
Old 01-15-2020, 06:54 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can you post pics of your intake?

Old 01-17-2020, 03:13 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 846 Likes on 633 Posts

I'd like to see pics of this too.

Old 01-17-2020, 08:24 PM
Mudding

Running down the replies in order posted, my personal opinions as well what works for me results, don't shoot me;
"dialtonehero57", whatever you paid for it, sell it on Ebay and recover your money. Your answer below after my replies to others below, please wait.
"NVROVER", your missing the airbox with lid also, sad. Time to hit Ebay or wrecking yards to go back to factory, please wait.
Skip reply #3, that's me I do my own research and modifications, no trial and error with success the first times out. Oh God these LR's need help.
"vegas99d1", your after the crossover production run, I bet your engine has the "twin logs" cast aluminum intake plenums with curved runners down to the heads, If so I can't help you. Only have interest in the GEMS style ram tubes under the plenum hat intake systems. If your a GEMS 94 to 98 you you should be good, please wait.
I believe the 96 to 98 (OBD2 yuck, several reasons owning a 95 D1 plus being a 5 speed sealed the deal).
Those above with under hood oiled filters they are father back from the radiator support now sucking in more heat into your intake air, not good increasing chances of detonation plus decreased power. Knock sensors retarding timing this is not a power maker.
Best offer presently is on Ebay for those now without their OEM air boxes with covers possibly needing the intake tube from airbox to air mass meter also to complete their systems.https://www.ebay.com/itm/1994-1999-L...item36546e6be2
Must mention 96 (97 & 98?) have the air intake temp sensor added to the airbox vs none on the 94-95 US models.
Play fair whoever bids and wins or scores in a wrecking yard for parts.
As I mentioned above I had to murder a wrecked D1 for the snorkel (airbox was already broken from a left front hit) not damaging this replacement snorkel. I busted out my airbox snorkel saving the airbox. Note, grind off the one way catch now allowing removal of the snorkel for installing the cold air ducting. The ducting I used from a Ford of the 85-87 era back in 2000 so I forgot the model. I recall removing two 3" ID diameter 45 degree hoses that have cloth reinforcement molded into the rubber. Between the two donor vehicles the two 45's plus a 2" long piece of 3" exhaust tubing with hose clamps making the perfect offset as well length required now slipped over the snorkel mounting stub as well poking through the hole in the radiator support right behind the left headlight at the socket. I needed every bit of this two piece offset in length, only having app 3/8" sticking out forward of the radiator support bracket. This tubing also a perfect fit in that support hole.
Removing the cold ram air tubing then installing the snorkel plus altering the TPS (throttle position sensor) to factory position i'm ready to do a smog check and pass taking 90 to 120 seconds to complete. Back home reverse procedure another 90 to 120 seconds time to convert. TPS rotated to change the voltage signal to the computer altering the fuel / air ratio the full scale from at idle up to full throttle. Very faint line (cut) by razor blade for easy rotating the TPS to the voltage spec of the Mark Adams "Tornado" chip which stays in the ECU passing **** Kalifornia snog checks every time. Actually "TOO CLEAN" of numbers. Not bad for a 4.6 engine with several other hidden internal tricks, Borla exhaust, street only fun.

Far as photos i'll be out of town a week plus my 95 D1 is all covered up, tyres (love that spelling) and disc brakes covered up from rain and rust. "Rupert" is put away until later besides we've been hammered by constant rains living in the San Francisco bay area (east bay) weeks on end.
Not much to see beyond what I explained but will post photos when I have a chance and weather permitted.
I gots to run, plane to catch tonight, PROST!.....~~=o&o>......

Old 02-02-2020, 12:13 AM
Mudding

Finally returned home. BTW looks like a 20 AM mass meter as used on the 4.0 as well 4.6 litre engines. They flow more air than the 5AM as used on the 3.9 engines. Funny, 3.9 and 4.0 engines have identical bores and strokes, fooled the public. MY simple cold ram air installation, follow the tubing passing just ahead of the radiator support for cool dry ram air no under hood heat https://photos.shutterfly.com/full/84737102391, LR (power) improvement projects, intake extension now 2,715 rpm max torque vs 3,100, (NASCAR programmed specs entered)) pulls like a locomotive plus still rather hard up to the 5,900 rev limiter, Mark Adams chip a must if you want improved driving pleasure. https://photos.shutterfly.com/full/84737103434, without extensions https://photos.shutterfly.com/full/84737102874, with, note IAC just below the cowling as well almost touching hood padding https://photos.shutterfly.com/full/84737102417. One added feature now able to lift the fuel rail and remove injectors without removing the plenum and trumpet base plus plumbing. Built a pressure vessel allowing pressure cleaning injectors https://photos.shutterfly.com/full/84737102968, injectors flushed forwards then back flushed, spray patterns checked before making up a set of 8 flowing within 3/4% flow numbers from a simulated 200 rpm to 8,500 rpm's frequency pulses, 5% to 90% duty cycles. Replacement Bosch 4 hole injectors are light years ahead of the single dribble Lucas injectors of the 80's era. Restrict the "hot plate" under the throttle butterfly allowing 80*F to 82*F warmed intake air vs blistering 182*F engine coolant temps. Cooler denser air unless you dislike making power and torque? https://photos.shutterfly.com/full/84737103272, https://photos.shutterfly.com/full/84737102653, injector driver, Hz (frequency), duty cycle with timer unit to accurately measure injector flow volumes. Regulated pressure to the cleaning vessel chamber, Burette tube used in volume checking during 5 minute testing runs. https://photos.shutterfly.com/full/84737102711. Other items demanding attention, port matching the intake, heads to exhaust as well higher flowing Cats (passes Calif. smog "too clean") plus an exhaust system to let these little engine breathe like a stainless Borla Cat back exhaust. Sounds like a 289 Mustang when stirring the stick. Distributor ignition altered to the engine's new state of tune, cam plus roller timing set installed, ya gota love these OB1 engines. Hope this helped?.....~~=o&o>.......

Last edited by BierNut; 02-02-2020 at 12:22 AM.
Old 02-02-2020, 01:28 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 846 Likes on 633 Posts

Darn... I can’t see your pics unless I register on Shutterfly.

Old 02-02-2020, 07:58 PM
Mudding

JUKE179r, dog gone it (other much worse choice of words) the photos didn't open up. They did at my end, no kidding?
I had a camera used for one purpose only documenting all the D1 projects I added or modified an old camera I could get greasy dirty without the wifey killing me. With it also three filled cards stolen out of the D1 while grabbing a hot dog.
What came about was "shutterfly" popped up recently showing photos of 10 years ago a memory lane thing including a dozen covering the LR hence posting a few. Other photos I do not want public unless I have armed guards 24/7 around my property.
Anyone have a clue how I can get them released i'm game? Shutterfly still exist? I'll look into this matter, sorry boss.
I did post photos years ago, this forum or another under "BeemerNut" I recall then then accused of "PLAGIARISM". I've been silent on all LR forms the past 6 to 8 years since as my schitt works, the rewards of my efforts are the smiles driving it.....~~=o&o>......

Old 02-05-2020, 03:16 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 224 Likes on 194 Posts

Just load the photos here with the upload tool.

Quick Reply: Cold air intake for a 98 D1