Modifications Done some work to your Land Rover to make it better on road or off? Talk about it here!

Diff Locker Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 11:54 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Diff Locker Question

Has anyone got suggestions as to what diff lockers are available for Landrover Discovery. I have a 1998 Tdi and it seems a lot of locker manufacturers don't cater for Landrover.

Old 01-21-2011, 08:06 AM
Rock Crawling

ARB is what I run.

Old 01-21-2011, 02:32 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Where are you located, how much and what sort of wheeling are you doing and are you looking for both front and rear?
I would suggest you go on line to GreatbasinsRovers.com and read up on what Bill has to offer.
I run a rear Detroit and a front T.T. and love it.
If you have any questions and are in the States or Canada, send me your number if you want me to call you.

Old 01-21-2011, 03:35 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

he is in Australia

Old 05-22-2011, 10:17 AM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
Where are you located, how much and what sort of wheeling are you doing and are you looking for both front and rear?
I would suggest you go on line to GreatbasinsRovers.com and read up on what Bill has to offer.
I run a rear Detroit and a front T.T. and love it.
If you have any questions and are in the States or Canada, send me your number if you want me to call you.
I do not mean to bring this thread back from the dead, but I am interested in your setup. How does having the Detroit in the rear affect winter driving? I used to have one in the rear of my wrangler and hated it in winter anytime I went over 15-20 mph.... I am sure it did no help that I had an Aussie up front.

Old 05-23-2011, 07:33 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

The only time it bothers me is in deep snow, off road, while climbing and when off camber. Then it wants to crab walk a little, but I have learned how to drive around it.
The rest of the year, it is great.

Old 05-23-2011, 12:07 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
The only time it bothers me is in deep snow, off road, while climbing and when off camber. Then it wants to crab walk a little, but I have learned how to drive around it.
The rest of the year, it is great.
Thanks I will have to look into it more. I was leaning towards arb front and rear.

Old 05-24-2011, 05:46 PM
Rock Crawling

You will like ARB's. Best of both worlds.

Old 05-24-2011, 06:25 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Roverrocks
You will like ARB's. Best of both worlds.
They're just so expensive. I do however already have the air compressor for them.

Old 05-25-2011, 12:09 PM
Mudding

I bought remanufactured third members from Great Basin Rovers. The advantages for me are that they can built them with housings modified for thrust bolts, and they do the complete assembly for you so you don't have to go around looking for a carrier bearing puller or whatever else you might need that you don't have. They come with all new bearings, the ring and pinion of your choice, and the carrier of your choice. I chose Detroit Locker and Truetrac over ARB but GBR sells all of them. To install them you should just have to pull the driveshaft off, pop out the axles and slide in the new third, then reverse everything and you're good to go. The old thirds go back to GBR as cores.

Cost is one reason I didn't go with ARB. The other reason is the Detroits work automatically which means I do not need to anticipate when I need to lock the diffs, I do not need to interupt my driving to lock them as I start to spin, and I do not need to decide when to unlock them afterward.

It depends on the type of driving you do. I do casual trail driving not competition rock crawling. The point of my driving is to get where I'm going. I do not go over a piece of ground simply to challenge my vehicle capabilities and driving skills. If I was driving purely for the sake of driving then I would want ARB lockers AND cutting brakes. 100% of my attention would be on driving. I would be totally involved in wheel turning, button pushing, pedal actuating and lever pulling. Not having total control of my differentials in that type of driving would be bothersome -- but I do not drive that way.

I drive with only enough attention on the vehicle to stay out of trouble. I don't want more buttons and levers. Considering that and the additional cost of ARB's, plus the cost of the air compressor and lines, the Detroits make more sense for me.

Quick Reply: Diff Locker Question