Modifications Done some work to your Land Rover to make it better on road or off? Talk about it here!

Disco II Roller Rocker Project.

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2016, 12:15 AM
4wd Low
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up Disco II Roller Rocker Project.

I thought I would share a bit about my 2003 D2. I overhauled the engine about 30k ago due to slipped sleeve. New top hat sleeves from Turner Engineering in England, bearings, heads overhauled, all assessories and sensors overhauled or replaced. The rockers have failed twice. Not really failed but one or more started ticking. Arrrrrrgggggg. I searched for roller rockers to upgrade the system but found no easy fix. Called Yella Terra but none available in the US. I suggested they contact Rovers North and Atlantic British as possible distrubutors. Called Harland Sharp and the reluctantly sold me a set but stressed they were not bolt on. That turned out to be very true. The Harland Sharp rockers are excellent but get ready for a bit of figment and research. Custom pushrods from Manton, 3/8" valve cover spacers water jet cut locally (Laser cutting services in Birmingham AL), I made aluminum rocker spacers on my lathe instead of using the stock springs, and replaced the lifters just for the heck of it. The valve cover spacers have a trickle down affect. The upper intake now has to be clearanced to clear the higher valve covers. More to come.

Good view of custom rocker spacers.

Valve cover spacers in place.

Manton push rods. A bit shorter and smaller ball on the rocker end.

You can see the valve cover spacers installed.

The following users liked this post:
Karmakannon (03-07-2022)
Old 12-19-2016, 08:28 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

Beautiful engine. Those rockers are art!

Old 12-21-2016, 10:07 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 91 Likes on 82 Posts

looks great !.....what ratio rockers did you use ?

Old 12-22-2016, 03:50 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 208 Likes on 182 Posts

Should be a nice strong motor.

Old 12-22-2016, 07:39 AM
4wd Low

Ratio is 1.6. I had to clearance the pushrod holes for the larger pushrods and the increased ratio.

Old 12-23-2016, 08:38 AM
4wd Low

Harland Sharp

Old 12-24-2016, 12:10 AM
4wd Low

I finished up my roller rocker project tonight. All good. This was a fun project but took a lot of engineering on the fly. As a result of the valve cover spacers, the upper intake plenum had to be clearanced, the secondary air pipes had to have their mounting holes elongated, and I used six plenum gaskets stacked. The end results sounds great. It smoothed out as soon as the lifters filled with oil and he engine has never been quieter. I backed it out of the garage and topped the fluids but haven driven it yet. (By the way, I use Toyota red coolant) Will make a grocery run in the morning. This would have been much easier on the engine stand vs the engine bay. I am happy to answer any more detailed questions for the forum if needed. Best regards. Richard.

Old 12-24-2016, 12:15 AM
4wd Low

If anyone on the forum needs valve cover spacers, Laser cutting services in Birmingham Alabama has the file under my name. Ask for Keith Waters. Laser Cutting Service, Inc. | Birmingham, Alabama - Contact Us

XCELLER8 (04-02-2018)
Old 01-02-2017, 07:24 PM
4wd Low

Quick update. The roller rocker project seems to be a success. I have a few hundred miles on the D2 since the upgrade and all is quiet. I would like to say that I can feel a performance increase but the gain is probably marginal. Quiet valve trane though. Hopefully will be more durable than the originals. Total project cost was under $1000 but that doesn't count a good bit of free labor. All good, Richard

Next project is adding a set of auxiliary driving lights using an OEM Land Rover wiring and switch kit and a set of LED lights attached to the factory soft bull bar.

The_OGCJR (06-12-2018)
Old 04-02-2018, 01:11 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey, I'm thinking about doing the same modification. My rocker gear is shot and roller rockers are cheaper than the standard setup.

Did you notice any difference to fuel consumption. Also, were/are they any issues with sealing with the multiple gaskets? Would it be better to machine a spacer?

Quick Reply: Disco II Roller Rocker Project.