Modifications Done some work to your Land Rover to make it better on road or off? Talk about it here!

Frankenstein-ing out SAI -- Impossible?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2017, 11:33 PM
Overlanding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Frankenstein-ing out SAI -- Impossible?

I have two motors from two land rovers. They're both discoveries, and as far as I can tell, they're the same motor.
The newest one overheated, and is now occupied by the thick greenish grey goop associated with catastrophic head gasket failures or warped/cracked parts.
The worst part of the new motor is that it seems to have a mechanical parasite... Secondary Air Injection. An "option" applied in such a gopnik way, it makes me wonder if the original engineers/designers even knew that it was implemented... anyway...
If the worst is true, and the newest motor is shot so far to hell that it is unable to be salvaged, what has to be transfered from my old land rover into the new land rover so that the Check Engine light is not on 24/7?
I figure so far that I could switch over a non SAI computer and non SAI fuel pump to make the car forget it ever had SAI, but I fear that this problem can't be solved as easily.
I have many replacement parts at my disposal, as I had a perfectly running land rover that was supposed to be donating its engine to the new one.
Forgive me if this issue has already been discussed, but the keywords for searching bring up different issues that involve the engine that don't exactly fit my situation.

Oh, and I don't need to be passing any exhaust regulations or whatever since I live in a country that values FREEDOM.

Last edited by Scarf; 08-12-2017 at 12:10 AM.
Old 10-30-2017, 06:30 AM
Mudding
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I have not tried. Easier for me to find SAI fuel pumps than non SAI. I wondered the same thing.

Old 12-19-2017, 08:46 PM
Drifting
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I recently had a rebuilt engine installed in my DII. It originally had the SAI. We just plugged the pipes coming out of the head. It throws a code but runs great.

Old 12-19-2017, 09:22 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,465 Likes on 1,196 Posts

good to see you posting Lake

Old 06-25-2018, 04:58 PM
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Hello,

I have a solution for eliminating the secondary air injection and all it's components without a check engine light. Please DM me for more details.

Thank you,
Steve

Old 06-25-2018, 05:05 PM
TReK
Received 480 Likes on 403 Posts

Originally Posted by Steveohouston
Hello,

I have a solution for eliminating the secondary air injection and all it's components without a check engine light. Please DM me for more details.

Thank you,
Steve
Would you want to post that too??

Old 06-25-2018, 05:09 PM
6th Gear

I suppose I can, just didn't know the forum rules and didn't want to post something not allowed.

It is an ECU reprogramming that shuts off the diagnostics and stops the check engine light for secondary air injection problems. Basically making it so the ECU doesn't know/care about the secondary injection.

We can also change timing maps, fueling, other error codes (to some extent), etc.

Old 06-25-2018, 05:14 PM
TReK
Received 480 Likes on 403 Posts

Originally Posted by Steveohouston
I suppose I can, just didn't know the forum rules and didn't want to post something not allowed.

It is an ECU reprogramming that shuts off the diagnostics and stops the check engine light for secondary air injection problems. Basically making it so the ECU doesn't know/care about the secondary injection.

We can also change timing maps, fueling, other error codes (to some extent), etc.
I think alot of people here would be interested in what you can do.
I would be interested to hear about more about timing curve changes, and air/fuel ratio.
Have you dyno tuned and made a better base map than factory?
This needs it's own thread.
You will need to talk to a moderator about advertising, but general discussion is fine.
Please tell us more.

Old 06-25-2018, 05:29 PM
6th Gear

Basically we have full access to the ECU and all diagnostics, mapping, etc for the Discovery II.

I have not done anything with the timing curve, fueling, etc, yet because we've just been working with the error codes to make sure they were eliminated and didn't pose any drivability changes or other issues. On our "off-road" 2004 Disco II we have eliminated secondary air injection entirely, catalytic converters, secondary O2 sensor entirely, and set "Ready Codes" in the ECU.

The actual ECU is not a bad ECU, though the way Rover chose to operate it is a bit funky. It's basically the same one we have been working with for years and been making changes for big HP in other applications so tuning for gains is more a matter of time to do it and getting on an AWD dyno than difficulty (we only have a 2wd dyno). We've done some big HP levels and still have the cars run well enough to pass tail-pipe emissions tests without a problem.

The downside here is that the ECU has to be shipped back and forth for tuning/programming because the software doesn't allow for remote tuning with a cable. Not really a problem other than the vehicle is down for a period of time but once you get it back, it is plug and play.

The following 2 users liked this post by Steveohouston:
morbengan (07-17-2018), Sixpack577 (06-26-2018)
Old 06-25-2018, 05:34 PM
6th Gear

Actually now that I think about it, can probably run on my 2wd dyno with the front driveshaft out and center diff lock engaged. Hmmm...

The following 2 users liked this post by Steveohouston:
Sixpack577 (06-26-2018), The_OGCJR (07-09-2018)

Quick Reply: Frankenstein-ing out SAI -- Impossible?